Ridgid R4511 overkill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid R4511 overkill?

fastlane...good idea about allocating resources effectively, but the 4516 is a joke. it looks like an amped up version of the entry level ryobi 10"portable table saw. if you want a good table saw that will do just about anything and you don't want to break the bank, search out a ridgid 3650 or 3660 10" contractor saw. there is nothing the 4511 can do that the 3650/60 can't. the major difference between them is the granite top of the 4516 while the 3650/60 is cast iron. the 3650/60 is being clearanced at HD for $399, an excellent price which also happens to be less than the 2410, which is a great portable table saw. you won't be sorry.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
      fastlane...good idea about allocating resources effectively, but the 4516 is a joke. it looks like an amped up version of the entry level ryobi 10"portable table saw. if you want a good table saw that will do just about anything and you don't want to break the bank, search out a ridgid 3650 or 3660 10" contractor saw. there is nothing the 4511 can do that the 3650/60 can't. the major difference between them is the granite top of the 4516 while the 3650/60 is cast iron. the 3650/60 is being clearanced at HD for $399, an excellent price which also happens to be less than the 2410, which is a great portable table saw. you won't be sorry.
      Thank you. I originally was after the 3660 but just missed them. There are none in my state of MT or WA (at least within reasonable driving distance). I initially picked up the 2410, but after pulling it out of the box and inspecting it for 5 minutes, back to HD it went. If the 4516 is a huge step down, I'll stick with the 4511. Pretty sad my TS will have a nicer top than my kitchen.

Comment

The TS3660 is a hell of a saw and nearly half the cost of the R4511.

Missed your last comment about none in your area...make sure they check for a TS3650 too...also it wouldn't hurt to check yourself if they are close by.

Comment

Not just the granite top my friend. The rails are SOLID. Much more so than the aluminum. The rails and fence is heavy steel but I can move the fence with my little finger with no effort. Not saying the 3650-60 isn't a good saw, but the difference between them and the 4511 is more than one might think.

Buck

Comment

Buy the BEST THAT YOU CAN AFFORD, a good tool will last you quite a while and make your hobby that much more enjoyable!

Comment

fastlane...when you say there are no 3650/60s in your state, are you relying on the HD inventory system to indicate that? if you are, i would strongly advise your going to every HD around you and looking for yourself, especially in the overheads in and around the tool corral. i have gotten most of my tools that way, even when the "system" said there were none in the store. hell, when i bought my washer and dryer, the associate said they were out of stock until i suggested he look in the overhead directly above his head, and there they were. for a savings of $300, it could be a fun and financially rewarding excursion.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

fastlane...when you say there are no 3650/60s in your state, are you relying on the HD inventory system to indicate that? if you are, i would strongly advise your going to every HD around you and looking for yourself, especially in the overheads in and around the tool corral. i have gotten most of my tools that way, even when the "system" said there were none in the store. hell, when i bought my washer and dryer, the associate said they were out of stock until i suggested he look in the overhead directly above his head, and there they were. for a savings of $300, it could be a fun and financially rewarding excursion.
                Thanks for the advice. I did manually check myself in three around my area (within 250 miles) and didn't find any. I'll have to take the department persons word that there aren't any at the rest of the stores I called. For what it would cost me in time and fuel it's not worth it going any further than I have. You guys have pretty much made up my mind to stick with my 4511 order. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Comment

For rough cutting large panels of plywood, I use an aluminum straight edge purchased a Lowe's for about $12. Better stores have speed clamping straight edge's for $30 to $40. (Granahls Lumber in So Cal) I would only use a straight edge to rough out pieces for final cutting on my 4511.

Comment

Working...
                  X