No announcement yet.

TS3650 arbor problem with dado sets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Keith, Papa Curtis and others. In response to a couple of recent questions, here are the guys at OWT/RIDGID that we are communicating with:

Kevin Cameron - Director of Sales, Professional Power Tools

Steve Steadings - Director of Product Development

Ernie Swords - Director of Customer Service

Kevin's number is 864-332-5678.

I, like all of you, am anxious for the arbor issue to be resolved, and feel that it is going to be. Obviously, they have to design, prototype, tool up, produce and test a new arbor before shipping, but I feel that these guys are going to get it done, and hopefully begin to turn around the customer service issues that they have.

I love my new 3650, and know that there are other good ones out there as well. I have it adjusted and "tuned" very well, and it gives me very precise results. Don't get me wrong; the saw does have idiosyncrasies. When I adjust my fence with a dial gauge to be parallel with the miter slot, I have to allow for the slight outward flex that takes place on the fence when it is clamped down.

The real test of this saw will be the test of time. Will the settings remain true and square day in and day out? I am only a weekend woodworker, but I still want a saw that can maintain its settings over time. Factors like vibration and temperature will affect these settings. I am hoping the saw stands up to these things.

As to the question of leg flex, Chuck, there have been some old posts on here with suggestions on how to make the legs "stiffer" using extra washers. I did this, and my 3650 is rock solid. Should a user need to do this? No. Did my TS3650 require it? I'll never know, as I assembled it with the extra washers the first time I built it. The floor models at HD did flex, and I could not be sure whether it was inherent in the design, or simply a case of hasty in-store setup, as is usually the case at Home Depot. If anyone wants specific info or the leg reinforecment technique, do a search or email me.

Steve
    There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

well today came and just about went and no post from Ridgid about the arber fix, so i got on the horn with them again and was told that the problem is in the hands of there engineers and the post will be out soon but no date
      Just my opinion

Comment

Would one make the assumption that if they fix the arbour problem, would you be able to use the SD series of dado ? I have been looking into this saw and do not want to make a purchase unless i was able to use a GOOD dado cutter !!

Comment

I'm not a machinest, but have seen plenty of machine shops-----if this is a hit or miss problem, there's one of two things---either they had two sources/shops making the arbor threads or at one source, someone wasn't watching what some CNC machine was making-----so why do they need an engineering fix???? If there's a mix----some were obviously made right, so all they have to do is make some more and CHECK THEM.
          Dave

Comment

I am very disappointed that Ridgid didn't do anything today. I would have hoped that they had at least come out with an explaination as to why they are not ready to replace the arbors.

My little brother is a machinist. I'm taking the arbor to him when I go home for Christmas. He said he'd make one for me.

Comment

me too sgt
              Just my opinion

Comment

Just got an e-mail from John White (Fine Woodworking Mag.) regarding the arbor problem. He has been working with Rigid engineering. Sounds like they're getting...somewhere I guess?

"Just got this response back from Ridgid. I've asked them for details of
                how to arrange for getting the parts or the repair done, but it seems like they will be willing to correct the problem."

"Unfortunately, some TS3650 arbor assemblies have incomplete threads which may cause problems when using a stacked dado. If a customer has such a saw, correct arbor assemblies are available from RIDGID® at no charge. A customer can elect to replace this assembly on his own or take it to an authorized service center for free replacement."

If I hear more I will let you know.

John White

Comment

Whats Up Fellas

Was wondering what you guys think. I bought the Ts3650 about 3 weeks ago. It wasnt until a week after I bought it that I discovered the wonderful arbor problem. Ive set the saw up and havent even used it yet. Im debating returning the saw and going and buying the grizzly or possibly new craftsman. What do you guys think for 603 bucks I dont feel like fixing a damn thing and if I have to bring it to be fixed I mine as well get my money back while Im there. So what do you think I should do? I feel that the dado operation is an important one and on a new saw should be flawless! Maybe Im just a little frustrated here but Ive called every number and person that has been posted here as a contact and to no avail have I recieved any positive response other than the fine woodworking writer and its not even his company. Rigid is taking a huge step down in my eyes. anyway enough complaining.

