X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Lathe?

I'm thinking about buying a full size Lathe. Just wondering on you alls views on a good one. Don't want a disposable one (HF). I didn't know this, but I got talking to someone who works at a morturary and he told me I could make my oun urn (spelling?) to be put in after cremation. I thought it would be cool to be put to rest in somthing I made. Plus it would spare the wife an extra expense. So how about a few lathe sugestions please?

Re: Wood Lathe?

One of my pals has a Oneway, manufactured by Packard Woodworks, that he bought in 1998. It has seen very heavy, almost daily, use. If I was to consider a new machine I would most certainly consider a Oneway. They are in the $5,500.00 plus range.

How big are cremation urns? You can turn a pretty big vessle on a mini-lathe with a 10" swing over the bed, theoretically, but not practically, almost 20 inches in diameter and, with a bed extension, up to the 30" plus long. Plus you would save about $4,500 dollars.

The down side is that most of the mini-lathes only have a 1/3 - 1/2 hp motor. Swinging a big hunk of wood is a lot of work for that small a machine. Another negative is attachments for hollowing are limited with a small machine. You could however make a number of smaller urns, have some of your ashes put into each and the funeral director could give them out something like party favors at your memorial service.

If you don't have a lathe I suggest buying a mini-lathe, learning how to use it and then stepping up to a full sized used one. There is a learning curve, not only to turning but sharpening your lathe tools. But it is pretty steep.

Here is a caution. When you buy a lathe say good bye to all your friends and family because there is the potential to being infected by, and being drawn into, the swirling, sucking cesspool of turning addiction. You will be making pens (I made over 200 last year), weed pots , small bowls or just going into the back yard picking up a stick and turning it into chips. You will be on-line and buying books to learn about proportions, and so much more.

But it is great fun, and adds a new dimension to woodworking.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom W; 02-28-2009, 10:01 AM.

Comment

the heaver you can afford more than likely the better you will like it,

If you can find a old industrial lathe would be the Idea,

in H school we had a nice Delta, guessing about 1940 to 1950 unit and it was nice, and then they bought a powermatic that was beautiful late 1960's had a full enclosed base and a bed that was about like 8" channel but was cast iron, and a huge head stock, and tail stock, it was jsut pure joy to turn on,
      the Delta was nice, but it only weighed about 1/4 of the powermatic unit, (and since it was built when it was it was a totally quality lathe) but there was little comparison,

another option is a antique metal lathe and build a tool rest for it,

but I would think if one could come across a old pattern lathe it would be wonderful,

the other thing I am considering (been a plan for many years, is to build my own lathe with a set of Channel iron).

the basic Idea I have is to use two 8 to 10" channel irons facing each other, welded together with spacers, (one could bolt throught tubing spacers and weld a strap on the ends.

then my thought is to used a section of bushing stock, for the head stock and used a mortise taper reamer to make the correct taper and then have it threaded, (metal lathe), and very similar for the tailstock but thread the entire section of it, and put a taper in it as well, and then a hand wheel on the tail end, and use two large nuts to mount the tail stock unit in and a locking nut (probably a nylon plug to protect the threads), and make a swing of about 24" and 5 to 6 foot between centers, and on the head stock side thread it so one can use the out board side as well, mount it up and make the tail stock so it will lock with a bolt and a plate sliding under the channel lips,

currently I have a small home made "gill built lathe kit" with a reinforced bed, (not much of a lathe, similar to a sears or so for quality,

and I have two metal lathes that I can use if needed, so my dream wood lathe has not materialized, I have collected some parts tho, my other question is where would I put it.

some thing on this line,
      http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/lathe.htm

some other ideas,

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...the+Plans.aspx

actually my idea is very similar to this one but beefed up and larger,
      http://www.vintageprojects.com/machi...ood-lathe.html
      the actual plans, http://www.vintageprojects.com/machi...wood-lathe.pdf

some good ideas here as well,
      http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/a-lth_kr.htm
      Last edited by BHD; 02-28-2009, 11:46 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD,

That is a good idea about threading the headstock on both ends so it can be used outboard. I have seen pictures of lathes with headstocks that can be swivled 90 degrees but your idea of threading the taper on the end makes more sense to me from a balancing perspective.

Tom

Comment

Woodcraft has the Nova DVR-XP on sale right now for $1699 ($500 off) I think it is.

No belts, direct drive. 100-3600 RPM
          16" swing over bed
          Motor can run forward and reverse.

