Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any idea's for making a Universal Stand?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea's for making a Universal Stand?

Hi All,

I've broached this topic to some degree in other posts on different Ridgid Forums but I'm now in an "Action" stage and no longer just looking.

To start, I own a number of bench top tools and I've done a bit of searching about and have not found any plans for what I'm hoping to build.

Initially, I wanted to build an outfeed table for my table saw (TS2400 @ 35" tall). At the same time, I also needed a tables for my Router, Band Saw, & future Drill Press & Miter saw

I fugure if I could design a good solid base (perhaps w/ added internal storage), I could then add a removable top spaced & built appropriately for each tool.

I do want the base to be moveable so casters are already part of the solution and I want the tops to be easily switched, so simplicity is probably going to be key.

Has anyone seen any decent table plans that I can canibalize for this project? Any idea's or gotcha's from those who've perhaps attempted this endeavor?

Oh, the reason I'm doing this is due to the limited space I have to store things in the first place so that's part of the underlying requirements as well.

TIA
    Bubba

Here is a new product that has been getting a lot of ad ink in the magazines. Looks like something that would be "whip-out"able.
    www.tooldock.com

Dave

Comment

I made a multi-purpose work bench that, while not mobile, does serve a number of different functions. It's hard to describe in words but it was inspired by this bench:
      http://www.am-wood.com/jan99/bench.html

On 1 end of the overhang is the router table. In the middle, I have a section of the bench top cut and hinged so my miter saw can sit in the table such that the saw table is flush with the top of the bench. It is also the same height as my table saw so it serves as an outfeed table. And, most importantly, it is plenty large for assembling projects.

I'm not going to say that it is the best of the best, but for an amateur like me, it's great! If I could change anything, I would add adjustable feet so I could control the height.

Comment

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I've seen those units in the mag's. Too expensive I'm sure, and they're not as universal as I'd like. I'll keep them in mind when I get a garage that I can readily store them in.

Green,

Thanks for the reply. You may also want to check out http://www.bluehighwaytour.com/2001/Tool_Stand_1.html

That's a cool one as well. Unfortunately, both are too big for my needs. I'm using idea's from them though.

Bubba

Comment

I wasn't clear, Bubba. My theory was to look at them, and then build something along the same lines. Some of my "best ideas" arrive in this form.

Dave

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Arbuckle:
            I wasn't clear, Bubba. My theory was to look at them, and then build something along the same lines. Some of my "best ideas" arrive in this form.

Dave
            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem Dave. Actually, I was thinking that as I wrote the response and just neglected to mention it. I do like the way the different tool platforms nestle into the table. Already thinking along those lines.

My problem is making it in such a way that it is the right height for each bench tool. I'll have to start out making it shorter (somewhere between 25-30") with each added top being different heights.

Still thinking this through... Thanks again.

Bubba

Comment

Bubba,

I took some ideas from Dave munkittrick's "Ultimate tool stand" and built a similar bench. I could not handle the 6" length since I share my workshop (garage) with the wife's car, a freezer, a lawn tractor and a couple of electric cars that belong to the grandkids. I built mine a little shorter and a little wider (60" X 30"). I use it as an outfeed table for the TS, an infeed/outfeed table for the planer, a router bench, a chop saw table, a sanding station, and an assembly table. I did not use the honey comb construction shown in Dave's article. I used 2"x6" with lap joints. I did install a dual outlet with a switch and another 4 plug outlet that is not switched. It was kind of a pain making all the tools align to the same height required for the table saw, but it does work great. I did install locking castors, but I never need to lock them, because it's so heavy it just does not accidently move.

Comment

Working...
              X