Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 3660 TS dust port to 4"?

Hello all:
    New member, first post. You seem like a friendly group!

I just bought a 3660 TS (and planer and spindle sander!) and have a question regarding modifying the tablesaw to accept a 4" port for use with my Jet dust collector. I did the right thing and searched...and have spent the last hour reading posts that have been pretty helpful. It seems, though, that most have enclosed the base and I would prefer not to do that.

My saw hasn't been assembled yet, and I have the chassis upside down on my workbench. I see that Ridgid has (nicely) designed a blade shroud with a 2 1/2" dust port. The port is on an angle as necessary to allow clearance when tilting the blade. I bought a 4" port from WoodCraft that is angled from the flange, and I think it will work.

What I want to do is to remove the 2 1/2" port (already done, actually, and design a plate that will mate the underside of the blade guard to the new 4" port using the four removed screws and indexes for keeping the "tabs" on the shroud in place as the original port does:

Has anyone done this? I found nothing in my forum search, but some of the links that were provided were old and no longer available...so maybe someone has?

It certainly seems like it should work.

But if it's so easy, how come I don't see evidence of others doing it? I must be missing something!

Re: Converting 3660 TS dust port to 4"?

I just wonder if, at the point of going far enough to remove the stock dust port, everyone just cuts over to something that hangs off the bottom of the "cabinet" with a dust port directly in the center to catch the falling sawdust.

I know thats my plan. Something like this but maybe home made: http://www.pennstateind.com/store/R-TDHOOD.html

Comment

I'd kind of hate to lose the advantage of the dust collector system by bumping it down to 2 1/2" diameter.

The options are to:

**affix a 2 1/2" hose to the port, letting it hang down and hooking up to my vac (also a Ridgid!) as needed

**affix a 2 1/2" hose to the port, letting it hang down and hooking up, via adaptor, to my dust collector as needed

**affix a 2 1/2" hose to the port and installing it to an affixed adaptor (maybe mounted on a board between the saw legs), and hooking up to my dust collector as needed

**Use my idea above to convert the shroud to a 4" output and run a hose to a connector mounted between the saw legs, and hooking up to my dust collector as needed

I really like the last idea as it seems the most elegant, keeps the whole path at 4" and means I don't have the hose hanging on the ground all the time. But like I said, I feel I must be missing a factor in that I haven't seen anyone else doing this!

Comment

I wish I could find the pic Im thinking of........someone had their 3650/3660 sitting in the shop with a setup similar to what I linked to......basically a flex line hanging out from underneath running to their DC.

My setup will have the flex line running out the back to the DC suction inlet thats on my wall. Need to include enough flex to pull the saw away from the wall as much as I will ever need to, or at least make it easy enough to disconnect and install a longer hose if required.

I was thinking of trying it two ways: 1 with a short extension coming off of the existing dust port and somehow lining up inside the center of the outlet to the flex hose, and 2 completely without the existing shroud.

The hope for option 1 is that it would create some turbulence to make better suction both thru the shroud and around the inside of the "cabinet". Not sure it would help or hinder, but figured it was worth a shot.

Oddly enough, I bought a 2.5" to 4" adapter from Woodcraft and it does NOT fit the shroud on the TS3660. The 2.5" portion is the exact same diameter as the shroud, so the adapter is pretty useless to me, unless I add a short length of rigid shop-vac hose onto the shroud as that seems to fit OVER the shroud and the taper fits INTO the adapter.

Comment

Has anyone done this?
          Yes.

How well does it work? I don't know.

There is a person's web page out there with the details on building it but i will have to search for it as I don't have it bookmarked.

I'll try to find it this weekend when I will have more time to search.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thank you, Bob...

As I mentioned in the first post, I searched and only came up with "enclosures", though a fair number of links were no longer working!

Comment

Here is the link to the mod sir.

http://benchmark.20m.com/tools/Ridgi...ification.html

I have the 3660 and I ran a small section of 2 1/2 inch and down from the port to a wood crossmemeber I made and used a 2 1/2" to 4" port. I just bend down and connect the dust collector hose like on any machine in the shop. Honestly, to me this works fine and I have not seen the need to mod the port. It is definetely cool though.

If you do it, post back on how it works please, thanks.

Comment

Spinkid:
                Thanks for the link...very helpful!! My plan at this point is to do BOTH things... convert the dust port on my 3660 saw to 4" right at the shroud for maximum suckage and also mount a plate between the back legs on the saw to facilitate easy on/off of the connecting dust collection hose.

I thought I would give an update at this point and ask a bit of advice. If I continue with the project, I'll give a couple more updates as the project progresses.

This is the underside of the saw, with the existing dust port in place. I had taken this photo previously, and it shows the undersides from the opposite side of the photos to follow:

The following photo shows the plastic dust port removed. A few points to note are the four holes for the machine screws to hold in the existing port, and the fact that there are two tabs for the blade shroud that, having previously been held in place by the old port, need to be factored in with the new design.

