X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3660 fence not 90 degrees to the top

There have been some older posts which are similar to this subject, but I can't find an answer to the problem I have.

I have a new 3660 table saw. The fence is not at right angles to the top. I'm not talking so finniky as .001 or such, but considerably off. I have made sure that the rails are horizontally parallel to each other, and to the top. And no, the solution is not in the manual. The adustment there with the 4 bolts is for getting parallel to the miter slot. I am thinking that the solution is some very thin shims under 2 of the 4 bolts which hold the fence to the front carriage. Any thoughts?
    "non illegitimis carborundum"

Re: 3660 fence not 90 degrees to the top

I understand what you're saying. My first thought is that both rails may be set the same, but do they both tilt up (or down) in the same direction thus causing your fence not to be at 90 degrees to the table top...
    If the rails are level with the table top across the length of the table, then my next question is… is the fence warped from front to back? You said that the fence is considerably off, is it "considerably off by the same measurement from front to rear? If so, then your thought with some shims under two of the set screws may be your only option. I have not looked at mine (I’m not home), but is there a bold (or two) that attaches the fence to the T on the front rail? There is a bolt in the back of the fence to adjust the amount of pressure on the rear clamp; I'm just trying to picture if there is a long bolt that attaches through the "rail" to the "T" on the front rail. I do know that they are two pieces…It has to join together somehow…

Not sure if this helps.... Let me know what you find and I'll look at mine when I get home.

Comment

Altima, good thoughts. You go look at yours when you get home, and I will go look at mine in the morning, and we can compare observations.

Comment

Laflaone,

From what I can see (without removing it completely) it looks like there is a screw hiding under the Ridgid decal just above the locking mechanism on the front of the fence. Try removing the decal and see if that bolt will allow an adjustment of the left to right tilt of the fence.

Comment

OK, I will try it in the morning, and let you know. Anyone else out there that knows something about this, please give us your thoughts.

Comment

I am thinking that the solution is some very thin shims under 2 of the 4 bolts which hold the fence to the front carriage. Any thoughts?
            I had to do this on my 3650, I used some pieces of paper as shims on one side to square it up. Only took two thicknesses of paper and I was good.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

How's it working out? Any luck yet?

Comment

Altima, will know the whole story by the end of the day. On closer inspection, I have found that the fence has a longitudinal dish on the left side. Putting a straight edge on it, it curves in about 1/16" at the worst point. The right side is flat over its length, so the entire fence is not bent. Looks like an extrusion defect to me. I will probably solve this by drilling some thru holes in the fence, and face it with oak on each side. Will let you know how it all turns out, including the 90 degree problem.

Comment

I would consider having ridgid send you a new one. My experience was good with them and they mailed out a blade guard immediately. I your solution should work but it will make it bulkier and heavier realize. You've got nothing to lose by trying.

Comment

I agree, try Ridgid for a replacement. What have you got to lose?

Comment

Thanks guys. I just got off the phone with Ridgid technical support. They are sending me a replacement fence extrusion, should be here in 5-7 days. I think the reason they agreed to send it to me was that I said I only needed the extrusion, not the whole fence assy. They first wanted me to take it to the nearest service center. When I told them it was 50mi one way to West Palm Beach, and that after I took it, left it, and went back again I was looking at 200mi. I will post again when I get it, and see if the replacement is straight.

Comment

Glad to hear it.

So.......there is such a thing as customer service

Comment

Don't give them 5 stars yet. They were very reluctant to sent me the fence extrusion, wanting me instead to go the the "nearest" service center. Also, we will have to wait and see it the replacement fence has the same defect. Will let you know.

Comment

Working...
                          X