Ridgid jig saw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid jig saw?

Does anyone have experience with the new Ridgid jig saw? I saw one comment in one of the other forums, but I'm looking for more input. A recent article in one of the WW magazines gave it a good rating, but not the best. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used this tool.

Also, is the Ridgid lifetime warranty a consideration? Other forums have ripped Ridgid's lifetime warranty. I think the lifetime warranty is available on the new line of power tools if they are purchased before about Dec. 1. Any comments on the warranty would be welcome too.

Thanks,

Rich

I just purchased one to replace my old, 15 + years, jig saw. It is a well designed tool from the stand point of usability, balance, and apparent ruggedness. If there is such a word as ruggedness. Not sure what the negative comments were you read but I don’t see any major negative points to comment about. I have used it quite a bit while building a deck. My partner was finishing a library and used it on some hardwood. He liked the tool enough to purchase one himself. We start on a new job next week if it falls apart I get back to you. … just kidding … it is worth the money and should last long enough to get your return on investment.

Remember if it ain’t broke you’re not trying! (Red Green my hero!)

Comment

I've used mine extensively. I like it, it is the best one I've so far. I've used the bosch and the $20 skil. The ridgid is easily better.
      However, the manual has an error; it states that you can use the trigger for variable speed on the fastest setting. There is no trigger controlled vs.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

RCK,
        The Jigsaw looks to me like it might be good for a handyman, but as a professionial the only jigsaw I recommend is the Bosch, I have 2 and one of them is over 20 years old and other than a bent plate on it, it still works fine. but the warranty is a real strong buying point. thats what made me buy their cordless 18v Drill, just the cost of replacing batteries every year and a half or so is worth it, I have 3 batteries at a cost of $79 ea. Bosch also has the better "t" style blades which dont break as easy and can take alot more abuse.
        Phillip Allen
        Orlando, FL

Comment

I borrowed a friends bosch to cut some railings in 2x8 fir. After spending over 15 minutes on one, and still not finishing, I went to get a better jigsaw. It was between the ridgid, milwaukee and dewalt. Since the ridgid was the only one in stock that decision was easy, although I would have gone for the milw.
          The ridgid cut each rail in about 5 minutes. The bosch tracked better because of its' blade, but it did not have the ability to do the job in a reasonable amount of time
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Phillip, do you have the Bosch barrel handle saw or the overhead handle, and is there really a difference? The guts of the machine are the same and it doesn't make sense that the price would be up to $25 more for the barrel handle. Just curious.

Rich

Comment

Raphael, might sound like a dumb question, but if the Bosch was slower, did you bother to check the blade oscillation switch? This might be why it tracked better, but moved slower.

[ 11-25-2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: avvie ]
              ...where\'s my &*#@ pencil??!

Comment

RCK, I never understood the price difference, either. The barrel handle makes your hand sore with extended use. The top handle allows you to control the cut with your body weight forced over the top. Top handle rules, barrel handle sux. Period.
                ...where\'s my &*#@ pencil??!

Comment

avvie,
                  I tried everything from that to trying several different blades; it just didn't have the power to do the job. Maybe it was just a bad unit, I don't know. However, for small jobs that need precision, I think it would be a better choice.
                  Also, I've been using a $20 skil jigsaw, it is not bad. It cuts faster than the bosch and tracks okay.
                  Blade changes are irritating and it doesn't weigh anything. For 20 bucks it is good. It is worthwhile for occasional use.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                  X