Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resizing interior door

Hey everyone,

For temporary expansion of my workshop, I'm intending on installing two biparting pocket doors. The room is narrow, but I can get a max of about 4.5' of opening (ie, 9' of space for door + pockets).

The problem is; this means 27" doors. Is there any issue with taking a standard 28" widt door (probably hollow core) and shaving 1/2 off either side (I figure I'll just run it through my table saw...).

How wide (typically) are the structure frames of hollow core doors?

I realize this will leave less then perfect edges; I'm hoping if I use a high-number-of-teeth blade, and tape the cut lines that I'll reduce tear-out a fair bit; worst case scenario, I'll have to fill and paint.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Resizing interior door

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
    Hey everyone,

For temporary expansion of my workshop, I'm intending on installing two biparting pocket doors. The room is narrow, but I can get a max of about 4.5' of opening (ie, 9' of space for door + pockets).

The problem is; this means 27" doors. Is there any issue with taking a standard 28" widt door (probably hollow core) and shaving 1/2 off either side (I figure I'll just run it through my table saw...).

I realize this will leave less then perfect edges; I'm hoping if I use a high-number-of-teeth blade, and tape the cut lines that I'll reduce tear-out a fair bit; worst case scenario, I'll have to fill and paint.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Most doors I've cut have about a 1" filler on the top and either side and about 2" on the bottom. This could vary between manufacturers. Since you are installing the doors as pocket doors and you don't have to worry about locksets or hinges, I would say you could easily take off 1/2" from both sides. Tear-out from the saw blade won't be a problem if yous saw is sharp. Doors have a small bevel all around and it is easy to re-create it with just a wooden block and some sandpaper. This will get rid of any small tear-out you'll get.

Comment

You should be able to shave off a 1/2" without much trouble.
      When using the block plane or sanding block to restore the bevel
      to the edge be sure to plane or sand in a direction that does
      not catch the underside of the door skin. Otherwise it will
      splinter the skin near the edge and these could run inward
      an inch or more.

Check this recent thread for more info.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...01&postcount=4
      Last edited by Bob D.; 02-09-2009, 10:57 PM.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Hacksaw123 View Post
        Most doors I've cut have about a 1" filler on the top and either side and about 2" on the bottom. This could vary between manufacturers. Since you are installing the doors as pocket doors and you don't have to worry about locksets or hinges, I would say you could easily take off 1/2" from both sides. Tear-out from the saw blade won't be a problem if yous saw is sharp. Doors have a small bevel all around and it is easy to re-create it with just a wooden block and some sandpaper. This will get rid of any small tear-out you'll get.
        My landlord showed up with 7 doors that were too long. Six were closet doors the other was an outside door. I took a 1/2" off of the closet doors with no problems. The outside door needed 3/4" taken off. I ended up cutting the whole filler out of it. I just shaved the veneer of with my band saw and glued it back in place with Titebond and clamped it over night.

Before you cut set up a straight edge and score the veneer with your utility knife just above the saw kerf line. You will have no tear out. Score it good and deep enough. Masking tape helps but scoring works best.

Buck

Comment

Originally posted by carbonBased View Post
          Hey everyone,

Thanks,
          Jeff
          Why not take 1/4'' off each side of the doors. Then you wont need to worry how much core is in the door. You wiil need to remove the rubber bumper in the back of the pocket frame build it out the same amount you cut off each door 1/2'' so the door will be flush with the jamb side. Reinstall the bumper before the doors are installed.Other wise the doors will push back into the pocket. If it's not a big deal to you with the door going back to far don't worry about it.

Comment

Working...
          X