Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS24240 Owners

Hi everyone,

Are there any members that own a model TS24240 here that would mind answering a few questions about that particular model?

Thank you,

Gump

Gump,
    Run a search on the saw or the topics of your questions, and you'll be suprised to see how many FAQ you can get answered that way. Otherwise, that's why we're here. Ask the question first though.

Comment

Hi CHEFHDAN,

I already ran some searches prior to posting so I wouldn't waste the forum users time.

But here are some more details about what I am after.

I purchased a used TS24240 at an auction yesterday as part of an estate sale. There were two problems with the saw that can be fixed.

The first is that the lever assembly for the mobile base is gone. This is only an assumption, but I am guessing that it broke off and the owner couldn't be bothered to repair it.

Is this part prone to failure or is it a solidly constructed part that is worth ordering and repairing. If it is flawed I can fabricate something a little more robust to solve the problem.

The second problem is that the handwheel and rod is missing for the blade bevel. My guess is that the previous owner forgot to unclock the trunion assembly before turning the handwheel and pressed the ball on the rod out of the cup.

I checked a friends Ridgid tablesaw, his is only a year old, and there have been some design changes. Is this particular part known to have an issue? Again, is it safe to order replacement parts or should I be looking at making my own?

The third is a modification question. I am considering moving the fence rails to increase capacity on the right side of the blade. I don't need 24" to the left, especially on a left tilt saw. Has anyone done this? Any words of warning from experience? From a quick look, all it will cost is the price of new measuring tapes.

Thank you,

Gump

Comment

Yeah Gump,

If you're looking at the base with a carriage on each side carrying two legs each, that sucker might be a problem. I bought my 2424 off of the floor in the recent clearance sales, and the arm was missing off of mine. I assume that someone broke theirs & the HD just gave the one off of the floor model. I found the replacement parts at another HD and replaced the whole shebang. You might want to see if you can snap up a Herc-U-lift at the HD. They might have them on clearance now. The herc has better mobility in tight spaces but you'll lose some of the storage below the saw. No, it's not much space but I gotta use every inch th keep the car inside so I don't have to scrap the friggin windshied in the morning.

As for the rails, yes, I shifted mine to the right with no ill effects. Go and download the manual if you haven't already & just pay close attention to the alignments & there won't be a problem. I've put the rails & fence from the 365o onto my saw & I think that the fit & finish is much better.

As for your other questions, I can't really respond. I'm fairly new with my saw but sometimes you can get lucky with the people on the Ridgid tech lines & get stuff easily & sometimes even FREE WooHoo!

& just for those of us who are nosy??? How good a deal didja Get I paid $350 W/ the 3650 Rails & fence thrown in!

Comment

Thanks ChefHDAN,

I paid $400 in Canadian Pesos. A little too much when you take into account the missing parts but in the long run, much cheaper than the new General I had planned on buying later this year.

I'm supposed to talk to the auctioneer later on this week and see if some of the parts are laying around the shop it came out of. I've got my fingers crossed but not getting my hopes up.

I can get away with just buying the rod and handwheel, and fabricating parts for the rest and if those parts are too expensive I'll machine a rod and find a handwheel elsewhere.

I took a closer look at the rails today and it is an easy job to move them.

Thanks for you input.

Gump

Comment

There are 5 or 6 square head bolts holding the rail on. Going though the extion wings and the main table. There are 5 or 6 nuts on each side of the tablesaw. That needs to be loosen to slide the rails. Of course youy will need a new tape measure. I hope this helps.

[ 02-01-2004, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Andy B. ]
            Andy B.

Comment

I have the TS2424 model and have not had any problems with the parts you mentioned. If you want to replace them ... download the manual and in the back they have the diagrams for all the parts including the universal caster system. I received my saw as a gift. I would either build a mobil base or buy one. It works but can give you problems if the floor you are moving it on is not perfectly level. The legs catch and etc. That is my two cents.

Comment

Gump,

I have a quick question for you. When you lower your saw blade all the way what is the clearance from the top of your table to the top of your blade?

Comment

Hi Ronnie,

I'm not sure if I was able to get it all the way down due to all the pine pitch covering everything under the saw, but I got it down to 1/16" below the tabletop. I won't be able to give you an honest answer until spring when it's warm enough in the shop to clean the saw up. Though it would explain why the inserts are so thin.

It turns out the previous owner removed the tilt assembly because he broke the handwheel. I picked up the rod and a few other things from him yesterday. A new handwheel is $19 (Can).

The actuator for the mobile base broke as well. A new one is the same price as a mobile base that won't break so I'm going to go that route.

Thanks for everyones input.

Gump

Comment

Ronnie,

I have the TS2424 and my blade doesn't lower enough that it doesn't rub against my zero clearance insert. I thought it was a defective insert and ordered another one from Ridgid and it too contacts the blade at all times. I called Ridgid and they confirmed that I had to lower the insert on to the spinning blade to make the original cut. On other saws I have owned you install the insert flush and raise the blade to make the initial cut.

Comment

Originally posted by shoe:
                      Ronnie,

I have the TS2424 and my blade doesn't lower enough that it doesn't rub against my zero clearance insert. I thought it was a defective insert and ordered another one from Ridgid and it too contacts the blade at all times. I called Ridgid and they confirmed that I had to lower the insert on to the spinning blade to make the original cut. On other saws I have owned you install the insert flush and raise the blade to make the initial cut.
                      The general solution is to mount a smaller blade, say an 8" one from a dado set. Then you can raise the blade up through the zero clearance insert in the usual manner.

Comment

I have a 2424, have had it for several years and I have not had any of the issues you cite. For example I set the blade the day I got it with a square and I checked it yesterday with my new guages and it is still at .002 heel -- very good.

My saw blade tucks away about a half inch below the zero clearance -- the wheels and rods have not been a problem. The saw you have must have been abused.

One item I did have trouble with is the miter, and I called HD about a month ago and they sent a new one at no cost. My guess is they have all the parts you want, just call their customer service. Hopefully you have a manuel for part numbers. The spitter is not very good, and I have to fuss with it regularly and that is the only "headache" I have had with the entire saw. It has been a good unit for me.

Harley1

Comment

Working...
                        X