Pocket Jig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket Jig

I am probably a little confused, but whats new?,,,lol....not long ago there was a thread on here I think for a pocket jig or dowel jig or something. I make among many things doll cradles which have railings on them made of dowels and this tool I read about on here looked like it might just be the trick for that project and many others...I could be wrong but I believe it may have been a Canadian product....I realize this is kind of vague but can someone help me out?...thanks....Murray
    Goldenwing

Murray

Here is the link to the manufacture of what is probably the most popular of the pocket hole jigs. I bought their K2000 Pro Pack last year and really like it for when I have a joint with an inconspicuous side. IMO the pocket holes are rather unsightly, but I must admit I have not tried any of their plugs designed to disguise them. They are quick, easy and produce accurate tight joints.

http://www.kregtool.com/

Woodslayer

[ 12-08-2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: woodslayer ]

Comment

I have used the plugs and they are ok. Most people don't notice them, but if you are like myself, they stick out like headlights on bright. Along those lines, I think we are all our harshest critics. Try them, you may like them.

Comment

I guess i was not very clear in my question. Perhaps a pocket jig is not what I am seeking. I would like to find some information on a jig that will help you center holes in boards so that dowels can be inserted to make wider boards out of narrow boards. And also....I make several different doll cradle styles and each one has dowels down the side like spindles on a baby crib. I need to find an easier way to make sure my dowels are centered in the side of the board, and that the holes are directly across from each other in each board, so that the dowels drop right into the holes and there is no left or right variance. thanks to you guys that responded earlier. I might get that jig but its not exactly what I had in mind. and thanks to anyone else that can help me....Murray
        Goldenwing

Comment

Goldenwing I think what you are looking for is a dowel jig like this one hope this help

Comment

Thats it. I remember seeing a picture of almost that same tool in the thread that was on here except I thought it was a little less expensive. Thanks much Tim_ber for helping me put a name to what I was looking for and even putting me right there on the page. It is much appreciated. Murray
            Goldenwing

Comment

Thats it. I remember seeing a picture of almost that same tool in the thread that was on here except I thought it was a little less expensive. Thanks much Tim_ber for helping me put a name to what I was looking for and even putting me right there on the page. It is much appreciated. Murray
              Goldenwing

Comment

How about this one?
                http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...er=dowel%20jig
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Glad I could be of help to you. take look at the one Lorax point you to, that one might be much closer to your buget. and should work out just fine for a hobbyist like myself.

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I am just a hobbyist too, although unfortunately a retired one, so even though we all want to have the best of everything, in my mind I have to justify buying it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying extra for good quality, but if I am going to use an item like this only half a dozen times, is it worth all that extra money. In turn I also dont want to buy something that is cheap and ineffective to the point I will toss it in a drawer and leave it there. Guess I will just look over several of them and try to figure out which one will be the most beneficial to me. If any of you folks out here are using any of these jigs I sure would like to hear from you on pros and cons. The new shop is so near finished now that the table saw and other power tools will be moved in tomorrow. And I am so ready to get back to cutting wood again. Thanks for everyone's help. I read this forum religiously and have picked up a lot from all your years of experience. And I wont even go into how Home Depot bend over backwards again to help me out tonight.....lol....Have a great weekend everyone. Murray
                    Goldenwing

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I am just a hobbyist too, although unfortunately a retired one, so even though we all want to have the best of everything, in my mind I have to justify buying it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying extra for good quality, but if I am going to use an item like this only half a dozen times, is it worth all that extra money. In turn I also dont want to buy something that is cheap and ineffective to the point I will toss it in a drawer and leave it there. Guess I will just look over several of them and try to figure out which one will be the most beneficial to me. If any of you folks out here are using any of these jigs I sure would like to hear from you on pros and cons. The new shop is so near finished now that the table saw and other power tools will be moved in tomorrow. And I am so ready to get back to cutting wood again. Thanks for everyone's help. I read this forum religiously and have picked up a lot from all your years of experience. And I wont even go into how Home Depot bend over backwards again to help me out tonight.....lol....Have a great weekend everyone. Murray
                      Goldenwing

Comment

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

Lorax
                        "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

sorry this is really late but you should do what the guys at the router workshop do and that is to make the jig. If you always drill into the same size rails then useing a router is the only way to go. makeing the jig is as easy as making a U shape with two scraps of plywood and a scrap that is the same size as the piece you are drilling into.
                          a router has depth control and cnetering capability - the best way to do this sans a hand drill.
                          Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

Working...
                          X