Zero Clearance insert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zero Clearance insert

Me again. Having just purchased my TS3660, and looking to do things right, I was curious about the zero clearance inserts. I plan on using a Frued stacked dado, as well as a woodworker II blade. I found the "Leecraft RG-1 Zero Clearance Table Saw Insert for Ridgid TS3650 Table Saw" on Amazon for $21.92 and free shipping. Are these recommended for both the normal blade and dado? (another words, should I get 2?). And are these good ones to purchase or do you all recommend something else. Finally, whats the proper way to install and initialize an insert.
    Thanks!
    -Steve

Re: Zero Clearance insert

You may need more than two. In order for these inserts to be truly zero clearance, you'll need one not only for the WWII but for each different width of dado that you intend to cut. Installation is very straight forward, just reverse the steps you'll take to uninstall the stock insert.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I bought the Leecraft RG-1 for my 3660 ... nice inserts. The inserts include instructions for initial setup. You need to clamp a board over the installed insert and raise the blade through it to cut the slot.

You will probably end up buying more than two.

John

Comment

Whether you buy or make your own, when initially cutting one to fit a full 10" blade, make sure the blade drops far enough to clear the insert when starting. The insert depth is 1/2" and the blade only drops about 1/4" below the table top.

I make my own out of full 1/2" stock, so I have to either rabbet a 1/4" deep groove down the blade path on the bottom side, or start it with a smaller diameter blade (I use one of the outside cutters off my dado for full kerf, and use a thin kerf from my circular saw for the thin kerfs.)

Bottom line, make sure the new insert is not binding the blade before turning the saw on.

Go

PS: I made about 16 blanks, and only have 5 left that aren't cut for either a specific dado width, thin/full kerf, or for a specific bevel.
        Last edited by Gofor; 02-16-2009, 05:35 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

You can use a 8 inch dado blade if your insert will not fit with a 10 inch blade installed. You can also use double sided tape and add the zero insert on your normal insert and then raise the blade. Make sure you hold down the two inserts together with a push stick or clamp it with a fence and feather board. Works for me...

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys and tips. I didn't think about the fact that my dados will be different widths as well as bevel cuts requiring additional inserts... Glad I asked.

-Steve

Comment

Working...
            X