X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make this cut?

I'm building a very basic table out of 2x12's, one board for top, one for each side and a cross brace halfway down each leg. I want the sides to angle out from the top for stability. Dado set isn't wide enough to cut a 2" notch so I will cut the end of the leg down to fit in the notch. How do I cut the leg to fit the angled dado and not leave a gap?

I would prefer to cut the legs and make it clean. I could dado a notch into the leg and cut the end to angle to match the top, then use a spline but don't think that would look as clean.

Naturally, the same angle cut problem exists with getting the cross brace into the legs.

Re: How do I make this cut?

I am having a hard time visualizing your dilema. Can you post a drawing or a picture? Maybe I can help.

Comment

Please pardon the crude drawing, but I hope this will convey the idea better.
      Many thanks in advance for any assistance.
      Attached Files

Comment

OK I think I got you. I have never attempted to explain this but here goes. We have to start with the assumption that we are working with 90 degrees between the table and leg and we want to deviate from that to whatever. First determine AND MEASURE the angle at which you would like to have the leg protrude from the table. Crosscut a 1x6 or 1x8 a foot or two long to that angle. Lay your table top on a bench with the bottom up. Orient the angle cut of the 2x8 properly so that the point of the angle is pointed toward the end of the board away from the leg end. Put the 2x8 on edge on your bench next to where you would like your mortise. Now get a mirror, better get two while you are at it you will need another one later. Place one of the mirrors on your bench a foot or so away from and facing the angled end of the edge standing 2x8. Now grab a square that will stand up with the tall end in the air. You don't need a framing square just a tri-square will do. Place the square a foot or so in front of where you would like your mortise with the tall end up. Behind that place another mirror.

Chuck a bit in your drill and get ready drill the mortise. As you look to the side of the 2x12 you are drilling into keep your drill bit parallel to the reflection in the mirror of the angled 2x8. As you look forward, away from where you are drilling the leg mortise, keep your drill bit parallel with the tall end of the reflection in the mirror. Drill out the mortises to whatever dimensions you like and trim them up with a chisel.

Now on to the leg. Since you measured the angle of the cut 2x8 and you know we started with a hypothetical 90 degrees subtract the angle of the cut 2x8 from 90 and that will be the angle of the leg cut that will match the underside of the table. Mirrors and the rest of the stuff aren't necessary to cut the leg. Just lay it out with you new angle, mark it and cut it with a band saw or jig saw. Use of a circular saw in this instance is probably not advisible. Cut on the outside of your marks. At this point the tennon on the leg should be too big for the mortise. Trim it down with whatever you have, a block plane, chisel etc until you have a snug fit inside the mortise. Go easy it doesn't take much to make the tennon too small. Just keep paring away a small bit at a time. It won't take long.

I would probably orient the leg stretchers in the same plane as the legs. In which case cut a mortise in the legs and tennons on each end of the stretcher and glue them in. But here is the deal to complicate the matter a little more. When you make your mortises on the leg cut a small angle, I mean tiny, from the inside of the mortise to the outside on each end of the mortise. When you fit your tennon on the stretchers to the mortises on the leg try for a really snug fit. Cut a saw kerf through the middle of the tennon to the shoulder. Cut a small, long, skinny wedge of wood the appropriate size and after you have glued the tennon into the mortise and before the glue dries, tap the wedge into the saw kerf. That will lock the tennon in place forever.

I hope I have explained this well enough so that it is understandable. It might seem complex to read but in reality it is duck soup. Take a couple minutes and try the layout with cardboard you will see how simple it is.

Ideally others will read this and offer more information. There is probably a more simple way but this works for me and the use of mirrors makes it as though you are standing on the side watching the work and you can see if you are drilling in the correct plane.

Good Luck,
        Tom
        Last edited by Tom W; 02-09-2009, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I would say to make the cut in the leg using a dado, which will get you 90 degrees and take out of the majority of the notch in the leg. Then tip the blade to whatever angle you need the rest of the leg notch cut to, and finish it off.

I'm probably way-oversimplifying it though!

Comment

I would probably route out the pocket on the "top".

then on the leg, I would use the table saw and set for the angle I wanted, and cut the angle on "leg" trimming the inside edge off with out shoulder, and the "outside" edge with a small shoulder, cut the end first, and then lay flat, and trim the shoulder cut and if you want a flat bottom in the dato in the top then trim the end of the board off at the same angle, my guess is your probably dealing with a 10 to 20 degree angle

by using the router one can make a pocket instead of a slot, on the top, if you want a clear across slot then jsut dato it across and make multiple passes, to achieve the width wanted,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````

I you do not want to make an leg cuts besides angle of the leg on the ends, then set the single blade on the table saw and cut the width of the leg on the top piece, and then clean up with a dato head and a chisel, you really have nearly next to nothing to trim out by hand, (my guess is less than a 1/8").

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If one want to get fancy, one could back cut say to 15 degrees on the top,(on the out side), and then cut a shoulder on the leg and make a sliding dovetail,

clean out with a dato head and if you wanted to one could use a router for the last bit making a nearly perfect bottom cut and if one did not want to use a chisel one could use a dove tail bit to finish off the edges, of the bottom
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

picture of the ideas,
              Attached Files
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
              X