table saw dilemma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• table saw dilemma

I just bought the Ridgid TS3660 for 399.00. I am concerned that I would rather have the new 4511 for 599.00.

Can you offer an opinion on whether I should buck up another 200.00?
    I'm a hobby woodworker in a garage type shop.

Thanks and nice forum you have here!

Re: table saw dilemma

Lets see, what can the 4511 do that the 3660 can't? All I can come up with is that the 4511 will take up a smaller footprint than the 3660. On the other hand, the 4511 has a rip capacity of 30" while the 3660's is 36". I see no distinct advantage of a granite top over a cast iron one either.

If the equation boils down to what will you get for that extra $200, IMO, the answer is not much.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I was going to hold out for the 4511 but got to the point where my old saw was just no longer up to the tasks I was trying to do. I bought the 3660 and haven't had a second thought about it. It's a great saw. I'm sure the 4511 is also a great saw, but truthfully it won't do anything more than the 3660. The big differences are the granite and smaller footprint and to me, it's not enough to make we want to upgrade. Both are nice features, for sure, but I'm very pleased with the 3660.

It has to be a personal decision, but you have a great machine in the 3660.

Comment

Dave - Don't overlook the advantages of a riving knife, 150# more mass (50%!), cabinet mounted trunnions, improved DC, shorter drive belt, and a steel t-square fence. You're right about the stock rip capacity, but the fence on the R4511 can be shifted to the right for more if needed. Both rank very high on the value scale for what they offer IMO.

It's a personal decision, but having made the move from a 300# highend fully tricked out contractor saw (GI 50-185 with router table, PALS, link belt, mobile base) to a 425# Craftsman 22124 hybrid (due to a great deal), I'd say the hybrid offers many advantages in convenience and joy of use...the mass difference is huge, as are the DC improvements and not having an outboard motor to consider when tilting the blade.

The question I'd want to ponder is how much will you'll miss the features of the R4511 vs the $200 six months to a year down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
          Dave - Don't overlook the advantages of a riving knife, 150# more mass (50%!), cabinet mounted trunnions, improved DC, shorter drive belt, and a steel t-square fence. You're right about the stock rip capacity, but the fence on the R4511 can be shifted to the right for more if needed. Both rank very high on the value scale for what they offer IMO.

It's a personal decision, but having made the move from a 300# highend fully tricked out contractor saw (GI 50-185 with router table, PALS, link belt, mobile base) to a 425# Craftsman 22124 hybrid (due to a great deal), I'd say the hybrid offers many advantages in convenience and joy of use...the mass difference is huge, as are the DC improvements and not having an outboard motor to consider when tilting the blade.

The question I'd want to ponder is how much will you'll miss the features of the R4511 vs the $200 six months to a year down the road.
          I agree with Hewood. Thats why I ordered the 4511, as for the $200 after six months to a year down the road, I figure my wife would have spent it on something else by then.

Comment

Being the owner of a 4511 and also having the experience of operating a table saw almost on a daily basis since 1974 I can tell you that the riving knife alone is worth the extra $200. Also the dust collection is 500% better than a contractor type saw. Sure you can rig up some plywood box to enclose a contractor saw but why wouldn't you want the advantage of a fully enclosed cabinet. Also the weight of the granite on the saw only contributes to it's stability, precision, and no worries about corrosion. If you need larger rip capacity it can be accomplished fairly easy by moving the exsisting hardware over to the right, or do as I did and add a longer one piece square tube to the front and a longer angle iron to the back. I think the only reason not to buy the 4511 is if your table saw use will be very limited or you can't scrape up the money for the 4511. It's just to good of a deal for the money IMHO!

millman

Comment

I confess that I forgot about the riving knife and that is a big plus for the 4511. Primarily though I was talking about the performance features of the 4511 vs the 3660. Performance wise I just don't feel that there is really that much of a difference between the two saws. Cosmetically I'd definitely give the nod to the 4511 as "new and improved". As for dust collection, my $5 plywood enclosure makes my contractor saw virtually dust free and the fence debate will go on and on and on............

On the dust collection issue, I will say that I do get more dust on the saws top than I would like. Never having used or seen one in action, do the hybrid saws do a better job of eliminating this? If they do then that would be another plus for them.
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post

On the dust collection issue, I will say that I do get more dust on the saws top than I would like. Never having used or seen one in action, do the hybrid saws do a better job of eliminating this? If they do then that would be another plus for them.
                That depends a lot on the whole DC system and the blade used, but overall you get better pull with an enclosure. There's still going to be some sawdust on top of the table unless you use overhead DC.

