X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3660 - 3650 question

I just bought the 3660. When properly adjusted, and the rip fence is set at 0 inches on the front rail, how much space should be left between the fence and blade? I have between 1/8 and 1/4 space between fence and blade when the rip fence is set at exactly 0.

Re: TS3660 - 3650 question

Logic would suggest that if the indicator reads zero, then the fence should be right up against the blade, since the width of cut will be the distance from the left face of the fence to the right side of the blade. I would loosen the bolts on the front fence rail and adjust its position until the scale reads zero when the fence is against the blade, then retighten the bolts.

Frankly, I am so obsessive that I still measure the distance manually (after getting close with the fence scale). I find that my scale tends to be about 1/32" off, and I'm too lazy to keep fussing with that particular adjustment, because my brain will keep telling me to measure anyway.

Comment

I would definitely check what has already been suggested and you might also want to look at the actual pointer/indicator thing on the rip fence that actually points at the measurement on the scale. Sometimes that thing gets way out of whack and you simply need to adjust that.

Comment

You can adjust the little clear plastic indicator and adjust it some, but you will probably have to move your front rail to the left about 3/16 to get it dead on (fence should just touch blade teeth). However, if you put a different blade on it (i.e. full kerf) you will have to readjust it. I measure critical cuts with a scale (machinist's ruler), and only use the indicator for comparative measurements (i.e. after a cut I need to move it 1/32", then I use the indicator, but for the first cut, I measure with a scale.)

I use a sacrificial fence, and frequently go from full kerf to thin kerf, and some of the thin kerf are different thickness, so I ignore the indicator for the most part.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

after getting my 3660 assembled i found that the indicator was almost a 1/4" offmoving the fence got it to about 1/32". I removed the plastic indicator and had to use a rat tail file to lengthen the slot a bit to adjust it to where needed. i also made an adjustable stop for the fence with a thumb screw to make minor adjustments.( i was a machinist for a few years and can't help but think that every thing needs to be within .001" tolerance!)

Comment

Working...
          X