X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 7¼" Saw Blade Do You Use When Cutting Sheet Goods

I've decided that its time I started using a better quality blade for cutting sheet goods down to size. In the past I've usually used whatever blade I happened to have mounted on my circular saw at the time. I usually have a construction quality blade mounted on the saw so the resulting cuts I get are not very clean to say the least. I don't do that kind of work on a daily basis so I'm willing to pay a little extra for a good long lasting blade as opposed to buying one that may be a little cheaper but maybe not have the ability to be sharpened again.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Re: What 7¼" Saw Blade Do You Use When Cutting Sheet Goods

I've been using 24tpi Dewalts (contractor pack at Lowe's)in mine (Porter Cable 15amp), As I usually rip it to a little larger dimension, I haven't been worrying about it too much, and the narrow kerf doesn't give too bad of a tear-out. However, they aren't good for much other than clock faces after they get dull.

I"ll be interested to see what you end up with.

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Dave I have pretty much done as you have and used whatever was mounted int eh saw. I usually cut oversize and trim to size on the TS so not really worried about the quality of the cut from the Circular Saw.

If I'm not cutting to a manageable size then its usually for some rough work (framing,etc.) and it does not matter anyway.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

My preference is the Freud Diablo D0740X blade. I have a DEWALT DW364K that I have dedicated to cutting sheet material using shop made guides and the Diablo is the blade I use. (I use the DeWalt saw as it is one of the only circ saws available that allows adjusting the shoe parallelism to the blade)

Tom

Comment

BD,

I've found my little 18-volt Ridgid cordless 6-1/2" to be excellent for cutting down those 4 x 8 panels to a more workable size. On my Ryobi BT3100, you simply do not attempt to push large sheet goods through it, but I'm sure that even with a much bigger table saw, I'd still prefer to use the circular saw for this kind of task.

I've found the Freud Diablo 24-tooth to be fairly decent. I do cut oversize, but even then the cut is pretty decent on regular plywood and MDF. Cutting with the grain is quite smooth, but I do get some tear-out when cutting cross-grain on Home Depot's veneer (probably on others too, but I haven't had the opportunity yet). The remedy for that was to use some of that blue painter's masking tape, and that seem to minimize the problem. I imagine that as the blade dulls, such tear-out will increase dramatically.

CWS

Comment

tomapple, where do you buy that blade? I can't locate it on the Freud website but did find it at Amazon. The general specs on it seem to mirror the Freud Avanti TK303 with the exception of the blades coating and price. If the Diablo has been discontinued by Freud and these two are basically the same I might give the Diable a try as the Avanti is listed at around $5 more.

Comment

Dave,

Home Depot carries them too (or they did...least I know I grabbed a couple in the store last summer)

Comment

I also use a Freud Diablo blade in my DEWALT saw. I get them at Home Depot. Built my two tier deck with it. Loved it.

Comment

Dave, checked a blade package I had picked up at HD...p/n they use is D0740R (same blade as the D0740X). I suspect the p/n difference may only be so they don't have to price match.

Comment

Dave - That 40T Freud will be a tough bargain to beat IMO. To get a better cut, you'll probably need to spring for a Forrest. You might also find some deals on a CMT or Tenryu.

Comment

Thanks for checking that tomapple. I have to go to HD anyway later this AM so I'll check it out. Funny thing is, I can't find a single thing at the Freud website about any Diablo blades. I know they were there at one time. Freud recently sold its line of blades, bits, etc so I wonder if the new owner has eliminated some product?

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                        Dave - That 40T Freud will be a tough bargain to beat IMO. To get a better cut, you'll probably need to spring for a Forrest. You might also find some deals on a CMT or Tenryu.
                        Thanks Scott, I was wondering where you were? The Forrest would definitely be light years ahead of what I'm using now but I don't think I want to upgrade to that level. A little to priceeeeee

Comment

Working...
                        X