I agree with you about the actual cutting performance...pretty much same, same....you won't be able to tell from looking at the wood! But I tend to view my TS as the marquis tool in my shop. Any comparable functioning DP, BS, jointer or dust collector will do the job for me, but I like to "love" my TS!

Comment

That depends a lot on the whole DC system and the blade used, but overall you get better pull with an enclosure. There's still going to be some sawdust on top of the table unless you use overhead DC.

I agree with you about the actual cutting performance...pretty much same, same....you won't be able to tell from looking at the wood! But I tend to view my TS as the marquis tool in my shop. Any comparable functioning DP, BS, jointer or dust collector will do the job for me, but I like to "love" my TS!
                  I've only had my 4511 for a day, not even fully assembled yet. 7 woodworkers I know, who know, way, way more about saws than I all said the same thing,"what a saw for the price", wow all cast iron under there, look at that trunion", " no stamped gears in there" etc. Not to mention it has a riving knife. They all gave me a good feeling about getting it. I read up and researched them and got a 4511 manual a month and a half before I could get my hands on one. Except for the Herc-U Lift I didn't notice that much diffrence between a cabinet saw and mine, only the cabinet itself and the fact that most cabinet saws start at 3 HP.

I'm well satisfied for the money so far.
                  I was going to buy a 3660 when they put the 4511 on HD's website. Not crazy about the motor hanging out back, but it works OK!

Buck

Comment

After using my 4511 for a few day's I was surprised that i see very little sawdust on the table top. Surprised because I do not have a DC system yet.
                    I never owned any other table saw except for my $99.00 Riobi. Now I know it's not exactly fair to compare the two saws with a price difference as such. I built a work bench with the Riobi. It would have been so much easier with the 4511. Angle cuts with the 4511 show no light when held up to a halogen light, and they are consistent. I'm not used to this. I ripped a 12"x2" oak plank, lo and behold the saw showed no tendency to tip over. I considered bolting the Riobi to the floor so I wouldn't lose it. The fence IMHO is a study in stability, no matter wher you put it it's square at all times. The granite table showed some minute scratch marks after I used it for a day, a quick buff with a flannel cloth and they were gone. I did give a coat of Johnson's wax. No matter what blade I've used so far I have had no problems with stock getting stuck or or any problems with the riving knife. The miter guage when properly adjusted works great. It was easy to adjust the blade to the miter slot. The bevel after a slight adjustment is right on, it's action is smooth as silk.. I did get a can of white Lithium spray grease and lubed the ways and the worms. Once this saw is adjusted it stays adjusted, so far.
                    All in all I am completly satified with the 4511.

Buck

Comment

I bought the 3660 3 months ago at a good discounted price at HD, but which was still considerably more than you paid. I think it is a great saw. If you want to play "what if", and think the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, that's your business. I suggest you use the saw and see how you like it. HD gives you a certain amount of time in which you can return the merchandise. Then you could buy the granite top, and, who knows? There might be something else that comes along that makes you feel dissatisfied with your purchase.
                      "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

Being a big home theater nut, one thing I've learned over the years is; if you are always looking for the next best thing out there, you'll never enjoy anything. You'll go broke, crazy, or both, trying to keep up with technology. Buy the best you can afford at the time, and keep it until it won't accomplish what you need it to do.

Comment

Originally posted by fastlane View Post
                          Being a big home theater nut, one thing I've learned over the years is; if you are always looking for the next best thing out there, you'll never enjoy anything. You'll go broke, crazy, or both, trying to keep up with technology. Buy the best you can afford at the time, and keep it until it won't accomplish what you need it to do.
                          Well said. I am big home theater fan as well and as soon as I learned this little lesson I stopped asking "what if". I went through way to many upgrades in a short time (but did get to try lots of differnt speakers and processors). Movies sound so much better when I dont wonder what it would sound like if I step up to the next level of speaker. Same for tools, wanted a hybrid tablesaw but I really enjoy my 3650 and have no desire to upgrade to the 4511. My next saw upgrade will be something with a min of 3 horsepower many years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by fastlane View Post
                            Excellent advice!!!
                            Cheers! - Jim
                            -------------
                            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Being a big home theater nut, one thing I've learned over the years is; if you are always looking for the next best thing out there, you'll never enjoy anything. You'll go broke, crazy, or both, trying to keep up with technology.

That's why I always say: "Upgrade now before it's too late!"
                              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Working...
                              X