X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new 3650 w/rust

i just unpacked a ts3650 with several rust spots on cast irons table parts. Is this normal or should i take it back to home depot?

Re: new 3650 w/rust

easy Poppy someone will respond soon you dont need any more new threads on this

Comment

No, it's not ok. Brand new, and corroded?

That said, if you've unpacked it all, and hauled it down 40 steps into the basement (and hauling it back up is MUCH harder!), it may be time to make a judgement. Is the rust very superficial? Can it be easily removed? Is it really worth the time and effort to return it? On the other hand, it might not be such a herculean effort to take it back.

I would, but then I can be a bit picky if I have just dropped $400. Bear in mind that the 3650 was replaced with the 3660 quite some time ago (>6 mo), so it's likely your saw is a year old before you unboxed it. Mine was literally bathed in oil. So much so there's "water marks" in the bed where the oil has penetrated more in some areas than others.

At the end of the day, it will get scarred and scratched, but starting off on a level field seems sensible to me. YMMV.
      Last edited by Roadster280; 02-23-2009, 10:01 PM. Reason: Speeling mistook

Comment

Hey Gary! Congrats on the new saw. To remove rust spots, use WD40 and a green kitchen scrubbie pad. As long as they're not too bad, it should be just a bit of elbow grease to remove the spots. Once they're gone, use a protectant like Boeshield T9 or something else. At the very least, wax the top with Johnson's Paste Wax. Even if you use a protective like Boeshield you still need the Johnson's to make the surface nice and slippy. Note that not any wax will do! You have to use something without any silicone. Johnson's is relatively easy to come by and fairly cheap, so it's usually the choice for tool surfaces.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Gary, unless it's heavily corroded or pitted I would just knock the rust off with an air jitterbug sander or (electric) orbital sander and get on with the woodworking. Take the blade insert out so you don't sand the pretty orange paint. Don't over sand. The top should feel smooth when you rub your hand over it with eyes closed. Then wipe it down with paint thinner to get the resulting black crud off, blow dry and you're good to go. Cast iron is prone to rust - unless it's a large amount of corrosion/pitting I doubt if it's worth getting too spun up over. In use, you will find that that your saw top will darken and get stained with use anyway.

Personally I would never put any sort of oil product on a cast iron table, as it will wick into the pores in the cast... and eventually might find its way onto my wood. I also never wax my table top, for the same reason. Silicone is a disaster... but I don't want any wax on my wood before I finish, either. A bit of of used-up sandpaper and a quick wipe-down with thinner is free, and takes about 3 minutes every 6 months or so.

Comment

Thanx for the reply. My 1st instinct was to take it back. The saw i'm replacing doesn't have cast iron top so this is new to me. I tried to rub and clean with a rag, now the is gone in that area but it's rusted through the shiney part of the top (extentions). One of the extentions is worse than the other. Like i say, new member, new saw, new rust experience.

Comment

Just wanted to than everbody for their help. Took extentions BACK to H.D. and they replaced them with parts from another box. So they did take care of me. Put them on during assembly (which was fun) and the saw is running great. It seems to be a well made saw! Way better than my old sears version of a ryobi 3000!!!!!!!!Now I hear I need get some Boeshield. Always something.

Comment

Gary, I'm glad you are a happy camper.

VASandy and Andy_M: Please bookmark this thread so you can link to it when the next guy in Jacksonville FL (which is an entire county, not just a city) buys that saw which provided the replacement wings and posts the question here.

Gary: you did not Really think that HD was going to return them to Ridgid, did you??

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Didn't really care what they did with the bad ones,long as they replaced them with good ones. But like I said, at least they took care of it. They may have to send the whole other saw back, don't know, ya know?

And Jacksonville is the city. Duval is the county.

Comment

Working...
                  X