X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3360 Left side router table

Hi, everyone.; I am new to this forum, and about to purchase TS3660 table saw. I am impressed by what I have read and seen about this saw.
    My question is, has anyone added a router table to the left side of the saw table by moving the saw table left extension to the right side and adding the router table in it's place. My basement shop is cramped and awkwardly shaped,so a router table on the right side wont work. My existing saw(old as the hills) has a router mounted on the homemade out feed table, but a router on the right side would be easier to use. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance, Jim.

Re: TS 3360 Left side router table

Originally posted by jim leslie View Post
    Hi, everyone.; I am new to this forum, and about to purchase TS3660 table saw. I am impressed by what I have read and seen about this saw.
    My question is, has anyone added a router table to the left side of the saw table by moving the saw table left extension to the right side and adding the router table in it's place. My basement shop is cramped and awkwardly shaped,so a router table on the right side wont work. My existing saw(old as the hills) has a router mounted on the homemade out feed table, but a router on the right side would be easier to use. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance, Jim.
    I'm thinking that the saw would be unbalanced and a bit (lot) tippy on the right side.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Bench Dog makes a cast iron router table which you could add to the left side by removing the existing (in your case, the intended) CI extension on the left side and bolting this in its place. But, nothing says that you can't leave the CI table off and build your own, as so many have done for the right side. Do a search and you will find several examples of homemade tables.

Best of luck!
      Chiz
      Later,
      Chiz

Comment

There are several after market table saw router tables out there in additon to the one that Bench Dog sells.
        None of them should affect the ballance of your saw since it does not attach to the edge of the existing extension but rather it replaces it as was mentioned in another post.

Comment

If you look at my post it might help. I don't see any reason why left side would not work the same. I'm not sure what you are gaining though unless you intend to leave one of the cast iron extentions off. It can all be handmade and a parallel fence is not a big deal for me since I always guide agains the fence so it makes no difference if the fence is at a slight angle. TS3660 Saw modifications

Comment

There are a couple concerns here for me.

1. If you remove the left CI wing and do not reuse it the TS is unbalanced and could pose a tipping hazard.

2. If you move the left wing to the right adding it alongside the existing right hand CI wing you will certainly have a balance problem and will create an unsafe condition UNLESS you provide some support that transmits the additional weight down directly to the floor (as opposed to some sort of angled brace that transfers the load to the TS legs).

3. Removing the left CI wind and installing an aftermarket CI router wing such as the Bench Dog should pose no problem from a stability standpoint that I can foresee BUT it does create (the way I see it) a usability concern for the TS which is the primary tool here.

Not sure about you but I think most people use their TS with the fence to the right of the blade. In most cases you will want to keep the left side of the table (left of the blade that is) clear of any obstruction which might interfere with moving material through the blade. If you set up your router table on the left and have the router installed and set up with a bit and a fence you have limited clearance and some significant obstacles to moving material and created obstructions that your hands must work around in order to use the TS unless you remove the fence and lower the router bit below the table surface every time you use the TS. Then you might have problems replicating your setup for additional pieces.

I put my router wing along side the RH wing of the TS and that lets me keep whatever setup I have for the router and still use the TS to rip up to 22" to the right of the blade and the left side is completely clear for whatever width I need. This is with leaving the router and router fence setup. I use a independent fence (Freud SH-5) for the router, not one attached to the TS fence.

You say you don't have room for the router on the RH side. I guess this side of your TS is near a wall or some other piece of equipment that would interfere with this configuration. Maybe you can take advantage when moving the new saw in and find an alternative layout to your shop that would allow you to utilize the RH side of the TS.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jim leslie View Post
              Thanks in advance, Jim.

I have the 3660 and recently purchased a Bench Dog ProMax router table for the left side extension. It works well and is longer than the original extension. I then took the original extension and attached it to the right side to extend my table. I will try and post a picture of it when i get home.

Here is the router table I purchased.
              http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21598

Comment

Originally posted by caleb View Post
                I have the 3660 and recently purchased a Bench Dog ProMax router table for the left side extension. It works well and is longer than the original extension. I then took the original extension and attached it to the right side to extend my table. I will try and post a picture of it when i get home.

Here is the router table I purchased.
                http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21598
                Here are a couple of pictures of the table and extension.
                Attached Files

Comment

The bench dog extension is very nice but I choke on paying nearly as much for an extension as I did for the rest of the saw...

Gonna add supports to the right side with both of those cast iron wings over there?

Comment

Originally posted by kirkroy View Post
                    The bench dog extension is very nice but I choke on paying nearly as much for an extension as I did for the rest of the saw...

Gonna add supports to the right side with both of those cast iron wings over there?
                    Rockler emailed me a coupon for 20% off and free shipping. I jumped on it pretty quick.

I thought about adding a support but when I weighed the router extension and fence, it came out to be within 6 lbs to the two original extensions together. The table is very stable and has not sagged any since I installed it that way, so I probably won't. However, I did have to drill out four bolt holes in both table extensions to get them to bolt together that way. I used some grade 5 bolts to connect them.

Comment

Thanks, everyone for your opinions. The new TS3360 is assembled and adjusted and working fine. Caleb, your layout is what I am hoping to do, but with a MDF & laminate router table. Thank You for the pictures, they help a lot.
                      When I can find the time, I plan on replacing the original base with a cabinet with a bigger footprint for more stability, and storage.
                      The reason for the left side router , is a pillar, and low headroom (duct-work) on the right side. I have tried other positions with my old saw,and nothing else works Thanks everyone, Jim

Comment

Working...
                      X