X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Metal On Ridgid TS3660

Can I cut metal using the proper blade on the Ridgid TS3660 table saw?

Thanks...

Re: Cutting Metal On Ridgid TS3660

Originally posted by Wildmacman View Post
    Can I cut metal using the proper blade on the Ridgid TS3660 table saw?

Thanks...
    Don't know about a TS. I don't see why not. A friend of mine cuts aluminum extrusions with a circular saw. I told him how Freud makes saw blades for cutting soft metals, said he did not know that. He told his boss who ordered some of them. He claims they cut much better than the fine tooth carbide blades he was using.
    One caveat tho, when he cuts, every one makes like Elvis. They leave the building. The noise is horrendous.

Buck

Comment

There is a tool for every job and a job for every tool...

The table saw is not designed for cutting metal and I would not recommend cutting any metal with it (including aluminum)

Comment

[quote=BuckB;216600]Don't know about a TS. I don't see why not. A friend of mine cuts aluminum extrusions with a circular saw. I told him how Freud makes saw blades for cutting soft metals, said he did not know that. He told his boss who ordered some of them. He claims they cut much better than the fine tooth carbide blades he was using.
        One caveat tho, when he cuts, every one makes like Elvis. They leave the building. The noise is horrendous.

Buck[/quote

Now that you mentioned it, a long time ago I cut aluminum extrusions for skylights on a radial arm saw, just wasn't sure about a table saw.

Also sounds like some ear muffs would be good.

Comment

Folks, I'm sorry but I cannot begin to fathom a situation where a table saw is the appropriate tool for cutting a piece of metal.

You do realize that there is a huge difference between feeding the blade into the work and feeding the work into the blade?

You are setting yourself up for a potential huge wreck and possible significant injury.

Even when armed with a blade having negative rake, unless you have the work securly clamped so it cannot possibly move, you are looking at potential disaster.

Comment

The metal shavings will wind up in the motor, arbor and other places that will damage the saw. I agree about the danger and would never try it.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
              Folks, I'm sorry but I cannot begin to fathom a situation where a table saw is the appropriate tool for cutting a piece of metal.

You do realize that there is a huge difference between feeding the blade into the work and feeding the work into the blade?

You are setting yourself up for a potential huge wreck and possible significant injury.

Even when armed with a blade having negative rake, unless you have the work securly clamped so it cannot possibly move, you are looking at potential disaster.
              You have a good point about the feed rate etc. It is easier to feel a circular saws feed than a TS. If I have to cut metal I use my band saw. It's a $99.00 Riobi but with a Ridgid metal blade it does a very good job. I cut up my 4511 shipping cage with my saws all, used the bottom for a pallet. Got some nice future brace work members doing that.
              And NO I do not intend to use my 4511 cutting any kind of metal. Don't care how soft it is.

Buck

Comment

I am not supporting this idea, but I doubt that it would harm the arbor and motor.
                Or rather a 1 in a million chance.
                If that was the case, then the manual would even say to keep other cutting tools AWAY from this saw (as the shavings may end up in your enclosed motor, and tightened down arbor.

Originally posted by harrison2119 View Post
                The metal shavings will wind up in the motor, arbor and other places that will damage the saw. I agree about the danger and would never try it.

Comment

In the wood shop...

Cross cuts of nonferrous metal okay on miter saw (with proper blade)...

Rip cuts of nonferrous metals should be done on something like a bandsaw (with proper blade and speed)

Other possible alternatives for rip cuts are the jig saw and or reciprocating saw (with proper blades and the material properly clamped)
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------
                  All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

I once set the plastic dust chute of a rockwell mitersaw on fire by cutting 1/4" X 2" steel flat bar with an abrasive blade.

I think I was 18 years old at the time.

Just thought I'd mention it

Comment

Wow! Thanks everyone.

I love this forum and I just started. The thought provoking input is great.

And no I won't use my TS3660 to cut metal. If nothing else I can just imagine what the metal shavings will do to the rubber belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildmacman View Post
                        And no I won't use my TS3660 to cut metal.
                        Well, I never said that.. And although, I would not. I know a lot of people that use their TS for cutting aluminum.
                        So if is up to buying a 300 machine to cut some aluminum (once), or a 30.00 blade for a 1 time use, I say just be careful. (I know I would get the blade.

Comment

Working...
                        X