ts-3650 tablesaw problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts-3650 tablesaw problems

I have a TS-3650 cast iron tablesaw . It seems to be crosscutting and ripping wood ok but when i try to do a goove in wood the blade stops and seems the belt is slipping . I cannot find any adjustment to make the belt tighter .

Re: ts-3650 tablesaw problems

By groove, I'm going to assume you mean dado. If so, then I'd say that you are either feeding the material too fast into the blade or cutting too deep and possibly too wide of a dado on a single pass. Or, you could be doing both of those at the same time. Usually though the saw will stall out before the belt slips. If the saw continues to run but not turn the blade then you probably don't have the motor mounted correctly.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 02-10-2009, 09:55 AM.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

As you can see i am very new at woodworking . So if i understand this then when i'm doing a dado the saw can stall . Is this doing any damage to the motor ? I said that the belt was slipping but i assumed it was because the blade stopped . I checked the belt and it seems to be on ok and seems to be in good condition . I also installed a new blade and will try tonight to see if going slower will make the difference .
      Thanks!

Comment

Keep in mind that the stock blade the saw comes with is not a great blade. It'll do OK in most woods for small cuts, and can rip 2x4's (pine) ok. It's not a great blade for what's called non-through cuts like making grooves. If you're using the stock blade, adjust it downwards and take smaller cuts raising the blade slightly for each pass until you reach your depth.

If you are using a dado set (a bunch of special lades stacked together on the arbor), and having this problem, it's probably because you're trying to plow too much material out too quickly as Dave says.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

My guess is that you have the belt tension set wrong, or your motor is hitting something (like an outfeed table, etc) preventing it from rocking all the way back. When you lower the blade to do a dado, is the motor bottoming out in the curved slot? (When standing in back of the saw, the curved slot is between the motor housing and the belt). If it is, you need to pull the motor assembly further out. When the blade is all the way down, (completely below the table top) there should be tension on the belt (same as when the blade is all the way up).

Either problem (motor too far in or hitting something) will cause the belt to loosen when you lower the blade.

Hope this helps

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I have tried a new blade , i tried doing a rabbet by cutting a dado 1/8 by 1\8 ( hope i have the terms right ) but it is losing power no matter how low i set the blade . Nothing is in back of the tablesaw to affect the motor . I had checked the manual for any settings for the motor and could not find anything , I will check again . I will also check if the motor can be moved back .

Comment

Originally posted by gerry123 View Post
              I have tried a new blade , i tried doing a rabbet by cutting a dado 1/8 by 1\8 ( hope i have the terms right ) but it is losing power no matter how low i set the blade . Nothing is in back of the tablesaw to affect the motor . I had checked the manual for any settings for the motor and could not find anything , I will check again . I will also check if the motor can be moved back .
              The groove is probably very low, which means the belt will be looser than when the motor is high. You should try moving the motor back just a bit to tighten the belt. I had the same problem when I first put mine together, it seems there is a bit of trial and error/experience to get the belt tension right.

Comment

In my manual for my 3650, the instructions are on page 39, under the heading;"Installing Belt".

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Well i followed the instruction from CPW by moving the motor back and whithin a few minutes i adjusted the the belt . Now the cuts are working to perfection . Thanks everyone for your help ..This is a great site !!

Comment

Working...
                  X