Here is the mostly finished new 4" port next to the original one, with the corresponding mounting holes highlighted. It was made from a 2x6 which, after jointing and planing, is about 1 1/4" thick. The Woodcraft 4" fitting is attached with four Kreg pocket hole screws with a couple of washers under each head to distribute the pressure. I used a forstner bit to countersink the locations for the machine screws that originally mounted the old dust port. Despite the countersinking, I'm planning on picking up longer machine screws.

The 4" hole for the airflow was started with a hole saw, but finished on my Ridgid spindle sander to increase it's size, and to "shape" the round hole to the rectangular opening a bit. Part of the round opening needs to be covered as well to avoid a portion of the 4" port from being "open".

At this stage, I still need to "secure" the tabs on the blade shroud. My first thought was to simply cut a slot in the block of wood, but the ongoing concern here is keeping all of this offset enough to allow the blade to tilt to it's 45° position, and had I let the wood block "cover" the tabs, I wouldn't be able to get the full blade tilt. I had decided instead to attach a bracket to the side of the block to hold the tabs tight up against the wood block. So I fashioned a bracket that will go around the front, holding the taps, but also attach down the sides where the screws wouldn't interfere with any others. Shown below is the bracket separated and "in place" (though not attached yet).

Now to the problem and the reason I'm unsure of continuing: I wasn't able to really "place" the new port or wood block until it was mostly fashioned, and now that I do, I see that I still will have a problem with the hose "pressing" on the flange of one of the leg supports.

I'm unsure if I should:

** Continue and just let the hose press into it, though this "pinch" might cause a hose failure or even make it a bit difficult to tilt the blade a full 45° (unacceptable obviously)

** Cut out a little half-moon section of the metal, allowing me to use the full 4" hose connection without problems

** Give up on the idea entirely, allowing that I had a fun afternoon puttering in the shop, and just use the port that came with the saw!

Thoughts?

Comment

I have to agree with Spinkid. I just ran a 2 1/2" hose to a 4" adapter and called it a day. With the factory design, no matter if its 2 1/2" or converted to a 4" you will not catch all the dust unless the base is enclosed. So if you’re going to go through all the effort to convert it why not just enclose the base and make the connection 4"? Just MHO. BTW. This is from not only a fellow wood worker, but also a former NH native.
                  Here are the pics of what I did with mine:

Let us know how it works out.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Altima 3.5; 03-11-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I just thought I'd give an update. I've asked several questions here, maybe this post can help someone else. This wasn't rocket science, but it's probably something all the new 3650/3660 have thought of, so...

I gave up on converting the 3660 dust shroud to 4". I just really wasn't going to get the clearance to tilt the blade 45° without some surgery, and some helpful posts here made me dubious that I'd gain much suction as ultimately the airflow would likely be limited to the size of the opening on the shroud itself.

So yesterday I took a little time to mount a 2.5" to 4" adapter on a plywood mount between the back legs. I don't see myself taking the time to finish it past the sanding I did, but who knows? I think someone said it was Krylon "pumpkin" something or another that was a close match!

Edit:

OK, I got curious so I tried it in Photoshop:

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 04-05-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

nice application. what holds the 2 1/2 to 4" adapter in the plywood?
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkSJohnson View Post
                        Thank you, Bob...

As I mentioned in the first post, I searched and only came up with "enclosures", though a fair number of links were no longer working!
                        Yup, that was the one I was trying to find. Sorry but I looked through my bookmarks and didn't find and never got back to you. I thought I had saved that but maybe it was on my old computer and I did not transfer or save the bookmarks to my new one.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                          nice application. what holds the 2 1/2 to 4" adapter in the plywood?
                          Just the hose clamp on the backside right now, as the front is naturally held in by it's diameter not fitting through the hole. It's a pretty good fit, but if it starts rattling or vibrating, I'll cement it in. I figured this way if I want to mod it further I'm not completely committed.

Bob, I was very aware of your not getting back to me. The first couple of days I checked the forum pretty much hourly...then it became 5-6 times a day. As my hope waned over the next few weeks, I just started checking once a day. Finally, I could take the disappointment no more and settled for crying myself to sleep each night.

Seriously, I figured it had slipped your mind but I'm already so thankful for the help I've gotten here there was no way I'd ask again! It's all good!

Comment

there was no way I'd ask again!
                            Never let that stop you when it comes to me or something
                            I have promised I'd do. I find the older I get the easier it is to
                            forget these things. I certainly don't mean to but it happens,
                            so PM me or ask again to help jump-start my brain. That goes
                            for anyone else on here too I owe something to too.

The best (or worst) example I can think of is stinking passwords.
                            At work for various systems I need five different passwords, drives
                            me nuts when you add in all the personal passwords too for banking,
                            stocks, annuity, insurance, credit cards, etc.

I need one of those fingerprint or retina scanners.
                            ---------------
                            ---------------
                            ---------
                            ---------

Comment

Working...
                            X