X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3660 splitter thicker tan blade.

I have recently purchased the ts3660 table saw and love it. After puting it together I tested it out only to find that my stock wouldn't go past the splitter on the blade guard assembly. I measured the blade thickness at 1.75mm or(0.069 in) and the splitter was 2.15mm or(0.085 in). Obviously the splitter thickness must be less than the blade thickness for the stock to pass through. I mentiond this to ridgid and they sent me a brand new guard assembly and the splitter is the same thickness as the original one I received with the saw.
    Can anyone please tell me if they have had the same issue arise and/or what is the thickness of the blade and splitter that came with your saw. It would be handy to know this so I can determine whether they sent me a a blade with too thin a kerf or whether it is the splitter that is too thick. I like the thin blade so I am hoping that there is a splitter out there with a thickness under 1.75mm or(0.069 in). Any help is much appreciated.

Re: TS3660 splitter thicker tan blade.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23422

Comment

I just realized that Kirkroy had started a thread in the past regarding this issue. He recieved a thickerblade and that solved his problems so I'll probably go the same route. I do like the thinner bade but there was mention in one of the posts that a 10" blade with a kerf of 1.75mm or (.0069 in) is too thin. Is it unsafe? perhaps too much flex? I do like the thin blade but safety is priority #1. I don't have enough experience to know the best or safest route to go. Thanks for any help!
      ronan.

Comment

The replacement blade actually cut nicer than I expected. I put it on over the weekend to cut down a router table top (to put on the 3660) that already had an aluminum track on it. The edges of the melamine coated composite table top were pretty good...

Kirk

Comment

Most thin kerf blades are around 0.094" (+/- a little). A blade that's 0.069" would be considered an "ultra thin kerf" IMO. Using that blade with a wider splitter is definitely dangerous. Since the stock blades aren't that good anyway, you'd definitely be better off with another blade....there are lots of good blades from ~ $35 up. Give the saw a fighting chance to do it's best and buy a top quality blade. Maybe HD or Ridgid would send you a Ridgid Titanium blade if you ask...something like the R1050C or R1060C would be a nice choice IMHO. (It won't hurt to play the "safety/liability" card! ...it is their error.) If they won't go for it, spend the money on a nice Infinity, Forrest, Ridge Carbide, or Freud Industrial blade.

Comment

I too have a new 3660, and had the same problem with the splitter. It measured the same as yours. I finally broke down and bought a Forrest WWII 40 tooth blade, with the 1/8" (.125) kerf. The splitter problem is solved, and I have what is probably the best blade on the market. If you decide to buy one, be cautioned that they sell the same blade with a thin (3/32") kerf, which is .0937, and too close to the splitter thickness for me.
            "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

Originally posted by Laflaone View Post
              I too have a new 3660, and had the same problem with the splitter. It measured the same as yours. I finally broke down and bought a Forrest WWII 40 tooth blade, with the 1/8" (.125) kerf. The splitter problem is solved, and I have what is probably the best blade on the market. If you decide to buy one, be cautioned that they sell the same blade with a thin (3/32") kerf, which is .0937, and too close to the splitter thickness for me.
              The Ridgid splitter was actually made to accommodate a blade with a kerf of ~ 0.094" so a "normal" TK should be fine. Keep in mind that the leading edge of the splitter tapers to allow for some wiggle room.

Comment

Thanks for everyones input. I will go to home depot to get a replacement blade with a larger kerf. They already told me that they would replace it. I plan to use it as a backup blade and to spend some money on a good quality blade. I appreciate the quick replies and the tips on some quality blades for me to look for.

Comment

Working...
                X