X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bandsaw

I am in need of a new bandsaw. Can anyone tell me about the ridgid 14" bandsaw. If you were going to buy a bandsaw which one would you choose. Bandsaw43

Re: bandsaw

For sure I wouldn't choose the RIDGID. Don't take my word for it though. Use the Search feature at the top of the page and you'll find many threads about this bandsaw.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have the Ridgid Bandsaw and use it very often. It's not vibration-free, although I've done little to modify it. There are some ways to improve the saw for a little extra money. Add-ons like a link belt (I did add the link belt and it's a great improvement), urethane tires, and balancing the wheels will make the BS work much better. I have been able to resaw maple and cherry with my Ridgid bandsaw.

Right now, I think Rikon makes a very good bandsaw that has a lot of features and good resaw capacity. If I had the money right now, I'd replace my Ridgid with the Rikon 10-325. In the meantime, I make do with the Ridgid and it's doing ok. For the money, the Ridgid is a pretty decent value, but there's better bandsaws out there for a bit more $$$.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Delta or Grizzly

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

If I hadn't gotten a factory rebuilt one on the cheap I wouldn't have bought it. Most of us added new urethane tires, a new spring to the tensioning rod, cool blocks and a link-belt to replace the rubber drive belt. Like Dave said, lots of threads on this in the archives.
          Later,
          Chiz

Comment

Hi all - first post but
            For sure I wouldn't choose the RIDGID
            I have to disagree with BD- I have had this unit for 3 years - and have never had a problem with it. Although mine is the gray model and not the orange - so I am not sure if it compares to the new orange model or not?
            The cuts are great - I have no vibration with the unit at all and as VASandy stated - with a few changes like the link belt and urethane tires - would even make it a better unit.
            Last edited by Larrysch; 03-04-2009, 10:04 AM.

Comment

I have the Ridgid BS 14002. It needed some tweeking right out of the box, but is the cheapest ($) bandsaw of the 14" Delta clones. My biggest problem were the tires. I replaced them with Urethane tires and balanced the wheels. Total cost, $25 for the tires. After a little tuning, its a great saw. If you are on a budget, this saw is a good start. There are all the fixes for the various problems right here in this forum. If you dont choose the Ridgid, Grizzly is the one I would recommend. I would stay away from NEW Delta stuff. They are having real problems right now, as they have switched to Asian manufacturing and havent worked out all the bugs. Just my opinion.

Comment

I have had the orange Rigid bandsaw for anout 3 years and have go luck with it. Yes I changed the belt to a link. And changed the tires. For the vibration, mounted two sheets of 3/4" ply between the saw and stand, and also trashed the rubber motor mounts and replaced them with rubber mounts you would get for the front shocks on your car. Much stronger and thicker. Not quite the nickel test but I'm happy with it. I also put a placer from Grizzley so I resaw wider wood. If I was to have any complaints, it would be the threaded rod for the blade adjustment could be better. Mine stripped out after about a year and was replaced by one from the machineshop with stronger threads. My own views.

Comment

Thanks guys for all of you info on the ridgid 14" bandsaw. I took your advance and brought a ShopFox 14" got it for under $500 and am pleased with it so far easy to set up no vibration andhums like baby. Thanks again Bandsaw43

Comment

Working...
                  X