Ridgid=Home Depot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid=Home Depot?

I've been trying to get retail prices on Ridgid jointer from HD Canada. I called a few stores and eventually I was told the product (HD SKU #405795) has an "exit" status, i.e. gone, unavailable, finito.

So I went to Ridigd site, got the list of local distributors, other than HD. I called 3 of them. None has, or is allowed to carry woodworking tools from Ridgid. All three told me, with all kinda of disclaimers, that hey have HEARD Ridigd woodworking tool line along with the name and logo has been bought by HD, and that those tools are not even made by ridgid anymore.

Any comments from Ridgid? Anybody heard anything about it?
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Re: Ridgid=Home Depot?

I have heard that Ryobi, who has a close relationship to HD, builds at least some of the Ridgid workworking tools (e.g., TS3650/3660). I have no definitive info though...

Comment

Ridgid's parent company is Emerson and I would be surprised if Home Depot would be in a position to buy them. Currently Home Depot is closing some under preforming Home Depots, all of their EXPO stores and selling off all of their H-D supplies. Then again I never really did understand the wood working side of Ridgid.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

darius, what you were told is pure unadulterated nonsense. This "story" has been floating around for years and has absolutely no truth to it. HOME DEPOT DOES NOT OWN RIDGID!
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
          I've been trying to get retail prices on Ridgid jointer from HD Canada. I called a few stores and eventually I was told the product (HD SKU #405795) has an "exit" status, i.e. gone, unavailable, finito.

So I went to Ridigd site, got the list of local distributors, other than HD. I called 3 of them. None has, or is allowed to carry woodworking tools from Ridgid. All three told me, with all kinda of disclaimers, that hey have HEARD Ridigd woodworking tool line along with the name and logo has been bought by HD, and that those tools are not even made by ridgid anymore.

Any comments from Ridgid? Anybody heard anything about it?
          Darius,

The list price in the US is $429 (saw one two days ago in Wappinger Falls). I've heard some places are clearancing it at $329.

The Ridgid line of WW tools is built by TTI (with a license from Ridgid), which also builds Ryobi and Milwaukee. They are exclusively distributed by HD, but HD doesn't own TTI or Ridgid.

Charles

Comment

Good job, BadgerDave and CPW

Comment

Per usual, thanks to the forum for answering the call. Only one thing to clear up...

Any RIDGID distributor can special order or even stock the RIDGID power tools (portable and ww.) So, though the majority of tools go through Depot, it is not technically an exclusive except in the Hardware/Home Center channel.

Have a good weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                Darius,
                The Ridgid line of WW tools is built by TTI (with a license from Ridgid), which also builds Ryobi and Milwaukee.
                I had a chat with s store manager in our local HD. The fella said the same. He claims Ryobi is a staging ground, so to speak, for Ridgid and Milwaukee. New models are first implemented and tinkered with in Ryobis, then those features which work well go on to Ridgid and Milwauke.

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                They are exclusively distributed by HD, but HD doesn't own TTI or Ridgid.
                I think my post may have been misleading in parts, but I don't think I wrote HD bought Ridgid. I never heard a claim that Ridgid or ITT are owned by HD, but rather that HD has exclusive rights to the Ridgid brand in the area of woodworking tools. In fact, if you consider that you cannot get Ridgid elsewhere does show that money changed hands in this respect. Otherwise why woulkd Ridgid be unavailable at, let's say, Lowes or Sears? I can buy DeWalt nealry anywhere power tools are sold. Same with Delta and a few other brands.

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                Any RIDGID distributor can special order or even stock the RIDGID power tools (portable and ww.)
                One of Ridgid's distrubutor I spoke with today said he can't order a woodworking tool from Ridgid even for himself. He has a TS3650 which he bought in HD in Niagara Falls, ON.

Anyway, HD won't order Ridigd's jointer either. They don't know if its the end of line, switching to a new model (Canadian HDs are usually 6 months behind the US in this respect). No stores in GTA or Hamilton Burlington can order the jointer.

Could you suggest a single distributor, other than HD, for Ridgid in Southern Ontario where I could get me the jointer?
                In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Darius,

In my dealings with Home Depot for more than five years, I can only tell you that the "knowledge base" there is most questionable! Everyone from the store manager level, down... is almost clueless with regard to product origin or practice.

I've been told everything from the "fact ????" (NOT true) that Home Depot offers a full lifetime warranty on all its power tools ("just bring-em and we'll give you a new one") to (yeah, of course Home Depot owns Ridgid... that's why they're Orange!").

The simple truth of the matter is that Home Depot does NOT own any tool company. The "Ridgid" brand is owned by Emerson Electric, a U.S.-based company. Ridgid plumbing tools and vacuums are manufactured by the Emerson Electric-owned Ridge Tool company and Emerson Electric. "Ridgid" branded power tools (all those orange portable-power tools and the stationary woodworking tools [planers, saws, drill presses, etc.]) are manufactured by TTI (Techtronics International) under a license agreement with Emerson Electric.

TTI not only manufactures these tools, but also handles the marketing, warranty, and service agreements for these tools. TTI is a Hong Kong-based company with manufacturing in China, Taiwan, and the U.S.

TTI also owns One World Technologies and the TTI Group NA. TTI consists of Ryobi, Milwaukie, "Ridgid"-brand power tools, as well as Dirt Devil, Hoover, Homelite, Vax, Royal, and AEG.

Home Depot has an exclusive "agreement" for the N.A. retail marketing of the Ryobi and Ridgid tool brands. As such, it has a major input to TTI Group as to what it will and will not carry in thier stores. But, it does not own or even hold shares (not publicly known anyway) in TTI. Nor does it control TTI manufacturing. For instance, many TTI tools are made for Sears, under the "Craftsman" brand.... a direct competitor of Home Depot.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                  Last edited by CWSmith; 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM.

Comment

"As such, it has a major input to TTI Group as to what it will and will not carry in thier stores."

This is exactly why Ridgid is so bad in product marketing and support. The cordless line is the worst managed tool line I have ever seen. It took me over a year to buy a 24V kit on a chance cyber Monday sale so I could run my select tools properly. The battery prices are absurd compared to other brands. Their 18v LiI, if you can even find them at HD, are 2 times the cost of most others. They force you to buy in kits to have LSA one the batteries. Why? Can you use them on any other tool brands? Totally designed to make you keep buying kits with extra tools, spending extra money in the process, chargers that you do not need to get the LSA.
                    Excellent tools such as the 9.6v screwdriver are gone, no batteries available to buy. The 14.4v impact driver is the same, replaced with a 1 select that is terrible. The decision to be at the discretion of horrible HD management's plans and day to day changes based on who knows what to plan tool design is just as horrible for the consumer. Ridgid may as well be a division of HD since they decide based on what HD wants anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X