No announcement yet.

TS3650 arbor problem with dado sets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith---as I tried to get through to you, I've been anything but negative. I have no interest in this issue other than I've been through it and have replaced my arbor, so I just MIGHT have something to contribute. And your only comment to me is I'm negative. Well, unlike you, I'm not running around sucking up to Ridgid----I'm starting very honest opinions, based on facts.
    Dave

Comment

Sucking up to ridgid!!!!!! what the hell does that mean, they were very polite to me as i was to them, I would not call that sucking up. I was on the level with them and they were to me(honest i think or at least hope they were).
      Just my opinion

Comment

Anybody hear any new information on the Cameron statement i.e. the fix released on the 20th? I'm hoping I don't have to return my 6 week-old TS3650. Other than this ( what I consider a serious problem ), I really like the saw.

Thanks,

Chuck

Comment

Hey Chuck I have not heard any more except what I posted about the fix and they promised it will be posted on the site on the 20th-Monday, hopefully we will not have to cross our fingers and Kevin Cameron will follow thru on what he said, as far as retuning the saw I do not think that will be nessecary yet, lets wait to see what happens monday,by-the way how do you like your saw???

Happy holidays
          Keith
          Just my opinion

Comment

Sorry chuck i see you really like your saw
            Just my opinion

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Keith.
              To be honest, until I dadoes with the saw, I was extremely pleased with it's performance. Before my purchase, I read all the posts about the leg flex et al. I wasn't too concerned as I figured I could add a side brace if necessary, and at the sub $500 price that I paid, I knew it would not be a Unisaw or PM66. I've purchased middle of the road and high end tools, and have found that most all benefit from some end-user tweaking. ( I've almost always gotten burnt on cheap, no-name tools! ) I checked out a few saws at different HD's and most were horribly set up, and the fence worked like crap. Then at one store, somebody took the time to set it up right, and I was amazed at the difference. Needless to say I took my time with setup and was very happy with the results. The leg flex on my saw was no where near as bad as reported.The fence movement was smooth and alignment was repeatable. Fence to blade and slot alignment is about 0.005. Arbor runout was minimal. The saw is very smooth, I've actually passed the nickel test while turning on the saw AND running a board through! ( Forrest blade ). Anyways thats why its a little disheartening to discover this problem, as I thought this saw was the rare all-around no-brainer. The groove in my arbor is worse than others, around 0.580 and quite wide so the problem is severe and the results are wuite noticable. I sure hope Ridgid comes out with a decent fix, not just epoxy ( read new arbor ). Let me know if you hear anything.

Chuck

Comment

sorry to hear about the arbor Chuck .58 is to say alittle excessive, a i kinda thought that the leg flex was only a display problem although others have complained about the leg flex, thankfully i do not have a problem with mine as you do with yours, mine did not pass the nickle test untill i installed the link belt, made a great difference in the saws performance, seems to have a little more power also, but then again it might be psychological-know what i mean and at 26.00 dollors i think the belt was worth it, i just bought the kreg mitre gauge for the saw but have not used it yet but i will keep you posted on it- anyhow lets wait to see what happens monday with the posting of the arber problem, by the way did you e-mail Ernie Swords???

Good luck and happy holidays to ya
                Keith
                Just my opinion

Comment

Please help me fellow chatters, or is all that doesn't matter is the chatter. I have been researching this 3650 for several months and now I find that there appears to be a problem. Do I buy it or don't I, that is the question. I enjoy making home projects and need something larger that a 7 inch saw. How many of these saws have been sold and what is the percentage of failed or returned saws? I would be making this purchase in the next week. Who was able to purchase the 3650 for less than $547, which is what HD wants today here in SoCal.
                  Happy Trails
                  Happy Trails

Comment

I saw the leg flex problem on the first display model---it was real enough---yet another problem Emerson once solved, only to be revisited by current Ridgid. However, later units appear to have reduced the problem, at least enough so the saw didn't feel unstable (as it did with the one I checked out).
                    Dave

Comment

As I had said before, I've replaced the arbor assembly on my saw, based on original instructions I got from another owner. So, I went looking for your typical parts diagram and it's not to be found on any of Ridgid's sites that I can find. Parts doesn't even list the 3650 and the owners' manual doesn't have the parts diagrams in it either.

Anyway, if Ridgid does send out the arbors and if the instructions aren't clear, maybe someone could e-mail a diagram to me to look at, because the way I did it was relatively easy. And, the plus side---I didn't have any extra parts left after re-assembly.
                      Dave

Comment

Papa Curtis----While this arbor problem is a hit or miss kind of thing, I would say how Ridgid ultimately responds to and handles the problem is what I'd be looking at.

IMHO, I don't thing the saw is worth $550---if you got a deal at around $400----fine. In the meantime, I'd also suggest you look at alternatives such as Grizzly, Bridgewood, General. Delta and Jet are also good saws, but tend to take you into the $800-1000 price range pretty easily. Just compare apples and apples, etc.
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by papa curtis:
                          I have been researching this 3650 for several months and now I find that there appears to be a problem. Do I buy it or don't I, that is the question.
                          Happy Trails
                          HI Papa Curtis - There are so many other good choices right now in this price range, I'd definitely be investigating others. Grizzly, GI, Bridgewood, the new Delta 36-680, the new Sears 22114....

Comment

thats a major accomplishment dave----- no parts left over wish that would happen to me
                            Just my opinion

Comment

Keith, Who's Ernie Swords? Oh and one more question, How did you upgrade to the link belt? My pulleys are not standard v-belts, they are multi-grooved flat belts more like an automotive serpentine belt. Did you change your pulleys also?

Hey Dave,

If we do get new arbors, I'd love to get any tips on you as far as replacement methods. My current arbor has excellent runout of about 0.001. I sure would hate to mess that up.

Papa Curtis, I really like this saw ( except for the arbor problem ) I paid 547 less 10percent during a friend and family sale , bringing it down to 492 . My suggestion is to wait a bit if you like the saw, 1st to see how ridgid reacts to this within the next week or so, and also to wait for a sale. If I were you, I'd bring a set of calipers to the store, open the bos and check the arbor right there before lugging it home. That problem was the only legitimate problem that I experienced. I have to say, I own a Grizzly band saw and its a nice machine, so maybe the Griz would be an alternative.

Good luck!

CHUCK

good luck!

Comment

I think he is product development and yes to the pulleys sorry he is director of c.s.

[ 12-19-2004, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: keith911 ]
                                Just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                                X