X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damaged shims Freud stacked dado

Looking for some advice with the Stacked dado set on my TS3650. Two things seem to have resulted during use or while installing to the Dado shims and the saw arbor threads. First noticebly the shims are pinched, should they be set between the blades and chippers each or in one slot together? The last time I used it the opening had been bent or pinched. The second problem is the arbor threads were marred this may have ocurred during the full stack of 7/8" were they went on tight. Note I did not use the washer just the nut with light tourqe. Any thoughts?

Re: damaged shims Freud stacked dado

I always put all the shims between the last chipper and the right cutter blade. That way I only have one blade to remove if I have to adjust with more or less shims. As for the bent opening, it appears that the shim(s) dropped into the thread and then were pinched when you tightened the nut. I put the shims on, slide the last cutter blade on, and hold them tight together while it finger tighten the nut as far as I can with just fingers. I then spin the blade to see if the last blade wobbles. If it does, that means the shims are caught in an arbor thread, so I remove the blade and ensure the shims are flat against the chipper. If it spins true, I then finish tightening with the wrench.

It is easy to get one in the threads, so just go slow and double check before you use the wrench. You can probably straighten the bent shim hole buy putting between two flat blocks of hard wood, and tapping with a hammer. As for the arbor threads, just clean up any burrs with a small file. A nick or two in the edge of a thread will not hurt anything.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I know this really isn't an answer to your question but using shims with my dado set has been a lot easier ever since I bought a set of magnetic shims from Grizzly. They sure do make loading and unloading the blades from the arbor a lot less of a hassle. I tend to space them out amongst the blades.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        I know this really isn't an answer to your question but using shims with my dado set has been a lot easier ever since I bought a set of magnetic shims from Grizzly. They sure do make loading and unloading the blades from the arbor a lot less of a hassle. I tend to space them out amongst the blades.
        Dave, those are pretty slick. I think I will pick up a set. Thanks for the tip.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thank you, It did help though it is tricky as they still want to slip in the threads with a few of the chippers arbor openening just off alittle. I will check out the Grizzly site as magnetic shims sound like they may work. The threads cleaned up nicely with a brass brush. Thanks for help

Jason

Comment

Jason, did I read correctly, that you used the full stack of dado cutters on your saw, using just the nut (no washer) to secure them?
            John

Comment

While Jason did say he had a 7/8" dado stack on his arbor I wouldn't recommend doing this if it's even possible. The manual states that the saw is capable of safely cutting up to 13/16" wide dados. When making wider dado cuts, you can safely forgo the use of the outside washer.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Those shims look like an excellent idea. I have damaged my arbor threads from the shims catching on them when i tighten the dado set despite my best efforts to keep everything tight together when i'm tightening them. does anyone know what kind of die i can use to try and straighten the threads? I've tried 5/8 NPT and NC and neither seem to work. any thoughts?

Comment

They are Acme threads, I don't know what the pitch is. Give Ridgid support a call.
                  Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up on threads Ken. Much appreciated. I love the router table insert on your TS extension. Been thinking about adding one to mine. might have to PM you about it later if you don't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by 85shorty496 View Post
                      Thanks for the heads-up on threads Ken. Much appreciated. I love the router table insert on your TS extension. Been thinking about adding one to mine. might have to PM you about it later if you don't mind.
                      No problem. Give me a shout anytime.
                      You know a guy who post in several forums as 'Brian From Dawson Creek' by chance? ;-)
                      Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Thanks Ken. It's a small town but there are at least two carpenters named Brian that I know of and I'm sure some more woodworker/hobbyists ( we have long winters up here ).

Comment

Working...
                        X