Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My musings on my first 2 weeks in serious woodworking.

I am a newbie on this type of construction. I have done everything else woodwise but not a whole lot with table saw, router, etc. After much much research I bought the 3650, it had the cast iron top, 36 inch cut, Herculift, etc. I added every safety feature that I could get my hands on-I'm a pianist and organist and an IT manager. I even got that dual rubber wheel hold down gizmo. The fence is great. I guess a Beis. would be better but everytime I ask it for 2.5 inches I get 2.5 inches. And what could be better than all those slots on the fence. The Delta that I looked at today had like about 4 bolt holes and no tracks on the fence. It did however not move one iota when I tried to budge it. I think one of the reasons that the 3650 moves when you tug on it is that the herculift drags a little bit so it doesn't truly rest on the ends of the legs. I'm going to play around with it but moving this thing around in my garage every night is a dream. I thought I lost a bolt off the 3650 today so I called Ridgid and they sent me a blow up and parts list of the whole 3650 in an email so I like the CS so far.

I fired up the Freud dado set and I have another post on that so I won't go into it now except it looks pretty frightening especially when it is covered by a 2 x 4 over the zero clearance plate in order to make the first cut in it.

I bought a mulecab router table to mount my Makita plunge router that I have had for the last 12? years and only used it to cut dados. I already used it with a 1/4 inch rounded bit to make a series of flutings that I am using to frame a mirror. I have the Freud router fence and a variable speed router controller coming, as well as some raised panel bits. I mounted the mulecab onto the end of the 3650 and I had a devil of a time coming up with square head bolts for the tracks in the rails. I found out that Woodcraft has t bolts like they use on toilets and that does the trick.

The Ridgid thickness planer is great but as some have noted you really need a real jointer to get that nice 90 degree edge and then run it through the table saw. The Ridgid jointer is next on the list. I don't like the little streak marks that you get with these planers and I suppose it is from hitting hard spots or small knots in the wood.

My biggest help has been the advice of the people in this forum and I want to thank all for that. It has saved me a ton of time getting the right equipment etc. I have been to a few other forums but they don't compare to this one and 99% of the time people everyone is very positive.

thanks
    Gary

Welcome to the wonderful world of woodworking.
    Sounds like you're off to a great start.
    Just one comment. You shouldn't be getting streaks in the wood from your planer. Sounds like the blades might be chipped. It don't take much of a chip to leave a noticeable streak. They should sand out pretty easily though.
    Lorax
    "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Working...
    X