X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight Magnetic dial indicator base=JOKE

I figured what the heck, it is the SAME exact one selling on Amazon under the name Grizzly (and Peachtree).
    http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G9849-...7247231&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/0-1-Dial-Indic...7247231&sr=8-8

The magnet part is neat, but precision instrument, IT IS NOT.

I checked it at the store, and it seemed ok.
    By the time I got it home, the mounted bar was bent 30 degrees.

The dial indicator is VERY sticky.

Yeah I should have figured, the item was on sale for a measly 8.99 and the DI for 9.99

So looking around I saw this one, has anybody used this one? See item # 3157 for 80.00
    http://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_products.htm#16ext
    or this one - http://www.amazon.com/PREMIUM-PRECIS...7248646&sr=8-7

On the plus side I needed a gram/ounce scale. And the little digital one works pretty darn good for 11.00
    Measuring some gold, as well some pure troy ounce silver and it was on the money for calbrated items.
    Also picked up some tarp clamps for 1.49 each, that have very good holding power.

Generally I use HF only for a quick fix item (RARELY anything mechanical or electrical) A few pipe wrenches that work ok, a few air fittings (some leak, some don't but they are cheap so the ones that leak I just throw in the bag for a return)....

Anyhow thanks for any suggestions in the under 80.00 range (that is fairly precision).

On a sad note My base for my TS (3660) has a pretty decent sized dent in the cabinet. As long as everything checks out ok, it should be fine (just aesthetics) The main orange base, looks like it was hit with a hammer (odd).
    The box was not harmed, so I guess it somehow passed QC with the dent.
    No biggy.
    Last edited by BCR; 03-21-2009, 02:30 AM. Reason: added messaging notification... (nothing else)

Re: Harbor Freight Magnetic dial indicator base=JOKE

It was probably hit by one of the old timers that used to whine about the new orange color

Comment

i got one of the dial indicators the other day and it works fine. i was going to get one of the bases but the magnet didnt seem very powerful when i tested it in the store, i was able to move it pretty easily

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
        It was probably hit by one of the old timers that used to whine about the new orange color
        Ah the good ole days. Anyone remember that guys name, Kelly something I believe, who took every opportunity to tell everyone he would no longer buy any Ridgid tools? His only reasoning was that they were orange!

As far as the HF magnetic base and dial indicator goes, mine were perfect. No complaints here. But, like most anything from HF, quality can vary from item to item.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Glad you got one that worked ok for you.

Being a certified mechanic, for 25 years, I can say that I do not trust my fingers to their tools.
          (VERY CHEAP METAL)
          And have you fellows seen their miter saws, WOW those things look dangerous.
          My brother bought one, and the fact that he will use it twice in his life, may be ok.
          But by no means a quality tool.

Some of their beefier tools are ok, for some light work (and I have some stuff, pipe wrenches, etc.. stuff that I had used in a pinch, to finish a job.)
          But even as thick as that metal is, you can tell most of the tools are pot metal.
          And yes, I had a small socket set, I broke EVERY one of those sockets.
          I think in the last 30 years, I have broke 4 Craftsman, 1 Snap On, 1 Mac, and no Matco (as I do not use Matco, except for a AC leak detector (R-12) I got from that tool guy on sale)

Originally posted by mike gager View Post
          i got one of the dial indicators the other day and it works fine. i was going to get one of the bases but the magnet didnt seem very powerful when i tested it in the store, i was able to move it pretty easily

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Ah the good ole days. Anyone remember that guys name, Kelly something I believe, who took every opportunity to tell everyone he would no longer buy any Ridgid tools? His only reasoning was that they were orange!
            I don't have a lot of posts, but I've been around here for a long time with varying faithfulness depending on life in general.

But when I first joined I remember all kinds of old timers lamenting the loss of the gray. It could get hilarious at times.

Comment

their air nailers and staplers are awesome for the price

Comment

I generally buy top stuff... but I used to try Harbor Freight or Enco once in a while. A few years ago I bought a DrillMaster 4-1/2 angle grinder for a very dirty car restoration project on which I didn't want to destroy my Dewalt. It was on sale for some ridiculous low amount, $10 or so. The thing was great. I abused it beyond belief, it got so hot you couldn't hold it, and still would not die. I still have it and it still works fine! My son was so impressed he went out and got one, the exact same model. His lasted 30 minutes on some light stuff and went up in smoke. Go figure.

