Did U upgrade from Cont TS to 4511?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did U upgrade from Cont TS to 4511?

For those of you whom have upgraded to the 4511 from a contractor saw, can you post your impressions of your improvements with this saw over your old contractor saw?

Seeing as how it's the same H. pwr of the 3660 I'm wondering if your finding much of a difference.

I bought the 3660 on clearance - 10% + = $360. I'm still torn as to whether the 200.00 increase I should exchange for the 4511.

I do have interest in a 3+ Hpwr cabinet someday in the very very distant future. So I'm thinking the 3660 should be fine for several years. With the same H pwr as the 4511 Im leaning to think the 4511 is just not that necessary.

still torn... thanks

Re: Did U upgrade from Cont TS to 4511?

This recent thread might answer some of your questions.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Joe
      Everyone mentions two or three things and while they are nice are they really important?

First and foremost cabinet mounted trunnions!!!!!!!!

Let us look at this for a moment. Yes they usually are easier to adjust. How often do you need to adjust them? Once unless you drop your machine out a window. Which has the better chance of changing? Table mounted trunnions virtually become one piece with the table so they should never move. Cabinet mounted trunions are mounted to a sheet metal cabinet as is the table so the connection between the table and trunnions is sheetmetal. We all know that can be moved fairly easily.

Second Motor placement. Contractor saw hanging out the back, cabinet saw inside. Inside is a space saving. Also since the cabinet doesn't need an opening for the motor drive it can be better sealed for dust control. However most saws have other openings that allow dust to escape. Plus any blockage of dust flow is harder to detect and resolve when everything is enclosed. I have used both contractor and cabinet saws and you know what I still had to sweep up after I was done.

Third riving knife. Most excellent addition, and one mandated I believe by law on new saws. However 3650 does include a splitter and there are many after market companies that offer riving knife type accessories for the 3650.

Granite table. Won't rust that is for sure but neither will a well waxed cast iron table. Howeve granite will chip and scratch fairly easy and granite does stain (ask any owner of granite kitchen counter tops) So what is worst rust stains or oil or solvent stains from a container inadvertantly sat on the table? One thing with the granite top the new maglock jigs and accessories that are just now hitting the market won't work. Also should you ever need to drill or modify your table top for some reason which would you rather tackle modifying granite or cast iron?

Rip Capacity. Frankly I don't think it is wise to try a man handle a full sheet of ply onto any table saw. That is why they make panel saws, slidding table saws, guide saw systems and etc. The number of times you should have to rip wider than 25 inches should be very limited and if it isn't your killing yourself.

Up front controls. Excellent idea especially if you going to use a table mounted router. However is mounting a router table to granite table going to be a problem? I don't know but I know some designs require holes drilled into the existing cast iron table to mount that manufactures router table.

I guess the real question becomes what do you want? $200 extra bucks in your pocket or the latest and greatest? If you want the 4511 and settle for the 3650/3660 you will regret it. However if you realize a tablesaw is just a tablesaw a means for cutting wood and not of definition of your skill, prowness, wealth, status in life then perhaps the decision will become easier.

Hope this helps.
      Rev Ed

Comment

Originally posted by RevEd View Post
        Third riving knife. Most excellent addition, and one mandated I believe by law on new saws. However 3650 does include a splitter and there are many after market companies that offer riving knife type accessories for the 3650.
        There are? Can you provide details? The only one I've heard of is the BORK, but it's not currently available for the 3650/3660.

I'd be interested in installing one, if I could find one.

--Jeff

Comment

About 4 years ago I upgraded from a very fine GI 50-185 contractor saw to a Craftsman 22124 hybrid. Not quite the same as the 4511, but THE biggest difference was in the mass of the 22124 vs the 50-185...425# vs 300....> 40% more. The 22124 felt much more like a full cabinet saw than the contractor saw did. The R4511 weighs ~ 450#, so I'd be surprised if you didn't notice a significant difference in the mass and stability of the 4511 vs a contractor saw.

I also noted some power increase while ripping thick stock. The motor ratings were similar, so I'm not sure whether to attribute that to greater efficiency of the shorter drive belt, possibly better alignment, both of those things, or something else.

The current price of the R4511 is very attractive @ $600 IMO, and well worth the attributes it offers.

Comment

Working...
          X