X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Table Saw

Hello everyone, I am new to the board and wanted to get your opinions. I am looking to get a table saw and was very interested in the Ridgid TS3650. I know this is a Ridgid board, so most of you will probably encourage me to buy this TS, but I wanted to compare this saw to the Jet JWTS-10JF and the Sears Craftsman 22849. Does anyone have any thoughts? Opinions? Good and Bad experiences with the 3650? Any help would be appreciated...I will also be searching the archives for past discussions about this.

Thanks for your help.

Todd.

Todd - just do a search-heavy discussion on same and very recent. I personally like mine very much-2 here in shop. If you really pay attention to the posts you will find that those of us who actually own and use have nary a bad word to say. Someone truly dislikes but has never owned one nor even used it - reasons frankly not understood by "real" owners of this saw.
    This topic gets pretty hot around here - again, read and take it from there.
    Most of us have looked at the alternative saws out there. A couple bought something different I believe for various reasons - but the competition in this price range is minimal-for another $150 or so it gets a little different.
    Feel-look-if you can,try them out.
    I'm sold on this TS - but also General and the Bridgewood's nice too. Then the prices start to go up further and I say at $800 you really need to look at the Grizz 1023 CS. Different game there altogether.
    Again-happy with them here. And a BIGGGGGGGGG>>>
    Ohhhhhhhhh no - here we go again!
    Wish I had the answers ..... even half of \'em

Comment

Okay Todd - I swallowed the bait. See forum here entitled "ask the woodworking experts"....and you ___ and now me ___ asked for it

I think it mostly unbiased actually ---- just real owners vs non-owners.

Either side of that line has folks whom have actually looked at and discussed the alternative saws in depth and I think are very honest in opinions. Note - I am speaking to "the other saws"..... you figure it out from there by reading.
      Happy hunting and welcome aboard

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize how volitale this subject is. Now that I have done some searching, I see this topic has been discussed in detail. I guess I just won't get any work done today as I sift through these responses.

Thanks for your response Cranky. I am trying to find a TS to make my kitchen cabinets. I have had a good amount of experience with woodworking in the past, just haven't owned my own TS. Now that I have an intensive project, I need something more accessable than my friend who lives across town. He has a Griz 1023, and I would love to use that, but with his 3 girls and trying to transport everything back and forth, I just need to buy my own. The unfortunate thing is I don't feel settled on one saw (I have been looking at Jet, Craftsman, Griz, and Delta) They all have thier drawbacks and good points. The one that comes up from everyone seems to be the GI Contractor's Saw, but that is really pushing the budget.....oh, well. Off i go to search some more....

Thanks for the help, and if I do buy the 3650, I am glad to have found this forum as it has a tremendous amount of great information.

Todd.

Comment

The Jet is a well proven basic saw for ~ $500-$550 bucks - 2 stamped steel wings, rather lightweight aluminum fence, but has a good following, good dealer network and support. The delta 36-650 is similar. I wouldn't even waste my time researching the Craftsman...too much controversy over the newer stuff...too many horror stories that justify the controversy. The Ridgid has some nice features - herculift, 36" rip, left tilt, but is very new and there are some manufacturing bugs to work out, and the fence is still relatively lightweight compared to some available for another $50. The GI you keep hearing about is $650 at many dealers (Hartville Tool, Tools-plus to name a couple)....it compares to many $800-900 saws from Delta, Jet, PM, but does not cost that much unless you ship it cross the country. It has a great fence, two solid cast iron wings, a proven track record, and dealer support. FWW mag rated #1 this month over everything in the category. The Bridgewood is on sale now for $529 plus s/h. It has a nice fence and one solid cast iron wing, but it's mail order only and has a 1 year warranty. If you live a long way for PA, the s/h will kill ya. The new Grizzly's show promise at their respective price points, but are too new to have seen or heard anything about.

A TS will probably be your most important tool and should last a lifetime if you choose well. Have fun hunting and good luck!

Comment

Todd,
            I am one of the happy owners of the 3650. [img]smile.gif[/img] Cranky and Heywood have given you the straight scoop. Happy hunting! [img]smile.gif[/img]
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Good observations todd,

I think this topic is heated b/c it's probably most shop's biggest investment. Tough decision to make. I know it took me a couple months to make up my mind and poke around enough to where I felt I was ready to buy.

You're askin about ridgid so I'm not gonna chime in b/c I don't own one. But good luck on your hunt.

Jake

Comment

Hewood

Good objective descriptions. It's nice having a non antagonistic table saw thread for once, huh.

BTW, has anybody ever seen a bridgewood or GI in person. I have read of them on several posts but never seen one outside of a website?

Just curious.

Jake

Comment

Todd
                  I own the 3650, no regets for the money.
                  Someday I may upgrade to a CS $1500+.
                  For now I think it is hard to beat the 3650.
                  SCWood

Comment

Hi Woodworkerjake - Yes, I've seen them. The BW is a nice saw that's currently on sale at an attractive price @ $529. (Amazing how our perceptions change with price isn't it?) It's well built with a standard design similar to better models from Jet/PM/Delta, and fit and finish are very good. The saw has been pretty well reviewed despite relatively weak marketing. Wilke Machinery is currently offering it with a free link belt and precision steel pulleys. The fence is a Biese knock-off, but is not quite as rugged as a real Biesemeyer. It only comes with one CI wing, but offers free legs to support an extension table. A second wing would cost another $70, and the x-table is around $85 or you can build one. Wilke is great to deal with, but s/h can get very high. They're currently offering 1/2 price s/h on some items to some destinations. They could give you the details. Cons - not as well known, mail order, one year warranty, potential high s/h, fence is very good but not outstanding. Pretty nice package if the price is right.