Having said all that.... I don't buy foreign tools any more. Buy American! We have to take back our piece of the pie, even if it costs a few bucks more. On that subject, it really ticks me off when I buy from a US manufacturer and find that the thing was made somewhere else. Just got a Milwaukee jig saw and that was the case. Sheesh! At least the thing was probably designed in the U.S.

-Andy

Comment

while i agree in principle, that the U.S. should maintain a manufacturing base, try to remember that the tool you purchased because you thought it was made in USA would probably cost considerbly more if it had been made here, assuming the manufacturer wanted to maintain their gross profit margin.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                    I generally buy top stuff... but I used to try Harbor Freight or Enco once in a while. A few years ago I bought a DrillMaster 4-1/2 angle grinder for a very dirty car restoration project on which I didn't want to destroy my Dewalt. It was on sale for some ridiculous low amount, $10 or so. The thing was great. I abused it beyond belief, it got so hot you couldn't hold it, and still would not die. I still have it and it still works fine! My son was so impressed he went out and got one, the exact same model. His lasted 30 minutes on some light stuff and went up in smoke. Go figure.

-Andy
                    This sounds about right to me. That is exactly why you have some fans of Harbor Freight, and by all means that is fine.
                    But as you stated, is what I see more often the case, with minimal to no QC. It basically comes down to whom was on the QC line that day, to possibly get a decent tool. And this inconsistency is why I do not like buying HF.

Granted, you will always see that 1 or 2 reviews where a person got lucky (although they will not call it luck) and they pick up a 500.00 tool for 90.00
                    But knowing my luck, this will not be the case for me.
                    I have been debating one of the 8" joiners, they look well built. And I have seen good reviews, as well horror stories.
                    Thinking of getting one and putting on a good spherical cutterhead.

In a pinch I have gotten a socket, and ratchet (and I have the broken pieces of those tools to prove it).
                    Yeah, I saved them, as they have a lifetime warranty, but they are not worth my time wrangling them up to bring to the store (only to get another inferior product).

Yes paying for big box names is worth it, to me, in most cases. You are paying for a more consistent quality control.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
                      while i agree in principle, that the U.S. should maintain a manufacturing base, try to remember that the tool you purchased because you thought it was made in USA would probably cost considerbly more if it had been made here, assuming the manufacturer wanted to maintain their gross profit margin.
                      I appreciate your comment. But, a Harbor Freight jigsaw is $20. For that money, I expect it to be made offshore. However, if you pay north of $150 for a jigsaw that says "Milwaukee" on it, well, that's already "Made in the USA" money, not "Made in Asia" money. I understand that the goal of the manufacturer is to maximize their margin - and that means get it as cheap as possible and sell it as high as possible. Still, while I have nothing against other countries' workers, I would rather have my dollars go to support folks here that pay taxes here at home and spend their wages here at home. So, personally, I would be willing to pay even more for US made. Now, that's my opinion only and I surely appreciate that others may not agree or choose to spend their bucks in the same way. I just happen to think that it's a serious problem that so little stuff is actually manufactured in the US anymore.

-Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
                        I appreciate your comment. But, a Harbor Freight jigsaw is $20. For that money, I expect it to be made offshore. However, if you pay north of $150 for a jigsaw that says "Milwaukee" on it, well, that's already "Made in the USA" money, not "Made in Asia" money. I understand that the goal of the manufacturer is to maximize their margin - and that means get it as cheap as possible and sell it as high as possible. Still, while I have nothing against other countries' workers, I would rather have my dollars go to support folks here that pay taxes here at home and spend their wages here at home. So, personally, I would be willing to pay even more for US made. Now, that's my opinion only and I surely appreciate that others may not agree or choose to spend their bucks in the same way. I just happen to think that it's a serious problem that so little stuff is actually manufactured in the US anymore.

-Andy
                        According to Milwaukee's website, "Milwaukee Electric Tool is a subsidiary of Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd. (TTI), ttigroup.com.

According to TTI group, they manufacture Milwaukee, AEG, Ryobi, Stiletto, Homelite, Hoover, Dirt Devil, and VAX.

I'm not really sure that there IS a made in USA portable tool company any more.

On a brighter note, I bought the dial indicator and magnetic base from HF, and they both work great.
                        Last edited by dow; 05-26-2009, 05:09 PM.
                        De Colores,
                        Dow
                        Boerne, TX

Comment

Working...
                        X