Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andrew---please see my post on the "safety issue" on one of the other threads. It really isn't. It the defect was larger or on more of the arbor, it would be---But, it's certainly a quality problem.
    Dave

Comment

Dave in the one blade setup there is no issue but with the weight of the Freud se and an off ctr. cutter I think it is not as safe,and does cause vibration and a poor cut, etc.

As to the HD delta ts,thanks ,I thought of that, but the t2 fence is not as good as the ridgid and it has stamped wings. I hate stamped wings.
      I bought the sears/beis hybrid saw for $650 after tax and discounts($1028 reg. w. tx. way overpriced). Solid cab construction except for the plastic motor door,(no legs to twist),Beis commercial fence,cast iron wings,small outfeed extension, ( I did not mind the ridgid fence except for the plastic especially the handle),How much more could it have cost for a metal one?. I thought of the delta uni clone/rockler sale ,$975 better motor/trunion but the t2 fence again,which is the same" accufence" used on Harbor Freights cab saw and is a $150 part. Not rated well by wood mag and it has very light gauge and small size construction as to rail contact compared to the Beis.. The Grizzly 1023 is a better saw I think. (I can not complain about the commercial Beis.now)At 220v the 16a/1.75hp motor will be ok for my use and getting that better fence will make the saw ,I hope. It will be interesting as to how well that trunion design functions since it still uses motor weight for tension,but it is in a vertical plane with the same type of belt as the ts3650,and it is cast iron instead of the light weight zinc metal? on the ts3650.and mounted to the cab not the top. It has cast iron pulleys,easy guard removal, and 4" dust collection too. The Leitz 40th blade is supposed to be a good one. We shall see. It is built by Orion not TTI.
      The ts3650 is a good but not a great saw and has a lot of poor quality control issues with a noexistent service location in my area. I should have known when I first started up the saw and the fan was making a load noise I was in for trouble.

[ 12-12-2004, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Benedetto ]

Comment

Andrew----and just where is the chipper going to go? Do you think it could build enough cintrifical force to snap a 5/8" arbor? Since you didn't bother looking at my earlier post, I'll repeat it. First, I own one of the previous Emerson-made Craftsman saws, with the bad arbors. There was never a safety problem (and I cut a lot of, all be it, crumby dados). Second, I've been examining machine guarding, amoung other safety functions, for over 18 years and if this was actually a safety issue, I'd certainly say so.

I do, however agree with the rest of your comments on the 3650. I think there are enough factual problems with the saw, without claiming that there are safety issues that don't exist. I've said it before----it would be a good saw at $400, but when you (as has been written here) have to do your own fix to repair weak legs, fix motor bolt problems (which some people have reported before)---not even be able to buy a dado insert (no---I don't believe a saw should require you to make one), no pre-made zero-clearance inserts (which were available for the 3612), etc.

I would say that Ridgid "may" fix this problem, but when they send out a replacement arbor with the exact same problem, you have to wonder how serious they're taking it.
        Dave

Comment

Well I had a sears cir late 1970's saw that had the snap ring break holding the arbor assembly which caused the blade/arbor to move out of the bearing. The guard,blade were destroyed. It was not not an experience I would want to repeat. I was not using a wobble dado at that moment but had in the past. I think that over stressed the ring holding the arbor.
          Vibration is a safety issue and I am sure this was a rare event,I do not even know if the same design is on the 3650. I agree ,I do not think it would cause the arbor to snap ,but I want a saw that does not have this defect on a critical part,I do not want to fix another problem myself(no service ctr. here),who knows when and if they will retool and it became the final problem of quality control issues for me,and I decided to return the saw. It did cut very well with using a regular (not stock) blade.

Comment

Andrew----interesting---I know exactly which part you're talking about (from my experience disassembling the saw). There certainly was a vibration problem with the saws, but of course, part of my original interest in this board was that Emerson kept making improvements, which were easy enough to implement on the old Craftsman saws.

