Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodworking Software for Mac Computers?

Hello,
    I recently bought a Mac Computer and want to install some woodworking software on it.
    Does anybody use Woodworking Software or heard of any for a Mac computer?

I am currently using Delta Cad with Cutlist Plus but they don't have the Mac versions.

I have been searching the web but haven't found to much out there except for Google Sketch Up which looks promising but I still would like something for sheet layout optimization and estimating.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Woodworking Software for Mac Computers?

Try here.

A more radical solution would be to install VMWare Fusion, and then the OS of your choice, followed by the app of your choice. Any you like basically.

I can't vouch for the ww software, but VMWare is excellent.

Comment

Hi, I have not heard of such a thing. If Apple would have one they would advertise it on their site. Good luck, if I find anything I'll let you know.

Comment

I think I saw a reference to a CutList plugin available for Google SketchUp.

Comment

<http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=woodworking+software+formac&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>

Comment

sketchup does have a cutlist plug in that works pretty good

Comment

Another option, if you still have your Windows OS install disk, would be to simply install Windows on your Mac using the built-in Boot Camp software. Then you could use the DeltaCAD that you already own and are familiar with.

There are some restrictions for Boot Camp. Your Mac must be one of the newer Intel units, and only certain versions of Windows are supported. I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 on an iMac, and using the same Solid Edge CAD program that we use here at work with excellent results.

Hope that helps,
              Steve
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                Another option, if you still have your Windows OS install disk, would be to simply install Windows on your Mac using the built-in Boot Camp software. Then you could use the DeltaCAD that you already own and are familiar with.

There are some restrictions for Boot Camp. Your Mac must be one of the newer Intel units, and only certain versions of Windows are supported. I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 on an iMac, and using the same Solid Edge CAD program that we use here at work with excellent results.

Hope that helps,
                Steve
                Hi Steve,
                I was hoping not to install Windows on my Mac. I've heard about the boot camp. I was told the problem with installing Windows it is that it is an exact copy of Windows, faults and all, the reason I bought a mac was because of its operating system.

Comment

I just install the basics, delete all the extra stuff, and don't connect to the internet from WinXP. I figure it is safe that way, and I only boot from it for the CAD application. If it gets borked, I just delete the partition and create it again. It is blazingly fast. My iMac runs Solid Edge every bit as fast as the box here at work, for 1/3 the price.
                  Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I use sketchup on my mac. It works better if you don't have your scroll wheel assigned to any "Mac" functions. That way you can hold it down to orbit no matter what tool is selected.

Cutlist is interesting, although it looks like you need commercial software (cutlist plus) to make any use out of it.

i used to have a palm pilot program that was a very good cutlist layout program, but my palm is dead now.

any good free cutlist programs out there (either platform, I use VMware fusion when I HAVE to)

Comment

I found some links (not tested) for a cut list plugin for sketchup
                      http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibrary...m_fil_page.htm
                      Search for CutList when the page loads. The latest one seems to be CutListAndMaterials33.rb

Comment

Working...
                      X