Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Premium Line of Hand Planes from Stanley

Stanley has a new line of hand planes coming out which
    are aimed to complete with Veritas and Lie-Nielsen.

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...ey+Works+.aspx

They should be hitting the stores soon as they are due for release in Jan/Feb of this year (2009).

There is a #4 Smoother; a #62 Low-angle Jack; a #92 Shoulder/Chisel Plane; a #60-1/2 Low-angle Block; and a #9-1/2 Standard angle Block Plane. No word as to suggested price or country of manufacture. I have emailed Stanley asking these questions and I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them.

I hear they have a new line of premium chisels coming out too.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 02-18-2009, 12:31 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: New Premium Line of Hand Planes from Stanley

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...ey+Works+.aspx
    The planes, which should be available by November, will have the following manufacturer's suggested retail price: The No. 4 and the low-angle jack will list for $179. The block planes and the shoulder plane will list for $99. The planes will be available through woodworking specialty stores, not home centers. Company officials said the tools’ A2 irons will be made in England and the plane bodies will be made in Mexico.

Comment

The planes will be available through woodworking specialty stores, not home centers.
      Company officials said the tools’ A2 irons will be made in England and the plane bodies will be made in Mexico.

I'm glad they won't be selling them at BIG BOX dumps.

Comment

Well, they've got my interest piqued. If they can actually compete with Veritas in quality, and price, they'll sell. Hopefully my two local specialty wood working stores will have them.

Comment

What's a woodworking specialty store??
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

Originally posted by ironhat View Post
            What's a woodworking specialty store??
            It's a place where they sell a good hardware store's products at premium prices.

Comment

Thanks CPW, I must have skipped over that part.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              ---------
              ---------

Comment

Stanley has made a series of decision over the long term that has had a negative impact on the woodworker. They had lines of chisels, marking tools, measuring rules, saws, levels, complete sets of woodworking tools, and of course hand planes that sell today on the resale market for many times more than they retailed for when new.

Filling the void created by Stanley's short sighted decisions facilitated boutique tools makers, small tools houses, and major supply houses of tools beginning their own lines of products. Many of these tools are superior in materials, innovative in design, and enhanced on proven Stanley designs from the past, These improvements have combined to once again bring quality hand tools to consumers. This movement took place because Stanley (and others) began making cheep and poorly performing hand tools.

India, China, and Korea begin making sub-standard copies of once quality product. No longer could you purchase hand tools that functioned as intended. No amount of adjustment or alteration would allow the tool and the woodworker to work in harmony with each other.

A high quality, American (Canadian-English) made set of hand tools from Stanley is long over due. Perhaps the bean counters and greedy administrative big wigs will read a history of the company and allow a return to Stanley Tool and Rules.

Comment

I saw recent info from one of the catalog woodworking supply companies that the official release date of the products is May (this month)

Comment

I needed some wood chisels when I was at Lowes the other day and even a novice like myself could tell the Stanley ones they had there were crap. At about $10 to $15 each they were terribly priced. I ended up getting the even cheaper Task Force brand ones that were cheap, but at least they are honest about it and price accordingly.

It's good to hear that Stanley is trying to make more premium tools. Using a recognized and respected name to sell practically disposable tools only ruins the brand reputation.

Comment

Using a recognized and respected name to sell practically disposable tools only ruins the brand reputation.
                      Generally speaking (which I know is dangerous), that's pretty much what all of corporate America did for the past 30 years with a few exceptions.

They went cheap on everything, wringing maximum profit for minimal maintenance or investment (or re-investment). They (the CEOs and the rest of upper management) could of cared less about the future, it was all about: "How much can I make TODAY because I plan on leaving this Co. next week so who cares what happens to them down the road, I'll be somewhere else raping and pillaging".

Consequently they did not prepare for the future (which is now), and they need us poor slobs (Joe and Jane taxpayer) to bail them out.
                      ---------------
                      ---------------
                      ---------
                      ---------

Comment

Sorry, but for what they advertise for $99-$179 they can stick thier junk. Anything as small as a hand plane can easily be made flat, not to .003. # thousandths on a short bed is lousy! I have a couple Buck Bro. and Stanley planes that were cheap at the HD and the soles are flat.
                        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

If I am reading correctly, these new "premium" Stanley planes will have the body made in Mexico, and the irons made in England.

The older I get (67) the madder I get about this country's businesses sending their work out to foreign countries. Particularly now in light of our economy, and the unemployment rates.

I will be buying several planes in the near future. You can bet that it will be a new LN, or an old American made plane off Ebay, CL, flea market, or whatever.

It would be a good thing if a listing was available of just where tools (power and hand) were made, so we the consumer can decide if we want to send our money out of the county, or keep it here in the USA.
                          "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

I'm with you. There are dozens of good deals on very good usable older planes from Record, Millers Falls, Stanley Bailey (or Bedrock), Sargent, Fulton, or Union on Ebay or woodworking forum classifieds. These planes have excellent metallurgy, excellent machining, and are often already flattened at some point. Every plane pictured below is a functional user, and none cost more than $70....most were more like $20-$30. The nostalgia aspect is "over the top"!

Comment

Working...
                            X