Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaker Style Doors - Router or Table Saw?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaker Style Doors - Router or Table Saw?

I've got myself on the hook to build a large number cabinet doors in Shaker Style. (22 deg chamfer). Due to the number of linear feet of hard maple to be shaped I experimented and made the chamfer cuts for a couple of doors on my TS3660 table saw as well as the 1/4" dado groove for the panel insert. It worked fine with the exception of surface finish. It just doesn't quite match up to a routed surface.
    Before you ask me: Why not just route it all? Time is one big consideration since the 2 cuts made on the saw take only about 1/2 the time as the routing. The other is cost: I can get many more lineal feet of cutting from an 80 tooth blade than I can from a router bit of equal cost. Since this is charity work, time and money both matter.
    Since I'll need to get a new blade(s) for this project I would appreciate any suggestions/comments on blades or technique that might help provide the smoothest finish cuts in hard maple.
    Last edited by Metrofin; 03-02-2009, 05:57 PM. Reason: typos

Re: Shaker Style Doors - Router or Table Saw?

How do you plan to join the rails and stiles, and what are you using for panels? I would probably use a Shaker rail and stile bit set and glue in plywood the panels.

Tom

Comment

How about this?

The three piece set might be just what you're looking for.
      http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...set_shaker.htm

Or here you can pickup the panel raising bit by itself for $54 (#8699):
      http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...isunct_anchcor

This latter approach means you can cut the slots, and form the rails and stiles on the tablesaw, with or without a bevel, but using the raised panel bit you get a nice 22-degree panel.

Comment

Sorry, I misunderstood completely. I didn't realize you wanted a 22 degree chamfer on the panel. I thought you wanted a 22 degree chamfer on the inside of the rails and stiles. Any Shaker style doors I have made are flat panel, not fielded or raised, thus the comment about gluing in the plywood, they look like the back of any raised panel door, with squared inside rails and stiles.

The concept of Shaker style, as I understand it, is simplicity. Generally they eschewed ornateness. I don't think a raised panel is in keeping with Shaker style. I just did a quick Google search for Shaker style cabinet doors (images) and didn't see any raised panel doors, at least on the first page. That doesn't mean they aren't there, just that I didn't see them.

Tom

Comment

Hi Metrofin, welcome to the forums!

If you're looking to make some good cuts, the Freud or Forest blades would be your best bet. They make clean cuts that are just as good as a router IMO.

Freud LU84011 10" 50-tooth combo blade:
          http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU84R011...6254816&sr=8-5

Forest Woodworker II 10" 40-tooth (.125 kerf):
          http://www.amazon.com/Forrest-WW1040...6254936&sr=1-1

Either is a good blade. You can sometimes catch sales on them. Typically, Amazon does have the best prices but I didn't do a price search.

That being said, as Tom mentioned, a raised panel is not quite the shaker way. Simplicity is what makes Shaker furniture so popular (for both aesthetics and the woodworker). If you add fancy elements to a shaker style, you no longer have a shaker style. You may still have a beautiful piece of furniture though.
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

i have checked a couple different websites online and i found a couple of good deals though but for some reason dont seem to be getting the correct information lol i stumbled onto this forum and i appreciate everyone help

im going to do a bit of research to see what will work best for my project cheers for the advice

Comment

Many times, Shaker style doors did have a raised panel, but they installed the raised part towards the inside so it didn't show. The back side (flat side) faced out.

Cutting the 22 degree angle on the panels will require a lot of sanding if you do it on a table saw. If possible, find a good router bit that can handle the job.
              Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

^^ i agree

Comment

Working...
                X