R4121 Crown Stop Availability???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4121 Crown Stop Availability???

Hi my learned friends...Am picking up an R4121 in the morning for a new crown project but cannot find a crown stop kit for this saw. I used a DeWalt with the stops last week and they worked great. Anyone know where I could get a kit or drawings to make some for this saw? The height capability for crown on this unit is the big reason I need it and the price compared to the DeWalt comparable is the other. The stand becomes free if you package the two vs the DeWalt package. Any ideas guys?? I did note that the chassis is drilled and tapped on the sides so I assume they were for stops or bed extensions, don't you think?

Re: R4121 Crown Stop Availability???

Originally posted by JBWood View Post
    Hi my learned friends...Am picking up an R4121 in the morning for a new crown project but cannot find a crown stop kit for this saw. I used a DeWalt with the stops last week and they worked great. Anyone know where I could get a kit or drawings to make some for this saw? The height capability for crown on this unit is the big reason I need it and the price compared to the DeWalt comparable is the other. The stand becomes free if you package the two vs the DeWalt package. Any ideas guys?? I did note that the chassis is drilled and tapped on the sides so I assume they were for stops or bed extensions, don't you think?
    Why not learn to cut the crown molding laying flat on the saw table (compound angle method ) this will eliminate the need for the crown stops. This is the advantage of a compound saw.There are pre set degree marks for 90 deg compound angles. Most manurfactures even have charts that can be downloaded for settings other than 90 degrees.Once you get use to the compound method you will never need to put the crown upside down in the saw again. Your always looking at the crown molding the same way it will be installed against the wall and ceiling. When it's upside down in the saw is where the novice get confused. I'm not saying your a novice at all. It also keeps your fingers away from the blade with smaller pcs. I have found it much easier to cut this way especially larger crown moldings. I don't have to worry if the saw fence is tall enough. It will even allow you to cut acute crown angles that others say is impossible without making a jig.
    Just try it out you may never go back to the stand up method.

Comment

Why not flip the crown upside down and cut it on a miter saw. Doing it this way you only have to cut one angle, it is a straight cut, no compound cut. works great.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't tried the "compound method" of laying flat with this saw, but did with the DeWalt without very good joint results. The tall crown in angled cuts that are without extremely straight (and 90 walls, not likely =) seemed to be off more than on so went back to the old upside down/stop method. Still has some issues with the quality when the walls suck but the repeatability and quick change setups with the fixed stops on the saw more than make up for the time lost in trying the hit the compound angles without stops. Not a perfect world but time is money in my biz. Still haven't found nor made the stops but think they would be a nice adder.

Comment

You can use the Dewalt stops DW7084 . I use them on the same saw you listed and they fit and work perfect . You can buy them At Lowes off the shelf or order from lowes dot com as well as many other places . I order alot of things from a company called Toolup.com and they have always treated me great with super fast shipping and usually have everything instock.
          Here are a couple links for anyone interested :
          http://www.toolup.com/dewalt/dw7084.html
          http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...8755-70-DW7084

Comment

Working...
          X