X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bar table

I would like to build a tall pub-style table for the basement but can't find any plans.

I have searched several sites, anyone have any leads?

Me too. Any one know of any bar plans I'd like to see them. There is a hardwoods store near my house that builds some beautiful bars but they want $1500-$2000 a piece for them.

Jake

Comment

I think y'all are talking about two different things.

By "Bar Table", b52, are you referring to one of those little circular jobs about as high as a bar. Like the one that every '70s movie bar scene has a sleazy blonde leaning against? Frankly, I wouldn't make one of those of wood. The commercial ones have heavy cast iron bases, and they are still easy to knock over.

Jake, your problem might be easier. What style and size are you interested in?

Dave

Comment

I'm looking for a bar about 4' long, maybe 48" high. I am actually planning to modify what is already there. There is a stud wall that’s about 38" high with a narrow counter that ends against the wall on one side and wide column on the other. I am going to make a "module" to set on top of the stud wall that will raise the top level of the bar and make it more like a conventional bar (upper and lower levels). I plan on eliminating the side column and make the bar wrap around the end.

I not sure if you get the idea, but anyway, I need some plans to get an idea what the proportions and basic dimensions of the bar should be.

Jake

Comment

I think I get it. You have a pony wall with a big column at one end, tees (or ells, no difference) into an existing wall at the other? Keep the wall, dump the column (you're sure it doesn't do anything, right? ).

How attached are you to the pony wall? My version of Murphy's law says it absolutely has to get in the way at some point.

A couple preliminary thoughts:

Forty-eight inches is about normal for a sit-down bar. Hits you right about the bottom of the breastbone when you stand. A stand-up bar, I like a little lower, if for no other reason than I'm kinda short. Leaning is my favorite position.

The basis for a bar is a lower than standard kitchen cabinet. I would aim for about 32" counter height for a 48" bar top. This gives about 15" for bottles. Width is according to space, but too narrow can be a stability problem. The ell will help stabilize, and being able to anchor the other end to a wall even more.

If you happen to run across any pictures or styles that you like, mention them.

Dave

Comment

I plan on getting rid of the column, but it may contain a support column for the main beam. I have yet to break in there and see. If it does I am still going to eliminate the column, which is a 4" deep x 12" wide drywall and studs column and box in the support with a much smaller column so the bar feels much more open.

Comment

Working...
            X