Made in New Zealand, or at least they were when I bought mine.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5485
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post

No belts, direct drive. 100-3600 RPM
            I don't know how electric motors work relative to gas powered engines. Is there a torque peak on electric motors like ones developed on gas engines? I guess the question I have is, "At 100 RPMs does the electric motor on your lathe have the same power, torque, as at 3,600 RPMs?"

I am pretty a pretty agressive turner and often I jam my lathe tools into the wood far enough to slow the lathe motor significantly. On my 1/2 HP Steel City mini-lathe I can reduce the revolutions of the wood more easily when it is revolving slowly than when it is spinning wood at higher speeds. I have never been sure if that is due to kenetic energy developed by the wood at higher speeds or if I am working the motor outside a torque peak.

Does it harm an electric motor to 'work' them? When I cause my lathe motor to slow down, because of pressure I apply to the wood from my tools, am I doing harm to the motor?

Thanks,
            Tom

Comment

The NOVA has microprocessor control so it monitors the speed of the shaft relative to the speed setting and applies power to maintain the set speed as needed.

Watch this video
              Safety Sense-Chisel Dig In

DVR XP Features & Benefits

Features standard on all NOVA Lathes:
              Quality materials – Solid Cast Iron throughout.
              Stationary lathe capabilities in a compact workspace. Incredible power in a compact working space, great for those who need all the workshop space they can get! The swivel head and articulated Outrigger Accessory means that turning even large bowls (29”) you are still turning in the same compact working envelope.
              Strong 2MT spindles
              NOVA smart accessories – lathe accessories are common between the models, meaning any money invested in the accessories isn’t wasted if you upgrade your NOVA lathe.
              Fully 360° Swivel head – position work where you want it, makes your turning more comfortable and saves you workshop space.
              Precision Machining.
              Long reach toolslides, designed to take advantage for the extra capacity the NOVA lathes offer.
              Extendable Beds – make your lathe as long as your project requires, without having permanently taking up workshop room! (Additional Accessory item)
              Quick Action Cam Controls – precisely adjust to your requirements, fast.
              Large Capacities
              Great Speed Range
              Large range of accessories
              Comprehensive Warranties

Additional DVR XP Features & Benefits
              Intelligent Control
              Easy to operate, the NOVA DVR XP is the only SMART lathe on the market, using Adaptive Control™ Software. The intelligent computerised control assists you with your turning, for instance, measuring the weight of the workpiece and adjusting the performance accordingly, the ability to sense faults in the set up and advise, sense safety issues such as chisel dig ins and spindle lock, and instantly shuts down power to the spindle.
              High Torque Power
              Instant power when you need it. With it’s 1.75/2HP high torque motor, exceptional structural strength and smart design, it’s not only easy to convert to outrigger work for larger bowls and to extend spindle capacity with add on beds, but the lathe has the power and capacity to handle it with ease.
              Faster, more efficient turning
              NOVA DVR XP delivers incredible turning smoothness. With no belts or pulleys to cause vibration, a computer that automatically adjusts performance and solid cast iron construction, the DVR XP is one smooth operator. This delivers the ability to turn faster and more efficiently and cuts down on sanding time. The 5 FAVOURITE SPEEDS function also enables you to preselect your most used speeds, finishing your project faster.
              Plug n’ Play
              Easy to use, push button electronic variable speed with forward and reverse.
              Safety Sensing
              Computer control instantly cuts power to the spindle if it senses a chisel dig in, or if the spindle lock is on when wanting to turn the spindle.
              Power Saving
              Smart computer controlled motor only draws as much power as it needs for the project being worked on. The DVR motor can save up to 80% energy and emissions over conventional motors. Click HERE for more information.

Product Technical Specifications
              Bowl turning capacity: 400mm/16" onboard. 740mm/29" outboard. (Using optional outrigger accessory)
              Between centers: Standard 600mm/24". Extendable to as long as you want in 510mm/20" increments, using opinional bed extension accessory.
              HP: 1.75 HP (110V) / 2 HP (220 V)
              Speed range: 100 - 3500 continual variable speed
              Spindle Thread: 1 1/4" 8TPI RH (USA, Canada, Australasia & UK), M33 x 3.5 RH (Europe excluding UK)
              Tailstock: 2MT hollow
              Swivel head: 360 degree swivel and lock at any position, plus detent locating positions at 0, 22, 4 and 90 degree. High accuracy and easy swivel.
              Net Weight (Std): 82kgs/181lbs
              Indexing: 24 Division

What is DVR?
              Last edited by Bob D.; 03-01-2009, 01:37 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X