No announcement yet.

Dust Collection for Weekend Warrior?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got ya Dave. I plan on doing that sometime in the future. Right now I am doing a machine to machine set up with 3' to the seperater and 10' to the machine. When I pipe my shop I will be doing so with 6" and use short 4" flex to the DC ports on the machine. Since my shop space is real tight, everything is mobile. But I will pipe the TS with a gate, and have a seperate hook up for the other tools with a gate. 6" is the way to go though. Iy really increases the air flow.
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Dave,

Glad you mentioned the Torit name. School I've been working on the last couple weeks has a Torit system outside. Since the school was closed for spring vacation, no one but us construction workers there. Was Very temping to try and stuff it in the back of my truck!

Seriously though, I've been looking into the Torit system. I'm trying to get a handle on the the cost of the 20-3 model.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Nice machine, Woody. Delta Air Systems sells 20-3 for $2,833.68 (don't ask me where that funky number comes from, I would at least ask them to knock off the 68 cents ). I'm not up on Torit pricing to know if that's a great price or not... They are at http://www.hvacdistribution.com/ , do a search on the name Torit.

You know that's a 3-phase machine, right?

Dave

Comment

CRAP no Dave, I didn't know that. The site I looked at didn't specify that the 3 ment 3-phase. I assumed it ment 3hp! I guess I should have known since they are an industrial machine. Maybe than make one with a single phase motor for me.

I figured it would run between 2500 and 3000. I'll have to make some calls Donaldson Torit Co. and see about that, and where the nearest dealer is.

Thanks for the info Dave, as always, you have the answers
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

The -3 does stand for 3 horsepower, there's also a -5. I think all Torit's machines are 3-phase, it's the industry standard.

Two suggestions. One is to see if they use a NEMA frame on the motors that is available in single phase. Then you'd just need a motor swap, and you may be able to get the machine without a motor. The single phase motor will be more expensive.

The other idea would be to get a phase converter of one sort of another. I've been told there are some that are getting pretty inexpensive, down in the two or three hundred range.

Dave

Comment

Woody - Another thought would be if you have free space in your electrical panel you could get an electrician to add a three phase outlet for you. The thing is that you need room for two breakers in the panel, not just a single.
              Bill

Comment

Bill, that's not how it works. Three phase power has to be supplied to the service entrance. In the case of residences, it essentially never is.

A friend lives on a small horse ranch. There is a three-phase feed running right down his road. The power company would be happy to connect the three-phase to his shop, for a mere $14,000 one-time charge.

I think you may be thinking of a double-pole breaker, which is used residentially for 220v single-phase.

Dave

Comment

Dave, does that $14,000 include the step down transformer that he'll most likely need? Man, those things are EXPENSIVE!

Comment

Dave, OOPS! Must have been tripping an internal breaker on that one.
                    Bill

Comment

Mike, if I recall correctly that was turn-key, all he would have needed was the panel. I know another gentleman who got a bid of about $27,000 for the same type of project, as he was a bit farther from a suitable source.

All in all, phase converters are a fair bit cheaper.

Dave

Comment

Curt,

I agree with the posters that use a shop vac for a lot of their dust collection.
                        Personally I put my planer (which makes the most mess) on a mobile platform so I can move it to a covered patio and plane there. This has been the single best thing I have done for dust collection.
                        The shop vac can handle the tablesaw and other tools rather well.

Regards,
                        Bruce

Comment

After a week of use, I'm unhappy with the dust collection from my table saw and miter saw.
                          Everything else in my shop gets great collection from the HF 2HP collector.
                          The table saw has a good amount of dust kicked up by the blade that the collector does not get. I would need a hood of some sort covering the blade much like a blade guard to collect it all. All of the saw dust under the table is collected.
                          The Miter saw is a complete waste of time. It's a HF, and there dust port does not collect anything. It has served it's purpose, but it's time to move on. I'm getting a new saw this weekend.
                          Maybe the Ridgid MS1290 if it's in stock at the local HD.
                          Rob Johnson
                          Orange Ca.
                          Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Originally posted by Curt:
                            How important is DC for the average Joe?

Despite urgent deadlines, I stil get a max of about 4 half days to make chips and dust. Is DC of real health importance - as opposed to visual?

TIA, Curt
                            Curt I like to think its very important.
                            Andy B.

Comment

Originally posted by Backyard Woodworker

The table saw has a good amount of dust kicked up by the blade that the collector does not get. ... All of the saw dust under the table is collected.
                              Perhaps you have a blade/fence alignment problem. I didn't think I did, but when I did a careful alignment on my saw, 90% (not 100%) of the sawdust on the top was gone. It appears that most of the top-dust comes from the back of the blade cutting or at least slightly touching the kerf (bad).

Comment

The Miter saw is a complete waste of time. It's a HF, and there dust port does not collect anything.
                                Most miter saw ports don't catch nearly everything. I have a Ridgid 12" CMS hooked up to a shop vac. Same thing happens. The vac get's most, but there is always "left overs". My suggestion would be to form a hood behind the unit (there are many available for miter saws) that hooks to the 4" dust port. You'll see the dust greatly reduced as well as an airflow improvement to the collector.

Comment

Working...
                                X