X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP1300...should I buy?

I have an opportunity to buy a TP1300 for 200.00 (without stand). I don't know if it even works properly, but I figure with the lifetime warranty, even if it is broken, I can take it to Home Depot to get it fixed or replaced. Any flaws in my logic. Would you guys (and girls) buy a used TP 1300 at this price sight unseen? Are there any flaws in my logic?
    Brad Hatchett<br />brad@hatchettfamily.net

Ridgid's lifetime warranty covers manufacturing and material defects. If the machine was killed by, say, dropping off the back of a truck, I would not expect anyone to consider that a materials failure.

You never know what someone at the Borg might do, but I sure would not count on it.

Dave

Comment

As dave said, Teh warranty only covers defects. For $200, it sounds liek a good deal as long as the machine works good and all the blades aren't dull. Since a new machine comes with stand and two sets of blades, and I believe, a dust chute, you quickly approach new planer price if parts are needed. For $200, I wouldn't buy it sight unseen though.

Comment

Good thoughts. I think I will reconsider purchasing a new one instead.

Thanks!

Comment

Mikes right.
          When you start replacing missing stand, dust chute and replacing blades your at or above the cost of new.
          This is what I see at E-bay when trying to find a used unit. Best just to buy new.
          Rob Johnson
          Orange, Ca.
          Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

I've read several reviews in WW mags that proclaim Ridgid's TP1300 is well worth the money, and does what it claims.

Personal experience, it's a darn fine machine. I would buy it again without a thought.
            John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

All good thoughts. The missing stand is not an issue as I have the one that came with my RIDGID mitre saw. Since I have my mitre saw mounted elsewhere in my shop, I can use the universal legstand for the TP. Blades and dust chute may be a whole other issue all together.

THis one was posted on EBAY, but I am a little nervous about buying a tool like this sight unseen.

Comment

Just my opinion, but I won't buy any tool off ebay after what I seen my neighbor go through with a chain saw.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used tool from a yard sale, but never off ebay. Just like you wouldn't buy a used car without seeing it, a tool is much the same way.
                John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

My E-Bay rule is half the price of new including shipping. Most of the E-Bay planers I've seen want $45.00-$50.00 shipping.
                  $200.00 for the Planer, $40.00 to replace missing knives, $30.00 for a missing dust chute, and $50.00 shipping and your at $320.00 for a used Planer without a leg set($65.00). Add that in and your over the cost of a new unit. Plus.. you get to wait for it to come in UPS.
                  Also...would Ridgid honor a warrenty on a used machine??
                  Rob Johnson
                  Orange, Ca.
                  Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Well, I decided not to go for the ebay item. I had decided that if the price was right and the seller would agree to use an escrow service where I could test it out before I paid, then I would go for it. He was unwilling to compromise. Funny, I thought, since his auction has 3 hours remaining and not a single bid. I guess he was optimistic.

Anyway, I am building a new Armoire from Too Common Cypress. The price of the lumber was $200 compared with the $3,800 cost of the Armoire my wife wanted in the furniture store. I convinced her that $200 for the lumber and $397 for the planer was still WAY cheaper than buying a prefab peice of furniture made of hardwood and veneer with a crappy MDF back. She agreed! I picked up the TP1300 at HD last night! Now I just have to decide what to build after the Armoire.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Comment

I wish that was my problem....wondering what to build next. My list of "To Makes" is longer than I expect to live!

I just have to put a priority on the list, and that changes almost daily.

Oh the love of woodworking, sometimes the priority is the challange the project presents. New trial and errors sometimes outweigh the need of the item.

Got Wood? Have Saws!!!

As for that seller...well, he's not interested in selling the Ridgid machine. He's interested in collecting the cash and being rid of it. What's that tell ya? (Scam alert) Knowing once you see it, you'll most likely not want it, and he'll have to pay shipping both ways.

Ebay has become another Verb like Bluff....Poker. Just another gamble.

Comment

Working...
                      X