X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Jointer Newbie Question

I am new to woodwork and I am curious if I get a Ridgid jointer will it work on boards that are 8' long? Since the bed is 45" long I am unsure if I can keep the board on the bed plane to really get straight or would I be better suited to take the bow out of boards on a table saw with a jig like I have been doing?

Thank you for the help, Paul

Re: Ridgid Jointer Newbie Question

Yes, you can joint boards that are 8' long on the Ridgid jointer. If you feel uncomfortable trying to joint a board that long you could always use an additional helper like the Ridgid Flip Top Stand or a roller stand on the outfeed side of the jointer.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

potratz,

Welcome to the forum.

I live in Albany. If you want to try mine you are welcome to it. I don't think I have any 8' stuff around here. Just grab a 2x4, or I will, and give it a try.

PM me if you would like.

Tom

Comment

That's a great offer.

Yup, I've been eyeballing a Ridgid jointer.

I have the 13" planer.

Comment

Sure it will work fine on boards that long. With a little practive you can even go longer. You will need some outfeed support like a roller to make it easy to handle.

Comment

I would also suggest some infeed support as well as outfeed support. I have this joiner and love it but i think you would have a lot of trouble trying to start an 8 foot board without infeed support.

I will be making a garage workbench in the spring and plan on joining and planing all surfaces of the 2X4 lumber I'll be using...

I have the 4330 planer as well and love it.....

Comment

Thank you for all the help! Tom great to connect with someone local so I will contact you soon.

NOW if HD would just put the jointer on sale...$429

Should have snatched one when they were in the mid 3's

I think $429 is still a good price compared to Jet and Grizzly but just knowing it was not that long ago they were in the 3's makes it hard to accept.

Thanks, Paul

Comment

Originally posted by potratz View Post
                Thank you for all the help! Tom great to connect with someone local so I will contact you soon.

NOW if HD would just put the jointer on sale...$429

Should have snatched one when they were in the mid 3's

I think $429 is still a good price compared to Jet and Grizzly but just knowing it was not that long ago they were in the 3's makes it hard to accept.

Thanks, Paul
                With the way the economy is today i have found them fairly willing to deal....I got mine for 15% off the 429 price just for asking.....

Comment

Working...
                X