The GI is the real deal. Choice of left or right tilt with an outstanding fence identical to the Biesemeyer. If you've ever been to a Woodcraft or WWer's Warehouse store that has the Powermatic PM64a, or top Jet or Delta, it's very difficult to find major differences between them and the GI. Lots of saw and a nice accessory package for $650. The saw itself is wonderful - the knocks on General would be their smallish dealer network, and that the manuals are notoriously sparse on many of their machines. I believe their distribution is expanding, but that could take some time to make a substantial difference. The manuals have been being addressed for the past several months, and should have marked improvement in the immediate to near future depending on which machine.

I realize this a pro-Ridgid forum, and I appreciate their sponsorship of it b/c I enjoy the discussions. Being more "Ridgid-neutral" than some on this forum may make me an "outsider", and some folks get a bit ruffled when I make positive comments about other products, but it's good for all woodworkers to be objective and educated about their tools. Most of my statements are factual, some are merely opinions when the situations seem appropriate. Hopefully we can all continue to discuss, enjoy, and learn together.

Comment

Thanks,

I agree, I try to keep the same perspective as you. "Product neutral" but do express my opinion if asked or feel strongly about a subject.

I was lured into the Powermatic at the Woodcraft stores.. go figure.. lol.

My rationale was I'm young ( 30 yrs old ) and will be using this tool for next 50 years. so looked at it as an investment. My starting price looking at saws was absolutely no more than 500 bucks out of pocket.. LOL. ( cough cough )

After being enammered by choices ( even considered Ridgid ), Woodcraft and amazon's reviews of PM64A locked me in. I really liked the idea of getting to touch, feel, and see some of the differences in fence systems in person. I try to encourage everybody to do that before buying because it's probably most significant tool in most folk's shop. Especially people interested in furniture building. But some of the "ridgid die hard's" take it offensively and attack. Most on this site are pretty cool though.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by woodworkerjake:
                        Hewood

Good objective descriptions. It's nice having a non antagonistic table saw thread for once, huh.

BTW, has anybody ever seen a bridgewood or GI in person. I have read of them on several posts but never seen one outside of a website?

Just curious.

Jake
                        Jake - have used the GI(older version of current 185 I believe), it's great ts, make no doubt about it. Great fence, solid,solid,solid wings, motor strong as ox too. I cannot say I ever found a thing to not like about it. My only problem with it is/was by time I added shipping, mobile base,etc I was not that far away from the 1023 in price...well, w/i $170 range. Of course then I would likely not add mobile base beacause it would be semi-fixed so factored not that in on Grizz.
                        So my decision was ___personally___to make that bigger $350+ to 1023 or be happy w/ 3650 as it DOES do all we ask of a ts, and use alot of jigs and now outfeed so fits bill very well. $350++ times 2 and now we actually at $700 ++ and just could not justify.
                        Never used current Bridgewood-have seen one, while in assmbly stage by owner recently. Seemed nice - shipping was very high. I like the fence better myself on GI based on looks and feel but did not use. It's really rated high FWTW by many mags as a "best buy" but never know for sure what they mean.
                        I like looks of new Grizz - BO and fact I've never heard of anyone's experience and cannot physically touch one yet meant I wasn't willing to go that route. Likely gonna be a winner but...touch-feel--ya know what I mean.
                        So my logic went the 3650 way.....and not unhappy in it. I get CS envy at times I admit but just don't need one. Want - ya bet. Need - nope.

Comment

Hey hewood - I consider you to be an "insider"

What I most appreciate is you do remain somewhat "neutral", hit pros and cons of all vendors and are careful of opinions. Them we all got - but thought out ones sometimes hard to come by.

Honesty appreciated - even if we disagree at times. Hmmmm - have we yet? I dunno.....and to lazy to read old stuff here.
                          Have a great weekend all

Comment

Yeah

I checked out Bridgewood after seeing these posts a couple times. Not in person though. Saw on site ( Price looks great on website ).

The articles about it also mention shipping varies based on location. I figure it's like a dell. Price looks great til you add in the 100 or more shipping.

btw. Have you EVER heard Dell advertise or even mention shipping until you've entered all your credit card info.. cough, cough.

Although, I do love my dell too =)

Jake

Comment

I bought a 3650 and have been very pleased so far. I had many concerns, mainly about customer support and Ridgid's shift in maunfacturing. However, the price for the 3650 was right and I pulled the trigger. I really liked the GI contractor saw, however shipping costs would have pushed it about $150-200 more than the RIdgid. Don't let criticism of the Ridgid disuade you. The same gripes leveled against Ridgid can also be found leveled against JEt, Delta, Grizzly, etc.. I found many horror stories posted around the web on each of these brands. One thing you may want to consider is that RIdgid offers a 90 day satisfaction gaurantee. If you are not satisfied, for any reason, you can return the saw for complete refund within the first 90 days. I am sure it would be a PITA to assemble the saw and then return it, but the option is there. My saw came well packaged with all parts machined true. Assembly was straight forward and adjustment minimal. The fence is good and locks down square to the table, although you could always buy an after market fence system. One thing I have not checked yet is the width of the miter gauge slots. ON previous models the width was milled slightly smaller than the .755" of other brands and people had a hard time using some accessories with the saw. Does anyone know if this has been carried over to the 3650?

Comment

Working...
                              X