Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Suggestions - Jigs for Aligning Blade

First of all unrelated to my question:

I finally went out and purchased the TS3660 last night and started putting it together.

My Question:

Can someone direct me to a website with instructions to make a blade alignment jig or give me instructions/tips as to the best jig I can make to align the blade once everything is put together?

Also any other operating/alignment tips you have would be appreciated as after work I want to finish off building the saw and get it running in perfect condition tonight.

Can't wait to break this virgin saw in.

Thank you very much,

bc

Re: Need Suggestions - Jigs for Aligning Blade

There's a couple answers for alignment devices. One I found at Woodcraft for $99.99. Another at Rockler for $72.99. Either would be good at aligning the blade to the miter slot.

You need to be able to use a dial caliper, and read it properly. For me, that wasn't a simple project and I had to learn these skills. It takes some time but it's worth it in the end. I made a jig with a piece of hardwood that fit in the miter slot and attached my dial caliper to that. I marked one tooth on the blade and measured that tooth at the front and rotated the blade, moved the dial caliper to the back and measured the same tooth.

This article at The New Woodworker seems to have some good ideas on how to setup your TS.
    Last edited by VASandy; 03-11-2009, 10:39 AM. Reason: added the article, instead of just junk to buy!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

You can get a dial indicator from Harbor Freight for less than $20. That, a piece of wood and your miter gauge are what you need. Or spend $100 and get the whole set-up rig.

Comment

I don't know about a jig, but the alignment procedure in the manual is pretty straightforward and worked for me. Works best if your square has ticks every 1/32"

I found I had to align the blade slightly to get it complete parallel to the mitre slots, but even after that, after ripping a long length of plywood, the dimensions were not consistent over the length of the rip. Turned out my splitter was slightly misaligned and the error was being amplified over the length of the board... so that's one way, at least, to easily determine misalignment of the splitter.

That's all I got...

Comment

I own a dial caliper but prefer to do this alignment using something like they've made here:
          http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030411sn.html

Comment

Great article Sandy thanks for posting the link. Pat

Comment

As mentioned, get a cheap dial indicator and use a piece of scrap or something to attach it to your miter guage:
              Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

Here is a home made jig for aligning the blade and also works for making thin stock the same each time. Cost is only for the knob - the rest is left overs.
                Attached Files

Comment

Wow these are all great suggestions and tips. Thank you so much to everyone who chimed in as I'll have my work cut out for me tonight as I fiddle with all the different ideas.

Thanks again!

PS - I fired up the saw for the first time last night and all I have to say is WOW. This saw makes straight lines jealous.

Comment

heres the one i made

Click image for larger version

Name:	622bcc16906d2f6d854ecabd01ead2ac.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	6179

got the dial indicator at harbor freight for $8

Comment

Mike how the heck do you keep your saw table top so clean and void of scratches?

Comment

Originally posted by Larrysch View Post
                        Mike how the heck do you keep your saw table top so clean and void of scratches?

thats pretty funny actually

just shortly before taking those pictures i removed a bunch of surface rust that had acumalated on the top over the winter. (hadnt used my saw for about 4-5 months)

basically i took some squirt on all purpose cleaner and sprayed the top then went over it with a green scotch brite pad. then i wiped it clean with paper towels and sprayed more cleaner and wiped it again several times til the paper towels came off clean. then i took johnsons furniture paste wax and went over everything to get a nice smooth surface

Comment

Just remember that the cut is in relation to the fence and blade. If you align the blade to the miter slot it doesn't mean you will have a straight cut. It's the distance of the front and back of the blade to the fence. If you use a miter slot jig, make sure it is aligned to the blade and to the fence. Also make sure the splitter is also aligned so it doesn't pinch the wood to one side or the other.
                          Good tips on making the jigs!

Comment

yes good point, you need to align both the blade and the fence to the miter slot

Comment

Working...
                            X