X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridgid r4330 planer

I'm looking for any feedback on this planer as i've been looking at it @ HD for a while now and tomorrow it goes on sale for $299.00 Canadian funds($499.00 reg.) I was wondering if anyone has one and are there any issues with it? eg. chip removal, snipe, reliability. I can't seem to find any posts that answer my questions. Thanks!!!

Re: ridgid r4330 planer

Originally posted by 2yorkies View Post
    I'm looking for any feedback on this planer as i've been looking at it @ HD for a while now and tomorrow it goes on sale for $299.00 Canadian funds($499.00 reg.) I was wondering if anyone has one and are there any issues with it? eg. chip removal, snipe, reliability. I can't seem to find any posts that answer my questions. Thanks!!!
    Any idea if its going on sale in the states? If so, price?

Still have a DeWalt 734 from Lowes, but would consider the Rigdid if the price comes down nicely.

Comment

I've had mine since they first came out and can't think there is any better. Snipe is no issue if the tables are set correctly (even though a lot of people believe you can't get around snipe without a cutterhead lock).
      Dust collection with a 4" connection is great. So far I've run about 400 Bd.Ft. of red oak this year with no troubles. I'm even still using the original knives!
      Best of class IMHO.
      Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

Yeah thats why Im interested even though I already got the 734. If the Ridgid goes on sale for a nice price Id consider it, but if not then Ill just stick with the 734.

Although I noticed recently (even on these forums) people buying the 4330 have been much less than impressed. Not sure if the quality is down now, if people are just being more picky, or none of the above are true.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
          Yeah thats why Im interested even though I already got the 734. If the Ridgid goes on sale for a nice price Id consider it, but if not then Ill just stick with the 734.

Although I noticed recently (even on these forums) people buying the 4330 have been much less than impressed. Not sure if the quality is down now, if people are just being more picky, or none of the above are true.
          If I had no planer, I'd now have a planer. That price for a 3 blade planer is very good. I have the TP1300LS and rarely talk about it at all as it just does its' job so well. But, if you asked me I'd give it good marks. Most of the time, I feel that people are the same way - the only time they speak up is when they have a problem or something rubs them wrong, or you ask them specifically. Me, I'd buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
            If I had no planer, I'd now have a planer. That price for a 3 blade planer is very good. I have the TP1300LS and rarely talk about it at all as it just does its' job so well. But, if you asked me I'd give it good marks. Most of the time, I feel that people are the same way - the only time they speak up is when they have a problem or something rubs them wrong, or you ask them specifically. Me, I'd buy it.
            The 734 is brand new in box, I just got it over the weekend. Im weighing the 4330 vs the 734, if the 4330 goes on sale (Canada price of 299 is nuts, its 399 in store here.......if it went down to 300 or so Id be all over it).

Basically I need to find out if the 4330 is on sale here too.......although I doubt it. In that case Ill just stick with the 734.

Comment

Mine works as advertised. It's my first jointer, don't know how I got by without it.

Comment

I bought mine last spring during one of HD's power tool sales, and have been using it to plane hard maple. It's the first one I've ever used, much less owned, so I don't have anything to compare it with.

Proper adjustment of the infeed and outfeed tables is the key to avoiding snipe. When I first started using it, I was experiencing a significant amount, but since I adjusted the tables using a tip from another user, there's practically none.

The R4330 handles chip removal pretty well, but that will largely depend on what type of removal device you're planning on using. My shop vac wasn't up to the task, so I bought a 2hp DC, and it worked great. However, I've made a few modifications to my DC since then, at the expense of some air flow, so I'm not getting very good removal at the moment.

The knives that come with the planer are double-sided, so you know you have a back-up set before you even take it out of the box. Like rcp612, I'm still using the original knives, too. But I've run less than 100 bf and I'm already on the second side. (Hard maple is murder on planer and jointer knives!) The only real negative thing about the R4330, is the fact that HD doesn't stock the replacement knives. As far as I know, the only way to buy them is online, from the HD web site ($29.99 USD + shipping.)
                John

Comment

"The only real negative thing about the R4330, is the fact that HD doesn't stock the replacement knives. As far as I know, the only way to buy them is online, from the HD web site ($29.99 USD + shipping.) "

Schleeper,

You probably need to speak to your store's service desk or manager about this. As I recall, there was a post last year that HD HQ had sent a letter out to all stores with instructions on how to properly order these blades and that all stores needed to stock these as regular inventory.

Both the stores that I frequent have these in stock. One of the stores had simply put them on the same hanger as the double-blade packs used on the TP1300, but have since moved them to a separate hanger.

The price is the same for both packs ($29.97, IIRC). I was just in my local store yesterday talking with another customer about the R4330 (positively) and we noticed the blade packs hanging nearby.

Overall, I think the posts that I've read about this planer have been positive. I do recall one post talking about that lack of a cutter lock, but there was no follow-up and I've read nothing since.

So, while early on there was quite a bit of discussion about the lack of blades in the stores, I think that issue has been positively addressed and today it shouldn't be a problem. Don't hesitate to bring this issue to your store's attention and if it's negatively received, give the HD headquarters in Atlanta a call and address the issue with them. Also, check with another store. This really shouldn't be an issue at this point.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I bought mine last November. It gave me snipe but it's all now fixed after I adjusted the in and out feed tables. The finish is great, even when I ran 11" wide board, which were the widest I ran so far. By mistake, I ran a couple walnut boards with the grain in the wrong direction but I could hardly tell the difference in the finish. While it the board showed some very minor irregularities it I could not feel the trouble spots with my fingers.

Some people will say it's struggling when planing wider boards. Yes, you can hear the motor is revving up but this is normal. Since it does have to work harder with wider stock it will understandably draw more amps.

There were some initial issues with replacement blades but now I find them easy to get in all HD stores within my reach.
                    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                      "The only real negative thing about the R4330, is the fact that HD doesn't stock the replacement knives. As far as I know, the only way to buy them is online, from the HD web site ($29.99 USD + shipping.) "

Schleeper,

You probably need to speak to your store's service desk or manager about this. As I recall, there was a post last year that HD HQ had sent a letter out to all stores with instructions on how to properly order these blades and that all stores needed to stock these as regular inventory.

Both the stores that I frequent have these in stock. One of the stores had simply put them on the same hanger as the double-blade packs used on the TP1300, but have since moved them to a separate hanger.

The price is the same for both packs ($29.97, IIRC). I was just in my local store yesterday talking with another customer about the R4330 (positively) and we noticed the blade packs hanging nearby.

Overall, I think the posts that I've read about this planer have been positive. I do recall one post talking about that lack of a cutter lock, but there was no follow-up and I've read nothing since.

So, while early on there was quite a bit of discussion about the lack of blades in the stores, I think that issue has been positively addressed and today it shouldn't be a problem. Don't hesitate to bring this issue to your store's attention and if it's negatively received, give the HD headquarters in Atlanta a call and address the issue with them. Also, check with another store. This really shouldn't be an issue at this point.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                      Well, that's great news, CW. I've got 4 stores within 15-20 minutes of home, and as recently as 2 weeks ago none of them were stocking them. Same goes for the knives for the Ridgid jointer.
                      John

Comment

Working...
                      X