New Ridgid Drill Press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ridgid Drill Press

In one of the recent WW rags (mags) they were doing a review of Drill Presses. The Ridgid was not reviewed as A Dave Hazlewood of Ridgid said a new model would be introduced shortly. Only significant change mentioned was that press could be assembled with handles positioned to operate quill movement from either side of press. Putting the handles on the left would be cool for lefthanders (which I'm not). Jake, any other features you could enlighten us on.
    Dick

There are quite a few new features besides the Left/Right Hub. The stroke of the quill is now 3 3/4" so you can bore all the way through a 4x4 in one pass. The table has been redesigned with the woodworker in mind, with a large flat clamping edge on the perimeter of the table. The base is wider for added stablitiy, the motor is now TEFC and the belts are now poly-v like on the table saw to reduce vibration and increase power transfer.

The model number is DP1550 and you should start seeing it in the stores around the begining of next year.

Jake

Comment

Ooooh, a poly-v on a drillpress? Very cool. I had to invest some semi-serious coin in link belts for my Jet to get vibration down to a tolerable level.

As a left-handed person, I thought handles on right was made for us. Dominant hand holds the stock, that's the tough job.

Dave

Comment

Jake, has any change been made in the depth setting mechanism (ring type)? Personally, I like the ring type, but the reviewers said they slipped after 100 holes or something like that. Well, I don't know about most of you, but I don't find many occasions where I need to drill 100 consecutive holes.

Dave, just think of the money you could save if you had this new Ridgid Drill Press. No more of those expensive left-handed drill bits.

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Hergy ]
        Dick

Comment

Left-hand ones are cheaper, Dick. Most people think they're defective...

I tend to like ring stops too, because they are so quick to adjust, but slipping would be bad. I could easily drill a hundred or a lot more holes wasting out for mortises. A great compromise is found on the Delta 17-965, a post stop with a quick-release on the nut. The fatal error in execution on their machine is that the mounting for the post is flimsy. On at least the two that I've looked at directly, reasonably hard down pressure (like the amount that will eventually slip a ring stop) caused around 3/16" movement in the Delta's stop. Bad.

Dave

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hergy:
            Jake, has any change been made in the depth setting mechanism (ring type)? Personally, I like the ring type, but the reviewers said they slipped after 100 holes or something like that. Well, I don't know about most of you, but I don't find many occasions where I need to drill 100 consecutive holes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it will have a ring style depth stop, but I have not seen the problem the wood described, nor have I ever had a customer complaint.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Arbuckle:
              Ooooh, a poly-v on a drillpress? Very cool. I had to invest some semi-serious coin in link belts for my Jet to get vibration down to a tolerable level.

As a left-handed person, I thought handles on right was made for us. Dominant hand holds the stock, that's the tough job.

Dave
              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

Interesting point. Being a lefty, I find that I use my right had for heavy tasks and my left hand for things requiring finesse movements.

For drilling, I think I'd use the right hand to hold the stock stable and the left hand to gently ease the bit in. Now I don't have a press, <GRIN> so I'm theorizing here.

Comment

Bubba, it's probably just because that's what I've always used. But (now that it's just us left-handers here), we both know that we are a lot more adaptable, since we live in a wrong-handed world...

Dave
                Grinning, ducking and running...

Comment

Jake,
                  This may be asking too much, but can you be more specific about when we'll see the new drill press in the stores? I finally finished shopping around and was about to buy the DP1500, but it would seem to make sense to wait around (if not for too long!) for the new 1550. Will we see it before the end of the year? If not, how far into 2002 should I expect to wait?

Also, do you expect the retail price for the new model to be the same as the price for the current (DP1500) model?

Comment

You should see the DP1550 in stores in about the Jan-Feb timeframe and the retail price will remain at $299

Jake

Comment

Working...
                    X