X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dado Insert Anybody???

Hello from the Great White North. I am also a newbie to these forums. I purchased my TS3660 from HD on March the 1st and I am thrilled with it so far. Took us (my friend Sally and I) a good 6.5 -7 hours to get it together, but I think we did pretty good. We only had one issue on assembly day, we couldn't find the 4 feet stiffeners and we thought we had been short shipped. We did find them this past weekend thanks to another TS3660 user's thread who said to look deep in the Styrofoam.

I have one more quick question. The assembly manual talks about a special table top insert for using dado blades. Anybody have any idea where I would purchase that insert. I need to be able make dados up to 3/4 of an inch. I already have an 8 inch set of blades.

Re: Dado Insert Anybody???

Here is a link to one I have bought for my 3650 and am not sure if it will fit your 3660.http://www.amazon.com/Leecraft-RG-1-...3287769&sr=8-1
    I have the leecraft and it is an excellent insert. I also have the white plastic type( I don't remember the name of the material) and do not like them because they tend to warp.
    Here is a method for making your own from Fine woodworking. I would suggest you go on their site. It costs $14.00 a year but is full of good articles and videos on woodworking.
    Attached Files

Comment

That RG-1 will fit. I have the 3660 too and just ordered 2 more from Amazon. Don't skimp with the cheep one that is offered, buy the Leecraft! It's a few more $$, ($24.95 I believe) but well worth it. Reviews on the others were poor talking about the insert not being flat and issues with the leveling screws.

Leecraft RG-1

Comment

Don't forget you can always make your own throat plates!! Start with 1/2" material (I have used plywood with good results) and make your pattern using the throat plate that came with the saw. I use tape (duck or painter's depending on how much I need) in place of the leveling screws to get that perfect flush fit. To make the initial cut, I use an end blade from the dado kit. Use a 2x4 and clamps to clamp down the blank for the initial cut. Or just attach the blades you want in the dado setup and pull them all the way down. Then clamp the board, turn on the motor, and slowly raise the dado up through the piece. It'll make a perfect Zero Clearance Insert (ZCI) throat plate for that dado setup.

I don't bother with the little tongue on the back of the throat plate. A good flush fit works fine. I usually skip the screw, even. I'm lazy.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

DIY Guy,

Good luck...I have been trying to order from Ridgid online. HD does not carry here and apparently they can't figure out how to order. My suggestions: 1) build your own - I made a 0 clearance plate out of oak that works reasonably well, or 2) if you are set on the "proper" piece, find out from Ridgid who the local parts/service provider is and go there.

Comment

As many times as these inserts (and ZCI) are asked for, you fellows should just make a stack of them and sell them at 5.00 E, to the new members..
            When they see how easy it is, they will be comfortable in making their own.
            Just a thought.
            Last edited by BCR; 03-21-2009, 02:41 AM. Reason: added notification (nothing else)

Comment

+1 for Leecraft from Amazon

Comment

I just had one ordered by HD. They were gonna ship it to my house. 4 weeks later I had to call and ask where it was. They said they would call me right back. Next day I called again and they said they would check and call me back. After the weekend was over I called again and this time they would for sure call me right back. True to their third promise they did and informed me that Ridgid doesn't ship to home addresses and re-ordered it to the store. In the meantime I researched ZT dado construction and kicked myself for buying the manufactured one. When it arrived I can see I am gonna hate making narrow dados with it. Will make my own from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP View Post
                  .....4 weeks later....
                  If you decide not to make your own..... Again, Amazon! I ordered on the 13th (late at night) and it was delivered today...(free standard shipping)

Comment

Originally posted by ACP View Post
                    I just had one ordered by HD. They were gonna ship it to my house. 4 weeks later I had to call and ask where it was. They said they would call me right back. Next day I called again and they said they would check and call me back. After the weekend was over I called again and this time they would for sure call me right back. True to their third promise they did and informed me that Ridgid doesn't ship to home addresses and re-ordered it to the store. In the meantime I researched ZT dado construction and kicked myself for buying the manufactured one. When it arrived I can see I am gonna hate making narrow dados with it. Will make my own from now on.
                    Ordering parts from HD is a waste of time. I ordered a dado insert from Gardner Inc., it was delivered in a few days.

Tel#s:
                    1 877-544-9253
                    1 877-545-4099
                    1 800-456-5691
                    1 800 848-8946

Some of those numbers work some are new numbers. They merged with another outfit and are changing phone numbers around. Those are the numbers I got but I forget which worked, have em on a slip of paper.
                    Gardner handles all of Ridgids parts. The first thing you will hear is "For Ridgid Parts and Accessory's press One" At that time you will be instructed to wait for a Rep.

Buck

Comment

gotta love the free shipping

Comment

I've made an insert for almost every size dado I have by using 3/8" MDF. A little tape makes up for any low spots
                        Deep Thoughts: If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Comment

i just recently bought a ts3660 as an upgrade from a ts2424. one of the frustrating things about the 2424 was the difficulty involved with making zci's, and the weakness of the plates after they were made. they were thin enough around the edges to allow them to flex.
                          the 3660 has 1/2" deep slot for the throat plate and i've found that 1/2 baltic birch ply is a perfect fit. i did not need leveling screws or tape to raise the plate. for a very small amount of money and effort you can make all of them you need for bevels, straight standard slot, and any or all dado wudths.
                          all i had to do after cutting them and pattern routing using the existing throat plate was to apply some johnson's paste wax and buff.
                          if you don't have a router you can easily cut the plate fairly close and sand to the line.

Comment

I ordered a couple of the Leecraft ZCIs from Amazon as described above, and was surprised to see that they were finished (differently) in something of a granite look. I thought some of you fancy people with your fancy granite saws might want to see them!

Oh...and a stupid question:

Despite the fact that these are "finished" on the bottom, I assume you can cut through them anywhere, right?

I planned on using one of them for Dadoing, and was surprised to see an "area already started" to cut through. I mean, I know the other areas of the inserts aren't imbedded with steel, but it would be more stupid to not ask! In the past I've always made my own and I figured it made sense to double-check!!

Comment

yes, you can cut anywhere.

the "already cut" area is to allow you to position this ZCI over a 10" blade (which even when lowered all the way down still sticks up into the ZCI) - but for dadoes this is not necessary as the dado blades are only 8" in diameter, and will not interfere with the ZCI.

Here are some homemade ones:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X