X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with pocket holes

I just finished making a bookcase. I used my pocket hole jig on the face frame. The trouble came when I tightened the screws down. The board I screwed into split on the back side. I did not over tighten the screws and used 3/4 inch screws on 3/4 inch wood. The jig is pretty straight forward to setup, any suggestions. Thank You.

Re: Trouble with pocket holes

I use the Kreg jig with their screws and have not had a problem. The screws are self tapping but I found if the pocket hole is too close to the edge the wood can split. For 3/4 hard wood you use the 1 1/4 fine tread screw. For 3/4 soft wood you use the 1 1/4 coarse tread. For 1/2" stock you use the 1" fine and coarse screws. I hope this helps.

Comment

Lets start with what kind of wood is splitting on you?
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I was using 3/4 in. poplar wood for my face frame. I used 1 1/4 in. screws.

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
          Lets start with what kind of wood is splitting on you?
          And the other half is what screws are you using?

Are they regular wood screws or pocket hole screws?
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Pocket hole screws. i used fine and course screws with same results.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Mcc View Post
              Pocket hole screws. i used fine and course screws with same results.
              I am no one to give advice on pocket holes because I have a terrible time using them too. The result is I haven't used them in a few years. My almost new Kreg set sits in a drawer in its case along with a few bags of assorted screws.

But I wonder, like fredg50, if the pocket holes are drilled too deeply?

Also you say you used poplar and I think it is technically listed as a hardwood. You may wish to investigate the specific gravity of wood you use and let that be a guide as to whether fine or coarse thread screws should be used. But it is puzzling that both fine and coarse threads have split the wood.

Tom
              Last edited by Tom W; 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, I guess i'll just have to practice with this jig.

Comment

Do you have a depth stop jig on the drill bit? If you're making the pocket hole too long it could cause that problem.
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I use the coarse tread screws with poplar. The fine tread screws always tend to strip out on me. The Kreg instructions also say to use the washer head screw with soft wood so the pocket hole does not crush. If you have the pocket hole drilled in soft wood and screwing it to hardwood then use a fine tread screw with a washer head.

Comment

I have found on some hardwoods that I need to drill pilot holes for the screws along with the pocket holes. you are putting face frames on a cabinet so you are screwing out toward the edge of the boards. Picture of the damage would be nice!
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

You could try drilling pilot holes for the screws. I have a 3/8" dia rod with a long drill bit in a centre hole that I sometines use if I want to be certain that pices of wood don't shift when installig the pocket screw. The pilot hole would also prevent splitting of the wood.

Comment

I used the drill bit that came with the kit, set it at 3/4in. like it said to do. Set jig at 3/4 in. also. Is the drill bit tip suppose to drill through the first piece of wood. When I ran the screws in, that's when the wood split.

Comment

I had the same problem with Cherry. I used the fine thread screws 1 1/4 and 3/4" material that I milled. I kept splitting the board I was screwing into and I did set it up using the depth gage. After making several pieces of fire wood I double chedcked every thing and could not find the problem. Finally using the depth gage I set the step of the bit between 1/2 & 3/4 so far it seems to be working fine and no more splits
                            Please check out my web page
                            www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Yes that's my problem. Did you still use the 1 1/4 in. screws? It stinks to do all that work cutting the wood, just to watch it split. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X