X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kreg Jig

I am considering buying a Kreg Jig kit from HD. The model is the K4 for $99.00. Any one had experience with one of these? Looks like it would be very useful. The salesman at HD really gave me the sell. Any input would be appreciated!

Re: Kreg Jig

A friend of mine has one, he said its great. I seen some cabinet doors he made with it & they look like a pro did it.

Comment

I have a K3 Standard System and I enjoy using it. I am a noob in woodworking and this jig helped me building cabinets and racks a breeze. From everything I read, pocket-hole joinery is very strong, too.

I hope you are referring to "K3 Master System", $99 will be one GREAT price for it, however if you are referring to "K3 Standard System", then I suggest you to shop around, Standard system should run at $70-ish .. although I think Kreg is phasing out the Standard system and only market the higher-end Master Syataem. The jigs are identical except that Master System has additional bits and pieces for bench-top mount.

BTW, you might as well buy some extra pocket-hole screws, what came with the K3 ain't enough

Happy shopping.

Comment

Sorry, I mis-read. you're referring to K4. not K3. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Norsky View Post
          I am considering buying a Kreg Jig kit from HD. The model is the K4 for $99.00. Any one had experience with one of these? Looks like it would be very useful. The salesman at HD really gave me the sell. Any input would be appreciated!

Well, it looks like $99 is the going price w/o discounts. Be sure to at least use the USPS 10% off coupon if shopping at the BORG or Lowe's. Better yet, this is one item that Rockler's 20% off coupon might work on. I would shoot for the K3 Master system with a coupon if the budget allows...more goodies and more convenient. Not much more $. Have fun!

Comment

I have used my Kreg jig to build several furniture pieces such as a sofa table, night stand, end table, coffee table out of oak with just pocket hole joinery and i have used pocket hole joinery on several pieces of primitive furniture as well with great success.

I definitely recommend getting additional screws for both hard and soft woods. Also buy the best system you can afford as it will be much more expensive to add individual pieces as you go.

BobR

Comment

I highly recommend it. You can put a cabinet together really fast and pair it with glue, its rock solid.

Here's an example of a cherry vanity I did using pocket hole joinery.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ggirimon; 02-10-2009, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Got a K3 a little bit ago at Lowe's for 79, that's the way it rang up in the computer. I asked if they were sure, it was on the shelf for 139, but they said that's what's in the computer. Might shop around before settling.

Comment

I was lucky and got the Kreg Jig ProPack (K2000-PP) on Craigslist from someone for $65.00, and it is the best. I have used this on many different pieces of furniture, and would highly recommend it. The K2000 is now discontinued, but I still highly recommend what you were looking at. I don't believe you will be dissappointed

Comment

I picked up the k4 system at Menards today. I used the 15% off bag. Also 300 screws, and a face clamp for a total of $122.00 out the door including tax. Thanks for all your input! Looking forward to trying it out.

Comment

I picked one up at Menards. Used the green 15% off bag. Bought the K4 kit, Kreg face clamp, 300 screws, out the door for $122.00 including tax. Looking forward to trying it out. Thanks to all for your advice!

Comment

Bought the K4 yesterday, used Menards 15% off bag. Out the door for $122.00 including tax, K4 jig, Kreg face clamp, 4-100 boxes of screws. Thanks for all your input! Hope to try it out tomorrow!

Comment

For anyone whos not sure about the hole pocket screw thing, I'd try the $20 Kreg Mini Jig Kit. It may not be the best if your trying to make a living with the thing, but for hobby guys it's a great deal. It comes with the single jig, drill bit and stop coller. I made a clamping station for less than $10, it handles most things, for anything to larger I just use a clamp.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I would recommend the Kreg jig. I bought mine years ago at a woodworking show. Yeah the original. Still works great and sometimes I find I have to use it when biscuits will not work in a small joint.

Comment

I also highly recommend the Kreg jig. It pretty much has revolutionized the way I build stuff. I've done the biscuit joiner thing and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, but it doesn't compare to the ease of joint making you'll experience with pocket hole joinery. Of course, there are times when a pocket hole joint will either lack the desired strength or there will be no suitable way to hide the pocket holes. Use some other joinery method in these situations, but consider the pocket holes for the rest. i've built several cabinets and am currently building an entertainment center using the system.

Comment

Working...
                              X