X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work in Progress

What are you building now? I am building a TV stand for my parents. Last weekend I broke down the plywood, and built the carcass. The sides, top and shelves are prefinished maple plywood. The bottom is birch, and the back is luan.
    Attachment

I also started to do the drawers, but realized the lock miter bit I have will be pretty much useless without a router table. So I made a box joint jig, which produces joints like this:
    Attachment

I like this jig, because it was basically free, and only took 5 minutes to build. If I were doing more drawers, I would move it over, so there is more supporting on the other side of the blade.
    Attachment Attachment
    I am a little dense, so it took me a few trys to figure out how to make the matching joint. You use the first side you cut to index the second part of the joint.
    Attached Files

Re: Work in Progress

This weekend, I made the drawer boxes and mounted them. I also installed some mouldings to cover the ply edges.

Attachment
    Attachment
    Attachment

I used Shop Fox full extension slides, and they seem to work well and are pretty economical ($10/pair). The drawers are a bit stiff in the last 4 inches or so of closing/first four of opening (i.e. I don't have the best tolerances), but they do work which I was a bit worried about.

And made the frames and panels for the fronts (but have not glued them).

Attachment

I am waiting for some space balls from Rockler before gluing.

The only power tools used were the TS3650, circular saw (for busting up sheet goods to a manageable size for "precision" cuts on the TS), and a drill.

So, what are you guys working on now?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cpw; 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
      What are you building now? I am building a TV stand for my parents. Last weekend I broke down the plywood, and built the carcass. The sides, top and shelves are prefinished maple plywood. The bottom is birch, and the back is luan.
      Attachment

I also started to do the drawers, but realized the lock miter bit I have will be pretty much useless without a router table. So I made a box joint jig, which produces joints like this:
      Attachment

I like this jig, because it was basically free, and only took 5 minutes to build. If I were doing more drawers, I would move it over, so there is more supporting on the other side of the blade.
      Attachment Attachment
      I am a little dense, so it took me a few trys to figure out how to make the matching joint. You use the first side you cut to index the second part of the joint.
      Quick question for you....

I am building something similar but about 48 inches long. What will you use for "feet" on your cabinet. I assume that it would not be best to just let the entire cabinet bottom rest on the floor. Do you have some type of little buns or something as feet?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tom5151 View Post
        Quick question for you....

I am building something similar but about 48 inches long. What will you use for "feet" on your cabinet. I assume that it would not be best to just let the entire cabinet bottom rest on the floor. Do you have some type of little buns or something as feet?
        Plate casters.

If I were doing it of wood, I think I would do a tapered maple foot, because I don't have a lathe, and those seem like something I could get right on my TS without too much material.

Comment

Here are a couple of photos of my workbench in progress. I finally got the top glued and flattened earlier this evening. I hope to get the end caps and the front skirt installed over the weekend. I used 8/4 steamed beach for the material, weighs a ton. Due to space limitations in my garage it will be attached to the side of my tablesaw; it will support the 52" rip capacity on my bies.

First time attaching photos; I hope they turn out OK, thanks for looking

Attachment

Attachment
          Attached Files

Comment

That is a nice and beefy bench. I noticed you were flattening it with a straightedge and hand plane, do you do a lot of hand tool work? Are you planning on incorporating a vice?

Comment

I use several hand tools, I would say I on average I use about 60% hand tools and 40% power tools. I tend to use my power tools as a means of getting my cuts close, I then tend to use my hand tools for all the fine work. I find my hand tools are much more accurate than my power tools. In the case of my bench top I didn't have much of a choice my 22-44 drum sander choked when I tried to feed the table top through it. The table top was just too heavy for the conveyor motor.

I will install a tail vise and an front vise on this table, I will then build two 20" tool boxes which will be located between the stretchers. I expect to store my hand tools in these boxes for easy access. I hope to finished the whole thing within a couple of months.

thanks for asking, btw good looking entertainment center you started above.

tgomez

Comment

Sorry, no pics, but I'm nearly finished with a simple 3 shelf, 2 door bathroom cabinet. I'm currently off on disability and my daugher's husband just got layed off so we pinched pennies and found some straight, 3/4" A/C plywood to build this project. I used a plywood blade on the table saw and cut a few kerfs in the sides and doors to simulate individual boards. Prime and paint with left-over paint and it's all good. The grandkids think that I work miracles. Of course, they are pre-teen which account for a wide latitude of approval.
                Later,
                Chiz

Comment

First time in the wood area. I like both projects from what I see. Could a plumber learn woodworking?

Get some RedWings cpw.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    First time in the wood area. I like both projects from what I see. Could a plumber learn woodworking?
                    Thanks. I'm sure you could.

Get some RedWings cpw.
                    They are in this month's budget plan, if I don't have some by 3/31 you can call lobster on me. Oil and tires blew February's budget.

I didn't see if there were sandals in those pictures, but rest assured that I don't actually wear sandals while doing work in the shop; these pictures were taken after work was done for the day.

Comment

That's going to be a great TV/media center, Charles! Well done. Let me know how you like the space balls when you get them installed. I've been curious about them, and have heard both good and bad reports on them. Personally, I think the theory of them is great. It seems like such a simple concept, and we all know that simple is better!

I love that workbench, billie bob! Did you actually flatten it with that plane??? I need to get me a good jointer plane one of these days. Not only do they do a great job of getting large things flat, the workout is a real plus! BTW, I like how you did the mortises. The contrasting "pins" in the mortise really add to the design.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Sandy,
                        The plane in the photo is my scraper plane; I actually used my #5 jack plane to flatten the table top. I then used my smoother and finally finished it off with the scraper plane. I used my straight edge through out the bulk of the process to ensure I stayed flat. One thing I failed to mention prior to gluing the strips I ran them through my jointer and thickness planer, which got me off to a good start. The entire hand planning process took about 45 minutes; of course this does not include the time it took to sharpen the irons on the three planes. The pins in the tenons are slightly over sized wedges to keep the tenon from backing out. Driving the wedges can be a nerve wracking process, because it can easily cause the lumber to fail.

I appreciate your input, and thnx for looking

tgomez

Comment

Working...
                        X