X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Cutting Depth With The Rigid TS3660

I'm new to the forum and forum's in general, not so much wood working.

I'm trying to cut through a 4x4 post for work bench legs. They measure about 3.5" and the specs on the Ridgid TS3660 say I can cut 3-3/8" depth with a 10" blade. How can I get that extra 1/8" so I don't have to make two cuts.

Can I put a 12" blade on this table saw and safely make the cuts?

Thanks for your insights.

Re: More Cutting Depth With The Rigid TS3660

Right tool for the right job springs to mind for me, I'm afraid.

If the saw is perfectly set up though, perhaps the double cut method will still yield good results.

Comment

You could probably find a 12" blade with a 5/8" arbor, but the downside potential is pretty serious to be messing with that. Better to make two passes IMO.

Comment

First off, Welcome!
        If it were me, I would not try installing a 12" blade on my 3660. That isn't safe in my book. Do you own one? I only ask because you mentioned you read the specs. If you do own it, raise the blade up as high as it can go (i'm not at home right now or I would try it) and measure it yourself. Otherwise, this might be a good excuse for you to purchase a Miter saw. I don't like cutting rough lumber with my TS anyway. Were you going to use the miter gauge to stabilize it? Cuz that's unsafe too.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks,

Sounds like two passes is the best way to go, and safest.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome,

I do have a 3660, just put it together. I'll raise the blade and measure to see what I get. Could be that the teeth do clear but not the 1/2" that is recommended. I've spent a lot on the garage remodel so far, but will definitely look at the next tool to be a miter saw.

As far as cutting goes, yes I'll use the miter gauge, maybe even rig up some sort of jig to go the length of the table leg (plus or minus 38") to keep everything straight, and cut slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildmacman View Post
              Thanks for the welcome,

I do have a 3660, just put it together. I'll raise the blade and measure to see what I get. Could be that the teeth do clear but not the 1/2" that is recommended. I've spent a lot on the garage remodel so far, but will definitely look at the next tool to be a miter saw.

As far as cutting goes, yes I'll use the miter gauge, maybe even rig up some sort of jig to go the length of the table leg (plus or minus 38") to keep everything straight, and cut slowly.
              I built a workbench using 4x4's. I cut as much as I could and finished it off with a hand saw, took 2 seconds and the cuts made on the TS guided the hand saw. I did build a miter extension. It helped a great deal, an extra 14-16 inches makes it much easier to hold the stock steady while cross cutting. A quick touch on my delta belt/disc sander dressed up the ends nice.

Buck

Comment

Originally posted by BuckB View Post
                I built a workbench using 4x4's. I cut as much as I could and finished it off with a hand saw, took 2 seconds and the cuts made on the TS guided the hand saw. I did build a miter extension. It helped a great deal, an extra 14-16 inches makes it much easier to hold the stock steady while cross cutting. A quick touch on my delta belt/disc sander dressed up the ends nice.

Buck

Thanks,

great fix. It'll even give my arm a workout.

Comment

Fun task putting that together huh? My wife says that I have a sickness because I enjoy it. Not sure if you’re looking to add anything to the table, but with the help of this forum and Saw Mill Creek.org (another good forum) I built my out feed table. Here is a link to a gentleman on this forum that helped give me ideas. I built my table very similar to his.
                  You’ll like that Ridgid TS!
                  Again, glad to have you aboard

http://home.comcast.net/~sparc/woodworking.htm

Hope you don't mind me posting the link Bob!

Comment

Originally posted by Altima 3.5 View Post
                    Fun task putting that together huh? My wife says that I have a sickness because I enjoy it. Not sure if you’re looking to add anything to the table, but with the help of this forum and Saw Mill Creek.org (another good forum) I built my out feed table. Here is a link to a gentleman on this forum that helped give me ideas. I built my table very similar to his.
                    You’ll like that Ridgid TS!
                    Again, glad to have you aboard

http://home.comcast.net/~sparc/woodworking.htm

Hope you don't mind me posting the link Bob!
                    It wasn't to bad. My best friend helped, not sure if I could have lifted it myself without some serious grunting. Most women just don't get it, some do, but those are few and far between.

I am looking to add some extensions to the table. I saved some doors to try and use. should be interesting. Anyway, hope Bob didn't get mad. He's got some great ideas. I'll also check out Saw Mill Creek.org

Thanks a bundle...

Comment

Nope, that's quite alright. There are two threads on here that you should look at also.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7542

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7585

And there are even more with good ideas on customizing your saw and improving its utility.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X