X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIGID DP1550 and Mortise Attachment

I am looking for a good drill press that can also serve as a mortiser until my budget allows for a dedicated mortiser (could be a while). Most of the posts I read are older and relate to the DP1500 iirc.

My main questions are:
    Will I need to do a lot of tweeking to get accurate mortises?
    Will I need to add a stabalizer to the DP table so it doesn't bend/bow?
    Is the RIDGID attachment the only model that will fit the DP1550?

Thanks

Wade

Re: RIGID DP1550 and Mortise Attachment

Hmm...let me try again

Would any one recommend the DP1550 as a temporary mortiser (until I can save up enough for a dedicated tool)? And if so, any setup advice?

note: I am a beginner and can only make things with plans/kits , and all the ones I have call for a few mortises.

Comment

I have the Ridgid DP1550 and the Ridgid mortise attachment. The mortise attachment works fine with the exception of the fence. I have replaced the fence with a shop-made one that I clamp to the DP table. It was a simple thing to make and works fine. The fence that comes with the Ridgid mortise attachment is so fussy to install and setup that I never like to use it. The DP itself is a great product. You can buy a mortise attachment from Home Depot (they sell ones by Delta and one other, I think) that will work on the Ridgid DP. The fence is easy enough to make with some 1/2" ply or MDF and some hardwood supports and clamp surfaces. I could probably work out the fence details into a plan and pm it to you. There's lots out there, though, so just google around and see what you find.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowdy55 View Post
        My main questions are:
        Will I need to do a lot of tweeking to get accurate mortises?
        Will I need to add a stabalizer to the DP table so it doesn't bend/bow
        This does not address your mortise question but just an FYI: inexpensive extension table+fence from HF may help with your table/fence issues:

Click image for larger version

Name:	dd07a36e2910d1ed9a611599dbc51e33.gif
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	6098

Maximize the workspace on your bench top press. Designed to extend table area on presses with throat measurements from 8" to 10"
        • 23-7/8" W x 11-5/8" L table dimensions
        • Aluminum T-track for jigs and fixtures
        • Adjustable fence for hold-down and stopping applications
        • Comes with stop B lock and mounting clamp
        • 1" thick particle board tabletop and fence
        • ITEM 96395-1VGA

Comment

I am not familiar with the dp1550 but I can say that you will need a pretty rugged drill press if you plan on mortising hard woods like oak, maple and walnut. I have a mortising machine made by general tools and it is suprising how much force it takes to make mortises in hardwood stock, and this is a heavy duty machine. I've never tried using a drill press but i'm guessing that if it isn't a heavy duty machine with good leverage on the handle, you'll be limited to lighter stock due to the fact that you will encounter flexing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ronan View Post
            I am not familiar with the dp1550 but I can say that you will need a pretty rugged drill press if you plan on mortising hard woods like oak, maple and walnut. I have a mortising machine made by general tools and it is suprising how much force it takes to make mortises in hardwood stock, and this is a heavy duty machine. I've never tried using a drill press but i'm guessing that if it isn't a heavy duty machine with good leverage on the handle, you'll be limited to lighter stock due to the fact that you will encounter flexing issues.
            I've done mortises in cherry, oak, and walnut as well as pine. The DP1550 has worked fine. Just make sure you properly adjust the motor speed according to the work you're doing. I keep a "recommended speed" chart near the DP. The inside of the top cover shows how to set the bands for the speed ratings.

Comment

Thanks for the information VaSandy, I will make sure to keep the speed chart handy. I bought the DP1550 and the RIDGID R4330 planer today, but the store didn't have the mortise attachment in stock so I'm going to order it and a DP table (like the one reConx posted) online.

Rowdy

Comment

Actually, I should have said "spindle speed" instead of motor speed! You don't adjust the motor, you adjust how fast the spindle spins.

Comment

Working...
                X