X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forums, checking it out.

This is the first forum I have been to and first Post/Thred I have attmpted. Thought I might introduce myself. I love tools and woodworking specifically. I am a general contractor and garage door sales rep. I wish the housing market was better. I closed on a short sell real estate deal today and I was the seller. If you are familiar with this you feel my pain. I am looking for a simple and affordable router table. I had one I built but it has served me well and needs to be replaced. Any ideas on that I would be interested to hear. Thanks,
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-19-2009, 09:46 AM. Reason: Removed link

Re: New to forums, checking it out.

I would do a Google search for router tables. Then, look at as many different styles as you can find. Study the different features each offers and make notes as to the ones you'd like to have. Once you've compiled your list then just build one with the features you most want. Pretty much any homemade router table can be built for much less than the store bought ones.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Welcome! I would take Badger Daves advice due to the fact that "affordable" most often means lower quality. I myself bought a craftman router table about 5 years ago and regret it. Plastic and pig metal piece of junk. Either spend the money on a good one or take the time to build a better one this time based on your last experience. I am new to this forum as well and the members here are very helpful. If you ask, I am sure some members would post pictures of their own home builds to give you some ideas. I myself am going to build one to fit my table saw once I finish installing my slate flooring.

Comment

I will be building one Wednesday night. I feel like this will give me the ability to customize to my needs. I still am working out the ability to have a fence. Many of the home built tables I have seen have no fence and rely on the router bit bushing. I really do want the option of a fence. I will be routing the short ends of door stock and I think a fence will help. Thanks for all the advise.

Comment

Welcome to the fourm. There is novels of information here, I think you will be pleased
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

A shop built router table is easy, effective, and inexpensive....you can build one in an afternoon. I've never seen a cheap store bought router table that was very good.

Comment

Welcome to the forums, Doohickeyit. I hope you've found some answers already. For the fence, check out the ProMax router table fence for ideas. It's MDF with aluminum. The center opening is spanned with a metal (might be steel, but probably aluminum) piece that ties the two parts together. They put in a plastic thing in the middle that allows you to set in a standard shopvac hose. On either end, they have a rather nifty offset clamp arrangements that's tightened with large-sized plastic wing nuts. It's easy to tighten and remove.

A modification for it would be to remove the plastic piece in the center, and make the metal spanner piece something that would allow you to change the opening width.
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I bought the Kreg Precision Router table and couldn't be happier, it's expensive, but well worth it if you do a lot of routing. It was $499 and included the micro adjuster, 2 featherboards, the casters, a dvd and a push block. I thought it was a fair deal considering that you need your router table to be built well and to be precise. I know a lot of people have built very nice router tables, but this one was the right price for me.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!

Please enter your credit card information & bank routing number.

Thank You.

J.C.

Comment

Man, I hope I am not too late with this. Welcome to one of the best sources of info you could ask for as a woodworking enthusiast.

I'd be happy to ship OP the DVD and plans for Norm's version. I built mine out of scrap (except for the hardware). I won't be building another one, so I'd like to find a good home for the plans...

Comment

Working...
                    X