Frankly, I'll never understand why Ridgid stopped making what had by the time they took over, had been the top-rated 3612---which by then, had most every minor problem worked out of it---now, it seems they're back to, maybe not square one--but at least square two.
            Dave

Comment

I also owe the 3650 and read all the post about the arbor problems and dado problems, being very mechanically incline I went to the saw did every measurement that could be done -results were no problem- then i put the stacked dado's on and started from the smallest to the widest dado- no problem, now if there was a problem i would have found it considering the fact that i also own a unisaw x5 and use the 3650 more often then the delta( i am not saying that the delta has a problem)it is definetly a QC problem that let these bad arbors get past them and i hope that for all you 3650 owners that have these problems I hope Ridgid takes care of the problem in a timely manner.

Happy Holidays to all
              Keith Pettersen
              Just my opinion

Comment

I was encouraged by Brandman's post so I called my local repair center and explained my problem. I even faxed them a drawing of the arbor.

Two days later they called me back to say that they had talked to several people at Ridgid, and they had all said that it was a design from Emerson and that there was no plan to fix the problem. My repair center was very apologetic, but said that there was nothing more that they could do for me, and were sorry about the problem.

Comment

Campaholic, I'm not sure who you spoke with at RIDGID, but I posted in the "Ask the Woodworking Experts" Forum (the big recent post, with 88 replies) that I had spoken with the directors of sales, customer service and product development at RIDGID/OWT, and they definitely have plans to fix this issue.

I even included their names and phone number in that post, should you be so inclined. I'd encourage several of our forum members to contact these people themselves.

Steve,

Thank you again for the information. Customers like you are very valuable to us, and we look forward to hearing more from you in the future. For your reference, you were speaking with the following:

Kevin Cameron - Director of Sales, Professional Power Tools
                  Steve Steadings - Director of Product Development
                  Ernie Swords - Director of Customer Service

Thank you again, and we appreciate your continued support.

Kevin Cameron
                  Director of Sales, TTI - Professional Power Tools
                  864-332-5678
                  Hope this helps.
                  Steve
                  There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Thanks

I will try to call them in the morning. I feel that the more people they hear from the better. One of my main reasons for getting this saw was to do nice dados.

Roger

Comment

I just spoke with kevin Cameron( 20 minutes worth)He assured me that the arbor problem is being taken care of and will be posted on the 20 of this month, also said the arbors will be shipped to all 3650 owners free of all charges

Keith Pettersen
                      Just my opinion

Comment

Daveferg

Why do you have to be so negative
                        Just my opinion

Comment

With all the negative press that they are/have been getting on this issue; as well as our concerns sent to the shop mgr. at Fine Woodworking; as well as numerous promises made by the director of sales and customer service; as well as a potential (potential) safety issue...and on and on and on...I'm quite confident that they will fix this. I don't think they want to find out what we will do next if they don't.

Comment

I totally agree with you Strong, I do believe that they will fix the problem but i do not think that a person who does not even own the tool should voice a comment about the tool especially to those of us out here who paid good money for the tool,we can read the reviews and choose for our selves and do not need a critic like we all know who he is. Just my opionon whether it counts or not- I don't know
                            Keith
                            Just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by keith911:
                              Daveferg

Why do you have to be so negative
                              Hey Keith---why don't you read what is said before you go flapping your jaws about someone. Negative---heck, I've been providing various people who actually know how to read, with facts on this problem dating back to the Emerson I OWN!! Funny though, you seem to be the only one who Ridgid has chosen to whisper in his ear. We just had a post on another thread about one of Ridgid's factory service centers saying they wouldn't replace the arbor.

Negative I spent three posts on this thread trying to convince Andrew it WAS NOT a safety issue. You want to start something, fine, but for now, I'll just chalk it up to your not wanting to read all my comments on this----there are some around here who might say I've been helpful.
                              Dave

Comment

dave did i put you down at all?? i just asked a question, so what ever dave, i just asked you a question.
                                Just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                                X