Merry Christmas everyone
                  Later Centaur76

Comment

Hi Centaur76 - Here's more reading on the arbor issue in case you're interested:
                    http://www.ridgidforum.com/cgi-bin/u...7;t=000546;p=1

Comment

I am very happy that I was able to buy a cab. saw at sears with a Beis commercial fence for $600 before tax(combining sales and CC discount). Got best rating from woorkbench mag and I can now do dados , more hp 1 3/4, true cab. mounted trunion,throatplates that are the same as a unisaw, no legs to twist,real dust control, top quality blade,extension table board,etc. As the mag said at the price $950 list, you would need to spend $1000 more to buy a full cab saw and all you really get is more durability and 3hp. For a home shop I doubt it would matter. Orion makes the saw and I have had excellent CS in my questions and their quick responses. No TTI to deal with!!!!!! The down side is that I have a $650 credit at HD b/c it was too long to return for a refund.
                      If I were you I would pack that up as fast as I can and get your money back. I can not believe how stupid I was in all the fixes I did and did not look at that arbor sooner. I thought the cuts on the cheap blade set I had caused it. I really should have gotten a refund not store credit but it was hard enough getting that.
                      I never ever got a call back after being told numerous times I would. Do a search and you can read previous posts. I am mad at the time I wasted playing around with the: motor,mounts,hardware,stand,blade warp(they did send me a new one) and the lack of consern on TTI part to fix problems except to say to bring it to a service center that would be 6 hrs. driving to and fro each time, are they really serious?(I live in the LA area not exactly remote) Great lifetime warranty. This is a poorly run corp. and I am stuck with several other tools but at least they are the grey ones. I was a supporter but not anymore. The word is out look at woodnet for example, I think you will see an end to this model with the new sears design and cost, and they probably will want to avoid retooling costs and hope you all forget about it. Oh,that post on this site which was going to be listed on their fix where is it? I would not count on anything soon based on my past experience.

Comment

bump for lack of update from ridgid.

Comment

Andrew---have to say a post extolling a Craftsman over Ridgid is REALLY a smack in the kisser to Ridgid. Glad you like the new saw---even Sears can see the errors of previous ways.

I would agree it would be a smart move to let the 3650 die. Just MHO, but why they ever replaced the 3612 is beyond me. There was a proven standard which had done nothing but get better over the years. Heck, it had even gotten great magazine reviews---yet, they pull it in favor or a tool plagued with problems and lack of QC.
                          Dave

Comment

I'm afraid I might just go the same route Andrew did. I decided not to have my brother make a new arbor for me. Instead, I think I'm going to sell my saw and upgrade to a cabinet saw. This has already been a very big put off for me buying any more Ridgid tools. I wanted to buy their Sliding Compound miter saw but because of the knuckle dragging going on here, I ended up buying a DW708.

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
                              As I had said before, I've replaced the arbor assembly on my saw, based on original instructions I got from another owner. So, I went looking for your typical parts diagram and it's not to be found on any of Ridgid's sites that I can find. Parts doesn't even list the 3650 and the owners' manual doesn't have the parts diagrams in it either.

Anyway, if Ridgid does send out the arbors and if the instructions aren't clear, maybe someone could e-mail a diagram to me to look at, because the way I did it was relatively easy. And, the plus side---I didn't have any extra parts left after re-assembly.

Comment

Screwed up on my first attempt to reply - You can download a pdf file of the "Repair Sheet" by going to http://www.ordertree.com/ipllist.asp...=Power%20Tools and selecting TS3650 from the list.

Originally posted by daveferg:
                                As I had said before, I've replaced the arbor assembly on my saw, based on original instructions I got from another owner. So, I went looking for your typical parts diagram and it's not to be found on any of Ridgid's sites that I can find. Parts doesn't even list the 3650 and the owners' manual doesn't have the parts diagrams in it either.

Anyway, if Ridgid does send out the arbors and if the instructions aren't clear, maybe someone could e-mail a diagram to me to look at, because the way I did it was relatively easy. And, the plus side---I didn't have any extra parts left after re-assembly.

Comment

Working...
                                X