Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5" air ducks guage

5" air ducks

I was on 4" and want to convert to 5" as my Delta dust collector has a 5" input.

The 5" diameter straight air duck at my DIY center are 30 Guage Is this tick enough?

Is it true that if I use 30Ga. and forget the trap closed while running the dust collector, the air ducks will collapes?

I am from Montreal Canada and I just can't find 26 ga. around here. They carry the black stove air ducks that is a thicker guage but they are 6", so they won't fit my system.

Any body made a system using 5" 30 Ga. for 1280 CFM (Delta 50-760)

Re: 5" air ducks guage

I got my answer
    30 Ga. is too thin. Final!

Must be 26 Ga. An even better option is a 26 Ga. spiral. This is especialy made for dust control
    This is available in Montreal area at 2.61$ per foot. sold in 5' and 10' length.
    www.spiromega.qc.ca

They have all sort of connectors specialy made for dust collection in all the sizes possible.

Comment

Check your local plumbing/ HVAC shop for a 5"x6" reducer. This is what I used on my system as 6" fittings are more available. As for performance my system works well. I have no way to compare my system to another.

Comment

I found in one of my books that running 6" pipe is too large for a "Garage size" dust collector.

Even if mine is a Delta 50-760 1200 CFM with a 5" intake. Using a reducer installed the wrong way to make it an enlarger is a bad idea.

The system just won't have the momentum; It needs a lot of power to move 6" of static mass of air for the length of pipe between the dust collector and the machine; resulting in loss of CFM. For example, try sipping a sand grain using a drinking straw: you will swallow the sand grain. Now try sipping a sand grain using a paper towel tube. It won't even move. Try with an even smaller straw (like what is used with WD-40 spray can): Air will choke at your mouth nothing will come in the tube.
        It is better of to run 5" the whole way with 5" flex 3 feet long with 5" to 4" reducer directly at the port of the machine.
        Having that in mind, I wanted to make the system with 5" instead of the easyly available 6" black stove pipes. 4" the whole way is too small.

As stated above in the thread, I found dust collector specialized pipes at cheap price in my area.

Comment

I found in one of my books that running 6" pipe is too large for a "Garage size" dust collector.

Even if mine is a Delta 50-760 1200 CFM with a 5" intake. Using a reducer installed the wrong way to make it an enlarger is a bad idea.

The system just won't have the momentum; It needs a lot of power to move 6" of static mass of air for the length of pipe between the dust collector and the machine; resulting in loss of CFM. For example, try sipping a sand grain using a drinking straw: you will swallow the sand grain. Now try sipping a sand grain using a paper towel tube. It won't even move. Try with an even smaller straw (like what is used with WD-40 spray can): Air will choke at your mouth nothing will come in the tube.
          It is better of to run 5" the whole way with 5" flex 3 feet long with 5" to 4" reducer directly at the port of the machine.
          Having that in mind, I wanted to make the system with 5" instead of the easyly available 6" black stove pipes. 4" the whole way is too small.

As stated above in the thread, I found dust collector specialized pipes at cheap price in my area.

Comment

Working...
          X