X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new 3650 w/rust

i just unpacked a ts3650 table saw and it has several rust spots on the cast iron sections. is this normal or should i take it back?:

Re: new 3650 w/rust

The cast iron components of the saw are covered in an oily protective coating that prevents rust from forming if the saw is brand new in box. There are several discussions in this forum concerning rust removal and prevention. You're best bet is to try to exchange it for another 3650/3660 if they have any left in stock.

Comment

Thanx, i will. i'm a new member and my old (dead) saw did not have cast iron top, so this rust thing is new too. Needless to say i was disappointed.

Comment

You may find that there are no other 3660s to exchange for. Rust prevention and occasional removal is part of maintaining cast iron, so if you can't exchange it, it really shouldn't be a big deal.

A little WD-40 and a scotch brite pad works fairly well for removing light rust. I like to apply a light coat of Boeshield T9, buff it, let it dry, and follow with a couple of coats of Johnsons paste wax to prevent rust.

Comment

Hi,
          I agree with the WD-40 but I'd use the yellow pads used for cleaning glass stove tops. It'll take you longer to remove the rust but you'll wind up with a really slick surface. And, all I use on my TS3650 is WD-40. It's slick and isn't picked up by wood cut on the saw.
          Speaking of the saw, I've been told I can put a more powerful motor in it? Anyone know where would I get one? Cost? Installation instructions?
          Thanks,

Comment

Thanx for the help. H.D. replaced the extentions, assembled the saw, and it is running nice. Assembly was f-u-n! Casters and extensions were the most fun. Had me going for a while. Got some Johnson's wax and in the process of getting Boeshield shortly. Anyways, seems to be a great deal, on a great saw.

Comment

Working...
            X