No announcement yet.

Dust Collection for Weekend Warrior?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dust from the Table Saw is kicked up by the back of the blade. It wouldn't suprise me if something was out of alignment. I started checking the distance from blade to fence and was finding that my fence is not very accurate. Guess a tune-up would help matters.
    I haven't seen a hood for a Miter Saw, but sure will look for one. Right now I would guess the DC is catching about 50% from this saw.
    Thanks,
    Rob Johnson
    Orange,Ca.
    Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

I agree entirely with Charlie on the tablesaw rooster-tailing dust. In the perfect setup, the rising teeth would not even touch, they would just ride in the kerf. The world isn't perfect, but it can be pretty close. I have a blade guard with dust collection built in, and don't even hook it to the DC.

Dave

Comment

Admittedly, I did not read all the posts before I replied. My opinion: do everything possible to not breathe dust, even if you don't do woodworking often at all!!!

My simple solution when I started wood working was to get a mask. The cheap white ones didn't help me at all since they don't seal well on the sides. I purchased a $30 mask with the rubber face and 2 canisters on either side at Home Depot. It is a pain to work with at first but well worth wearing it because there is nothing more important than your health. Since then, I have upgraded and now have DC and air filtration. I still sometimes wear the mask for certain jobs!

Comment

Desided to hook up DC to my Dewalt random orbit sander this weekend. What a difference!
          Where I'm usually covered with a fine dust after using it even with the dust bag attached, this time there was nothing.
          I used the clear 2 1/2" hose from Rockler that has some give to it so the sander would not be impossible to use. Worked Great!!!
          Hooked it up to my Bisquit planer also. Collected everything.
          Oh yea...found one of the problems with my DC from the table saw and miter saw. Seems a shop rag got sucked into the inlet!!!! Still sucked enough for the smaller tools.
          Rob Johnson
          Orange Ca.

[ 04-21-2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]

Comment

Made a pig tail to connect my portable belt sander to my DC. Works great.
            After using this thing for a few weeks, I wouldn't have it any other way. Less shop clean-up and my nose isn't full of saw dust after a days work-play.
            Looking into a two stage attachment now to catch the big chunks my floor sweep takes in.
            Rob Johnson
            Orange,Ca.

[ 04-27-2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]

Comment

Seems that the consensus is:

DC is very important.

DC for weekend warrior is probably prohibitively expensive as well as difficult to achieve.

Just bought a PC sander which has a dust port. So does the PC Bisquit cutter. I may try a hose hookup to my 13 year old Shop vac (makes more noise than the tools.) Regardless, if it isn't raining then I do almost all my work outside the garage.

I very much appreciate all the advice and commentary, as well as the links to the subject.

Thank you all very much,

Curt

Comment

Working...
              X